Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Carol, I like the way you think.

I got one. Fashion a mouse harness and to it tie a string.
Attach small scruffy pads to the mouse feet soaked in turd remover, by way of the toilet, lower them into your black tank(drained of course) and have them do some black tank scrubbing.
Michael
michael, you might have something there! as they swim to the sides, they can clean those dirty tank sensors while trying to climb out. when it reads correctly, you flush them to freedom as a reward!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
man this thread is great.
kstampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Dusting mice: These have little feathers taped to their feet and wear tiny mouse pampers so they can do no further damage and are given free reign over the trailer.

Carol
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
They would need muzzles so they couldn't chew but what an idea dishwashing mice too.
Gypsy Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
One morning I found a mouse in a wine bottle laying on it's side. The mouse had drank some of the left over wine because I had to gently shake the bottle several times to wake it. I just laid the bottle outside at an angle so it could get out when it sobered up. This trap might work for you, but don't just release it outside near the TT or he'll just come back in at the next happy hour.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Dishwashing Mice:
Use fishing line instead of string for leash, cut out carefully one small bubblewrap keeping bubble intact, cut off finger tip of plastic glove and insert end 8-10" piece of thin diameter tubing at tip, glue into place, then insert other end of tubing into bubble, sealing junction quickly with Gorilla glue so air does not escape.
Then insert mouse head into open cut end of glove tip and tape tightly shut around mouse neck. Device will now operate as time limited mouse scuba gear.
Finally attach small pieces of sponge to mouse feet, hook small metal fishing sinker onto leash to keep mouse submerged and toss mouse into sink full of dirty dishes and soapy water and let him scramble around....

Carol
Old 07-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #27
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hello again - not to distract you from all those inventive ideas (I'm going to pass some on to my sister, whose house was overrun by these critters this year), but thought I would post this from the website I was referring to above. This stuff is guaranteed and if you establish the monthly shipment, it is delivered free. I highly recommend you try it out

PS If you purchase the larger pack of 12, you get it for even less (that's what I did)

$14.95
3. Starter Pack (Autoship)
You receive 4 pouches of Fresh Cab shipped automatically every 3 months. You'll "always remember the Fresh Cab" and be mouse and rodent free all year long - guaranteed! Safe for your family, pets, or farm animals.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
When we had farm animals the rats got so bold that they would not even run from us. We got his and her matching bb guns and had target practice. We also had to store the feed in galvanized tubs rather than plastic.I still think a nice cat would be your best bet. We have two outdoor guys and they have kept us rodent free. Of course you have espect gifts of thier trophies on your back door mat.We have 4 indoor cats-no mice.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Thank you for snapping me back into reality...

I clicked on the product in your message, read all the info, googled "Fresh Cab" and then clicked on the "Goodearthenterprises.com" response, read more info on it, then clicked at the bottom at Customer Quotes. Hmm....sounds good

I had tried another variation offered at my hardware store, like a bunch of teabags filled with a spearmint concoction which made my trailer smell nice but didn't see any change in mouse activity. This though sounds like it has more going for it.

When I attempted to leave the "Fresh Cab" website, a pop up window appeared saying, "Wait a minute, we have a special offer." I clicked on that and a new window opened where I could, "Talk to Steve." He busily typed in the new discount offer, but when I replied asking, "How about a free one to try and if it works, I'll sign up?"
I got the discount offer reoffered, then I replied, "What about that free one?
Steve wrote back he didn't have an answer to that question, could I please rephrase my question. Guess I'll have to buy one....

Have any of you Airstreamers used this product?

Carol
Old 07-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Danalee,

Just saw your message. You know I had been thinking about bringing my two indoor cats from home up to the trailer to try that, but was real edgy about the possibility of the dogs knocking the screen door open or a fast cat get away while we were entering or leaving the trailer.

Then after my bear party crasher, I realized if I had them up there then with me, (imagine how amiable and conducive to handling those cats would have been after one sniff of bear breath) I would have never been able to grab them and get everyone to safety. So the cats stay home...

Carol
Old 07-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Carol, We have brought Baby cat with us this time just to see how she does. When we got home after being gone 8 days she cried for two days and was sooo needy we just thought she might like camping. So far so good. We do have to watch the screen door because she likes to get away. I think you are right though you might have suffered more damage form the cats than the bear. LOL
Old 07-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
I would try a combination of traps....the sticky traps and the snap-traps (baited with a mix of peanut butter, oatmeal, and chopped nuts). I have had great success with snap-traps, but some mice (and rats) can become trap shy....hence, the sticky traps as a back-up.

