Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2022, 12:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Wyomissing , Pennsylvania
FC door handle fell off trapping us inside

The interior door handle on our 2017 FC 19 CNB just fell off, trapping us inside at West coast campground. Problem is, we just traveled from the east coast…
Am aware of previous posts addressing this problem, but am posting for two reasons. First to let everyone know that even though your black interior door handle looks quite meaty, it is not intended to be used to pull the door closed firmly. Secondly It is Friday night at 5:05 pm and Airstream tech service will not be answering their phone for three days, so am hoping someone at Airstream is monitoring this site.
Oh, and by the way, Oregon Walmart’s don’t allow overnight camping I talked to someone who managed several stores and that was their policy.
takeiteasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 12:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Sounds tad stressful. Of course you CAN climb out the emergency window but if you post a picture of the door lock and the handle there may be a way out if you have any tools inside. You may also be able to flag a neighbor down in the campground in the morning who can let you out from the outside.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 04:40 AM   #3
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
I'm Pulling For You

Hello. Take it easy.

Use the emergency exit window to leave the trailer if you are unsuccessful calling 911 or cell phoning for help. You need the a NEBO Big Larry flashlight that has earth magnet base which has three settings the last of which is a flashing red alert function which can be placed in the window or on the hood of your tow vehicle as a medical alert beacon.

Once you are out and the emergency is over and you get home you can modify the handle and re-install it. The handle is aluminum. Tap it 1/4-20, insert 1" bolt with oversized washer and reinstall on door.

Then you can pull slam the door using the handle all you want.

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 04:45 AM   #4
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
The Fix

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...ff-112482.html

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:18 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOZ View Post
I am not sure I am seeing "the fix" here.

SPP
SlowPokePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
What a nightmare!
Why don't we all know from the get-go to NOT use the "meaty" handle on exterior door to close it? I just recently found that out. I have been using the exterior door handle since I got my trailer 4 years ago. The dead bolt was replaced in March at Jackson Center. I wonder if it's related to using the door handle to close.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:18 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
COLUMBUS , Ohio
Here's a whole thread on how to release the door latch by pushing on a part of it with a screwdriver. This will work after the inside latch handle has broken.

Although the thread shows where to drill a hole in your screen door to make it easy I have found I can easily push release with a screwdriver without any mods to my screen door, once I know where the release is.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...od-150277.html
Sailorjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:22 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2023 28' Pottery Barn
2019 23' International
Tomball , Texas
https://youtu.be/8CROWN-2YnM
B17drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:27 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Door Handle came off also

My wife and I had the same issue a couple of months ago on our 2018 FC 25FB. We were camping at the National Sea shore on Padre Island. Door could not be opened from the inside and I had no tools because I store my tools in the underneath storage. If we had been boondock camping somewhere remote we would have been stuck. We had no phone coverage and no internet coverage. We finally opened the windows and waited for someone to walk by and get their attention. It did open from the outside. From now on I check the screws in the door around the handle wit a screwdriver to make sure they are tight prior to going on a trip. Neither is me of us are really able to bail out of the emergency exit window.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeiteasy View Post
The interior door handle on our 2017 FC 19 CNB just fell off, trapping us inside at West coast campground. Problem is, we just traveled from the east coast…
Am aware of previous posts addressing this problem, but am posting for two reasons. First to let everyone know that even though your black interior door handle looks quite meaty, it is not intended to be used to pull the door closed firmly.
That's a nightmare.
IF you have a Phillips screwdriver in with you you can remove the three screws that hold the faceplate. That will then allow you to toggle the lock without the handle.

You also reminded me to install the "handle" I've been carrying around. It's a basic cabinet handle, but I'll mount it above the latch handle and provide a place to pull.
Credit: I stole borrowed this fine image from Sheriff II. You get the idea.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
That's a nightmare.
IF you have a Phillips screwdriver in with you you can remove the three screws that hold the faceplate. That will then allow you to toggle the lock without the handle.

You also reminded me to install the "handle" I've been carrying around. It's a basic cabinet handle, but I'll mount it above the latch handle and provide a place to pull.
Credit: I stole borrowed this fine image from Sheriff II. You get the idea.
I did the same thing.
It is not a question as to whether your door handle will fall off, it's when.

When you take it apart you can see why repeated pulling on the handle will eventually lead to a failure.

So the solution is to install an additional handle for pulling, and the use the black handle for activating the latch (usually with your thumb, my 4 year old grand-daughter got it right away).
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:43 AM   #12
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
FC door handle fell off trapping us inside

Here’s the fix to prevent it happening. Courtesy of GMFL here on the forums.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKjn75mh...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:04 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Here’s the fix to prevent it happening. Courtesy of GMFL here on the forums.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKjn75mh...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
This is 100% the best option. Requires a thread tap, but it's an easy 10-15 minute job and costs a bolt and two washers. I suggest a stainless bolt "just because". It was the second mod I made to my Caravel.
RickBullotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Nice fix, too bad he didn't give the sizes of the washers and length of screw.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I did this modification. It’s super easy. The screw is a 10-24 x 1”. Make sure you use fender washers because they are thin, and use a low profile 10-24 machine screw. If the screw head sits up too high, then it will interfere with the door latch mechanism. I used a fender washer with a 1/2” inner diameter for the lower washer and it fit perfectly. For the top washer, I think I used one with a 1/4” hole.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 01:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I did this modification. It’s super easy. The screw is a 10-24 x 1”. Make sure you use fender washers because they are thin, and use a low profile 10-24 machine screw. If the screw head sits up too high, then it will interfere with the door latch mechanism. I used a fender washer with a 1/2” inner diameter for the lower washer and it fit perfectly. For the top washer, I think I used one with a 1/4” hole.
I just did the mod. Used fender washers- drilled the bottom one out to 9/16". A 1" screw was too long for mine, I needed 10-24 x 3/4".
Old 06-07-2022, 09:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I did the pull handle mod today. I thought it was a great idea. I bought a cabinet handle at Home Depot for the door. My lock is a little bit stiff/difficult to move so I need to make a few minor adjustments and possibly lubricate it, but overall I’m happy with this little project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4183AB64-6AD0-443E-A2E6-9DE076E12BE0.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	417104  

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 06-07-2022, 11:50 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Wyomissing , Pennsylvania
Update: loose handle lock-in issue

Thanks everyone for great advice. I called airstream support Monday morning and they provided no help or advice. What really helped were the suggested videos, except the Instagram one; which was incomplete (old maybe?).Here’s a link to one that was very informative and complete:

https://youtu.be/T12DszpleVU

If you’re near a reasonable hardware store, the DIY video is doable for a novice. I would suggest not buying a replacement latch mechanism, until you can be sure the vendor has addressed the lousy engineering on your original latch mechanism. It will just happen again.

Was able to trip broken latch from the inside with a Phillips head screw driver, without drilling any holes; it’s now part of my inside trailer toolkit. Couldn’t remove faceplate with doors closed though, because screen door blocked access to faceplate screws, so had to get main door open first. Then easy to remove faceplate from the outside.

Thanks again everyone!
takeiteasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Glad you got it open and did the mod. This site has been very helpful for me in the past when I’ve had trouble on the road.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 06-08-2022, 08:53 AM   #20
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeiteasy View Post
What really helped were the suggested videos, except the Instagram one; which was incomplete (old maybe?).

The Instagram post is six short videos and you swipe right to see each one. Sounds like you only saw the first one and not the next five?
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote