Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2021, 08:41 PM   #1

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Fresh Water tank leaking out- where are valves to close on 19' FLying CLoud?

First post- thx all for help.

First time around getting our newly bought 2018 19' Flying Cloud ready for the season. Trying to sanitize the fresh water tank & water heater, but the tank is just leaking out from the front low point drain under the front dinette all over the driveway!

There must be a drain valve that's open, but I can't find it in the manual or a good picture anywhere! The manual says there are petcock valves under the trailer, but there is no such thing. I've looked under the dinette where the water pump is but also am having no luck.

Forgive (what I suspect) is my ignorance, and thank you in advance.
Boognut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:33 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Fresh water drain/valve on my 2016 FC is located between the tires on the utility side of the trailer. I would share a photo but my trailer is still in storage.
Chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I'm sorry but I don't know the locations for a 19 footer. The general principle is that when Airstream doesn't put the low point valve under the trailer, they usually put it inside right above where the drain comes down through the floor/belly pan. It's probably inside a cabinet or inside a storage area.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:09 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
I just realized the question was regarding a 19’, my answer was for 28’, so probably not much help!
Chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
kent , Washington
I have 2001 19' Bambi. In mine they are located under the dinette bench, street side. Take off the seat cushions. Mine has a small access hole, just reach down there and turn the 2 valves off. Or, you can take off the 4 screws holding the bench seat and see what other goodies are under the bench.
stunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:39 AM   #6

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Are they petcock valves? What do they look like? Post a pic?

Stunami-

Sorry, but there is no picture in the manual, and I'm struggling finding one anywhere. If you're able to describe or send a picture, I'd be so grateful.

Thx, Ted
Old 04-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Lander , Wyoming
The front low point drains are located under the edge of the water heater, mostly hidden by piping. Take the front dinette seat cushion off and open the access door for the water heater. If you feel around under the water heater you should find the two drain valves. They are quarter turn plastic valves mounted right on the floor. I would take a picture but it would be really hard to see them.
Wetfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Stunami is correct. Under the cushions, inside the bench on the street side. If you can’t see them thru the access hole, easy enough to remove the plywood.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:18 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Lift off the dinette seat cushion on street side of the trailer. Under the seat cushion is an access cover - remove that. Now you have access to the fresh water tank, the electrical sstem's rat nest of wires, and your drain valves. There are two drain valves - one for the fresh water tank and one for the water lines that are past the water pump. Make sure the little handle on the valve is perpendicular to the water lines. If the handle is in-line with the water line, it is in the "open" position allowing the water to drain out.

I hope this helps.
CanonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:43 PM   #10

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Found 'em, but can't turn 'em!

Thx all for your help with this.

I'm pretty sure I've found them- little black valves (1" or less in size) on the small pipe lines (1/4"?) that are clearly the same pipes that lead out of the floor of the camper, and outside are called the "low point." (I would send a pic but having

The one for the pump is closed (perpendicular to the pipe), but the one from the fresh H2O tank is open (in line with the pipe). My problem now- I can't budge either one of them at all. The little valve handle is held in place with a screw, so I even tested what unscrewing it would do, and the answer is- nothing...still can't move them.

I also checked if a vacuum might be keeping them from moving, but that doesn't make any sense with the air exchange valve at the water fill for the fresh H2O tank.

Thoughts? Help.

It bodes poorly that it's been so hard to find a picture of them- none in manual, online etc.

Thx, y'all.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:30 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognut View Post
Thx all for your help with this.

I'm pretty sure I've found them- little black valves (1" or less in size) on the small pipe lines (1/4"?) that are clearly the same pipes that lead out of the floor of the camper, and outside are called the "low point." (I would send a pic but having

The one for the pump is closed (perpendicular to the pipe), but the one from the fresh H2O tank is open (in line with the pipe). My problem now- I can't budge either one of them at all. The little valve handle is held in place with a screw, so I even tested what unscrewing it would do, and the answer is- nothing...still can't move them.

I also checked if a vacuum might be keeping them from moving, but that doesn't make any sense with the air exchange valve at the water fill for the fresh H2O tank.

Thoughts? Help.

It bodes poorly that it's been so hard to find a picture of them- none in manual, online etc.

Thx, y'all.

Yes, they can be hard to turn, initially. Try turning in each direction (ie: to the right, to the left) to make sure you are turning in the "correct" direction. use a little more force than you think you need to - just don't overdo it.

Leave the little screw tight, otherwise the valve is likely to separate. You might have to work it for a little while. It seems maybe it has been in this position for some time now since I notice it is a 2018 model. If it is a new trailer to you, the PO might have had it in this position for quite a long time. (Just guessing on my part.)
CanonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:04 PM   #12

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
THx, CanonFan and others. I'll check it out asap. They are REALLY stuck, and I plan to boondock much of the time, so I don't want to damage them but I need to get them moving when I have time for this during the coming weekend.