Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Michelle...that's a picture of the trailer at the sellers house. I won't go get it until the middle of October. UGH! I'll fly to NC and Bob and I will drive up to Michigan to get it and pull it home. I'll let you dangle your feet in the Koi pond, but no swimming pool here yet. The long trailer will spend the winter beside the house being "personalized" and then go to the lake. The Argosy is now for "pullin" not just "sittin".
Uhhh...Let me get this straight...You're flying to North Carolina, then driving back to Michigan? Then towing the trailer back home? What are you pulling it back with, the Airplane? I better update my scorecard.
Other than the towing it back question, it looks nice, I've seen it for sale in the classifieds.
On edit, maybe I should delete the ad, it's still listed for sale...
Old 09-24-2007, 05:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I'll let the seller know he needs to delete the ad. Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm flying to NC to meet my husband who's there building a large retail outlet. He's driving a brand new Ford F-150 with towing package. Wish we could fly the 31 footer home. I'm sure pulling something that long home will be a Lucy and Ricky trip for Bob and me. I'm a horrible back seat driver. He's a "we should be able to pull this thing at 70MPH" driver. We'll be pulling it home down Hwy 55 to St. Louis from Michigan, then I-44 into Oklahoma. You've been warned!!!
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
I'll let the seller know he needs to delete the ad. Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm flying to NC to meet my husband who's there building a large retail outlet. He's driving a brand new Ford F-150 with towing package. Wish we could fly the 31 footer home. I'm sure pulling something that long home will be a Lucy and Ricky trip for Bob and me. I'm a horrible back seat driver. He's a "we should be able to pull this thing at 70MPH" driver. We'll be pulling it home down Hwy 55 to St. Louis from Michigan, then I-44 into Oklahoma. You've been warned!!!
Donna could tell you all about back seat drivers since I've taken to riding shot gun. I just can't help it, but I do really only have her (our) best interests at heart, just like you, right?

Take lots of photos and maybe you can include them in a book some day and make lots of money. How long a drive are you anticipating? I've got little knowledge of the areas you are hauling through it's been so many years since I was down that way (eeks, adding it up it is longer than I thought I'd actually live).

Barry
Old 09-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #24
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Juel,

Welcome again to the club. I have my 75 Argosy 28 parked facing my 79 A/S 31 in the pasture right now. I can sit in one and look across to the other and think, "I should be working on THAT one." Lately I've come up with the crazy idea that I should fix the Argosy to go "camping" (forum style) and the Airstream to go "touring" (also forum style). I plugged the Argo in for the first time in a year yesterday, and the fridge is still making cold and the inverter making lights. What a strange feeling after having it so long and being SO familiar with it. Moving it the short distance from the house to the pasture yesterday, I couldn't resist it. It took it out on the road and pulled it around a 20 mile loop purely for the hell and fun of it. That Argo is one sure-footed beast to pull - always has been.

But, ah, the 'Stream. Mine, mine , mine! Crazy feelings, but I love them both.

I'm happy for you, Juel. Those beds are no bigger, really, and the bathroom really has to more horizontal footage for feet, but they feel really different.

I got Betsy in Grand Rapids, Michigan, by the way. I drove up there in April and they had SNOW. Heck, what do I know about SNOW? I probably know more about alligators.
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:23 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
SafeHarbor and Safari57, thanks for the input. I love my 24ft Argosy and cannot think I would ever get rid of it. I just love to sit and look at it. They are such classy looking trailers. Pulling a 24ft is fun, pulling this 31ft makes me nervous just to think about. The Argosy will be for traveling and the Sovereign will stay at the lake property in one place. At least that's our plan. We are seriously considering putting a bigger bed in the 31ft. I really don't know how much room there is back there, but that's our plan right now. Also not having to push the bed up to get to the bathroom and crawl over someone to get out of bed will be nice. For the winter both trailers will be sitting in the side yard and I'll be doing the same thing we all do. Sitting in one and looking at the other. It's an 800 mile drive home from Michigan, hope the marriage lasts. Gees, more important....hope the trailer makes it. Bob is a saint about my nagging from the passanger seat. He drives like a mad man, but he's good tempered.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:05 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Donna has come up, with help from her friends in the car club, with the ideal tools a lady TV driver needs when they have a male passenger seat coach. According to the ladies:
  • Duct Tape - it works extremely well for the passengers mouth and to keep the bag on (see next bullet) as well as for the hands and feet. It can also be judiciously applied to the seat belt buckle so the passenger can't reach it and jump out and scream for help, or kiss the ground whenever the TV stops moving.
  • Brown Paper Bag - it works better if it is pulled over the head and then tightly duct taped around the neck. Depending upon how much coaching has already been provided on this trip it is important to note that the tightness of the duct tape should NOT cause the passengers airways to be closed off. Some restrictions may be appropriate, but not all the way shut. Explaining this to a male State Trooper may not get the same level of understanding as to a female version if you do happen to do it too tightly and the passenger has quit breathing for several hours. Also, tape marks are hard to explain to the individuals doing the autopsy, so caution is strongly suggested. Also, after several trips it is noted that cutting eye holes only causes the passenger to react with certain body language like stomping their foot on the floor as if to engage the brakes when you are coming up too quickly for their liking to stop signs, red lights, large trucks, big pot holes, etc. so eye holes are not recommended. If you happen to use a plastic bag instead of a brown paper bag (the preferred version is bpb) then make sure there are at least some breathing holes provided.
  • Box Cutters - No, not to threaten the passenger although in the right situation they can be used for this purpose anyways, but to remove the duct tape and the paper bag. Particularly when several layers of tape are applied.
  • Note that male "driver coaching" passengers complain about mustache, beard and side burn removal when the tape is removed "quickly". The proper response to this is "suck it up princess - you try being a female and having to shave and rip the hair off your legs and under your arms, and yes, even your mustache and on your chin as you get older, for your entire adult life, and you will understand, so a little tearsie wearsie for that poor little boy, oh boo hoo".
  • Radio, CD Player, Camera, CB, etc. - have LOTS of toys to keep the passenger occupied, particularly if it's a male who was formerly the designated driver. If any of the above happens to have a remote even better.
So, that would be what I get now that I'm the passenger. You may want to bear this in mind on your long journey as I'm sure the male contingent on this forum could come up with a female version of the above .

Take care,
Barry
Old 09-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Donna and her friends sound like a wild bunch. I'd show this to my husband but I'm thinking it would scare him. He knows that I feel duct tape is one of the necessities of life. I don't travel without it. Now he will know why. He thought it was for temporary repairs. HA!