Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2003, 10:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

A/S salvage

I was talking recently to an A/S owner in north Florida and he mentioned a place in that area that had vintage A/S parts but I have since lost contact with the owner. Anyone out there know of any salvage/used parts in north and central Fl.
Thanks, John
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 05:35 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Bethel , Vermont
Send a message via AIM to Folkie53 Send a message via Yahoo to Folkie53
Question A/S Salvage

Scooter
There is suppose to be some guy on Hyw41 in Bradenton who rebuilds A/S to perfection. I have not as yet taken the long ride down there to find him but they say he has one of everything. Do you know of him?
Folkie
Folkie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 06:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
Camper repair in Montevallo Alabama has vintage parts and they are an Airstream Dealer...

CAMPER REPAIR CENTER
8154 Hwy 22
Montevallo, AL. 35115
Telephone: 205-665-2531
Email:
Old 03-28-2003, 06:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

The RV salvage yard in question is probably Bob's RV Used Parts, phone # 386-454-5733, 2 miles north of High Springs, on Highway 41 (also SR 441/25), Alachua County, North Central Florida. Find it on the map about 20 miles north west of Gainesville. It's 3 miles south of O'Leno State Park on 41, so you can camp in a lovely place and visit Bob. He has a large stock of Airstream parts, but I don't know about vintage units. Those of nervous disposition should deal by post. There are heart-breaking sights of several Airstreams that have been rolled over and/or ripped apart, shattering dreams, if not bodies. On the other hand, anyone considering using a marginal tow vehicle and hitch should probably take a visit. Nick.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Bethel , Vermont
Talking Thanks Nick

I will go up some time in the next week. It sounds like a place that would be both invaluable and sobering.

Folkie
Old 03-29-2003, 06:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Not to be weird

If you could take some pictures they could be instructive.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Thanks Nick

Quote:
Originally posted by Folkie53
I will go up some time in the next week. It sounds like a place that would be both invaluable and sobering.

Folkie
Hay when you go could you see if they have any windows?
I'm looking for some end windows for our 59. 59 was first year of this style and probably used through mid 60's maybe longer. If you look at the bottom edge of the window frame in the center where it rivits to the body it will have stamped HEHR and the model # I'm looking for 2140 and 2142. I want the whole assembly including the part rivited to the body. Even if the glass is broken I'd be interested if it's complete.
Let me know if you see any and I might have to make a road trip
Thanks
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 10:08 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Could you actually picture many A/S junkyards around the country? I'd prob meet most of you a lot more often, esp if it were near the domestic car junkyard!

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 12:18 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Thanks, one and all, for your response. I think the place NW of Gainesville is probably the one, haven't had a chance to call yet, will let you know what I discover.

Thanks again, John.
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 05:58 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Bethel , Vermont
O.K Guys, here is the scoop!!! Just returned from Bobs Trailer Salvage on hyw 41 north of High Springs Fl. Nick you were right it will break your heart to see all those units trashed. As for the parts that were requested a check with the personel there revealed that different makes and models may vary even within a year so therefore they do not, repeat do not do any mail order nor over the phone shipping for anyone period. ( They were quite emphatic on that last point.) Hours of business are 8:00 to 5:00 Monday thru Friday and 8:00 to 12:00 on Saturday and yes they have at least one of everything. Its like walking into the Big Lots of Travel Trailers and Motor Homes. By far most of the Motor Homes were the victims of fire while the trailers were just about all either jackknifed or had a fire of some sort. There were a couple of A/S with rear baths, if this helps to identify the time period, with the entire back end intact and as good as the day it rolled out of the factory. Someone ask about a window, better call before you go to see if they know which one you need and if it is there. Fire dept. crews break out windows when trying to put out fires and such and a jackknife, well you get the picture. Sorry no photos this time around will post some on my next visit.
Keep 'em rolling
Folkie53
Old 04-13-2003, 05:42 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Bethel , Vermont
Bobs RV Salvage in High Springs Fl

I have posted one picture of nine of the A/S he has and is parting out. Needless to say there are many more pictures and if you need a copy send me a e-mail and I'll send them to you in Zip format.
Creepy place but lots of parts.
Folkie
Old 04-18-2003, 05:22 PM   #12
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Just got back from Bob's Salvage. Did well on 3 brand new zipdee window awnings. So now all I need is the main one.

One of the AS that he has had a fire in it but there are still good exterior parts. After satnding in the burned out frount lounge all I can say is if your unit starts to burn, bail out as fast as possible. The fire on this one was hot enought to burn part of the skin.

I also got a gas pressure gauge and a compartment lock for my vintage

As folkie said, a bit creepy, but there are good parts to be had.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote

« - | Top | Fiberglass parts »