Placement of traps is important! If you know of a place where they hang out (evidenced by droppings), I would place the trap(s) along a wall edge nearby, not right where the droppings are found. If they are feeding in an area, place a snap-trap in the vicinity.

There is a foam filler you can buy to plug around holes where they are getting in. However, I think that our Airstreams just have too many places to fill!

Once you think you have gotten rid of the mice/rats, I would still keep traps in place! All it takes is one pregnant female to take up residence....

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 07-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
I've been trying some stuff I got at home depot.called critter ritter.Its like pepper spray for rodents it says don't put on anything architectural so I've spraying it on a rag and putting it in hot spots seems to be working some.Note I am dealing with pack rat.It got him to move from the top of my holding tank in other mh. Course after that he wants to move into my Argosy I have been using it in there with some success.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I think the ideas to put the mice to work are clever and fun. However, remember if you decide to try one of these, that you need to plug their bodily function exit holes (to put it succinctly), especially for the dishes! EW!
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #35
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hi again Carol - I asked to try one also, before I bought (last year) and they couldn't do as they are a fairly small company trying to grow. They may be more receptive now as I think the product is showing success and they are getting repeat business. As I said on the other "Mice" post, they sent me a notice indicating it is now being carried at some of the ACE Hardware stores. You might ck that locally and see if one near you has it. They might be selling individually. I can tell you that the website people said any less than 3 of the packets placed within your trailer would not work as it needs to be "thruout" . I ended up placing most of mine toward the back of the trailer as we think they might still have access thru the rear bumper into the back bath closet. We also did the mouse traps to rid the trailer first as I don't know that the FreshCab will make a whole family (or more) leave? PS: I am using 4 pckts in my 22' Argosy. With the guarantee tho, if you find it isn't for you, just return.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is not necessarily a mouse-help post, but a what-to-whack-em-with post. Maggie's daughter worked several summers during college at a Girl Scout camp. The raccoons were so big and bold that after the first summer she asked for a mag-light to hit the brazen critters in the head when they came into her tent at night----as they were afraid of nothing and noone. Got her the mag-light, no more raccoons.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #37
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We had a problem with mice where I work. A rock and gravel company moved next door and the displaced mice found a home in our building. They put small sonic devices all over the place to drive them away. To my surprise, the mice were gone in a few days. You do need AC power to use these plug in units.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
I always wondered if those worked. Did they get just regular ones you can by in a store? Think they would work on a rat?
Old 07-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #39
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Post Mouse 'O' Money

YOU CAN EARN BIG BUCKS AT HOME OR
IN YOUR TRAILER

Yes, it's true!

Earn fast cash as a critter control tester.
We have manufactures standing by with exciting new products that need testing.

Currently looking for the following placement testers:

1. Mousers, premium anti wetness diaper PLUS built-in chastity belt , with pull N stick closures.

2. Crispy Critter Corral. Mouse ride'n, rope'n and brand'n.
Critters enter what seems to be a fun night out-on-the- town only to end up completing a high voltage circuit while posing for photos with life size Micky and Minnie cardboard cutouts.

3. Mouse 'O' leum, The little buggers think their visiting long lost loved ones. Mice are trapped in little clear cubicles which only encourages more unsuspecting visitors. Ghastly!

Fur'B'gone, Corn pellets laced with the left over stuff the CIA used when trying to get Castro's beard to fall out, no really! No fur, no fun mister. Ladies just don't go for furless fellows. No mating = no problems!

WAR, that's right! Spread rumors. Dirty little mouse rumors printed on mouse size post it notes. Within a few days those fuzzy fiends are going at it full tilt. Sit back arm chair generals, and enjoy all the hot mouse-on-mouse action.

The Breeders Cup. The boys get together for a night out on the town. Female Pheromone laced mouse thongs placed on a floating beer can inside a red 5 gallon plastic pail filled with water. ladder leads up to the pail edge, where the horny dude's jump for the thongie goodness only to meet a watery demise. Typical.

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
New Product: MousePower!

On those cloudy days when you are boondocking and the solar panel is not cranking it in, pull off all those mice that are stuck on the sticky pads and throw them into our new MousePower generator. We have wired up a bank of hamster exercise wheels and placed them into a cat carrier box for portability. There are optional accessories available to connect additional boxes to really get your power up to it's maximum capacity. Go Green, go Fur....

Tags
bears, burning man, mice