Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Newport , North Carolina
what can the kids do?

We have been working a lot on fixing up our 65 overlander. The kids are kind of sick of us working on it. We are trying to get things done so we can have fun as a family this year camping. Are there jobs that you have found work out well for the kids. They want to help and we want them to help too, but some of the stuff is just too hard for them. Any ideas? My daughter did help wash the outside, and they did a little cleaning inside with simple green.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I bought a small orbital buffer and with the alcoa wheels removed my daughter buffed them out with the polish designed for this purpose.. it took her several hours each wheel but they look great! After that she doesnt ask to help anymore!

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
One of my boyhood friends had a father who would encourage and help him to work on a variety of projects. If soldering needed to be done, his father would show him the proper way then allow him to do the work. If it was wiring an engine, building a hot rod, making cabinets, whatever, his father would walk him thru the steps to do the work then allow him to do it. This taught him how to work on just about anything, but it also taught him to not be afraid to tackle any project, by first thinking it through then proceeding. Gerald eventually went to the U of Wash and got a masters degree in Elec. Engineering finishing at the top of his class. After working for a couple firms, he started his own company based around an invention of his called Bladder Scan which uses ultrasound to determine bladder volume. He now has over 100 empolyees, he provides a variety of very necessary tools to the medical profession and he has made himself quite wealthy in the process. And, it all got started because his dad took the time to show him how to do things, anything, right, then allowed him to do the work.

His company is Diagnostic Ultrasound, now Verathon: Welcome to Verathon Inc. - Makers of BladderScan(R) and GlideScope(R)
Old 12-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Lynn, and I believe that we have done a great job of raising our daughter (now 37) and son (33) by involving them 'with' our acivities. Now we marvel how our daughter and our son-in-law include our 2 grandsons in their every day activities. Our son does not have children but he is great with them. There is almost always something your children can do 'with' you. It may take some time away from your goal but you will never regret it. I don't know how old your kids are but obviously some portion of your project can be tailored to their ability. I commend you for wanting to involve them. A lot of today's social problems can be attributed to parents ignoring their kids, Take the time!
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Newport , North Carolina
Well today as we put in the new floor in the bathroom my 5 yr old took some pictures of the progress. Our 9 yr old took all her dad's tools out of the tool box and laid them out in rows on the bed. When we needed a tool she got the one we needed. I hope they learn a lot from all this. We are also a homeschool family so I teach my daughter lots from what we are doing on the AS. For instance we needed to measure all windows for the bulb seal and then figure out how many rolls of seal we needed. We are also planning to travel in the camper as part of our schooling.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
If you have aluminum tanks and your daughter doesn't mind getting dirty, a good one would be to sand & polish the tanks - no power tools necessarily involved. You know how little girls like bright & shiney things...I did most of it by hand with Never Dull their little hands can get in all the nooks a crannies better.

You may have to finish it up to get final shiny appearance, but any progress is helpful ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Keep in mind that by allowing your daughter to hand tools to her dad, you are teaching her how to be a craftsman's assistant. By allowing her to actually turn the wrenches, you teach her how to be a craftsman (craftsperson).
Old 12-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
more than meets the eye

Helping out on an interesting project has many great learning advantages. I will always remember the "click" and "light" of learning that went on in the eyes of a young helper I had working on an airplane. He was amazed that you could actually use geometry in real life...it started with laying out a simple star pattern to be painted on a wing.....went on to metal work. Many of the Airstream projects lend themselves to similar teaching and learning experiences. History, math, art, reading...on and on. Now thats involvement.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote