Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Fireworks were permitted at a County Park we hosted at. It was on the salt water and everyone fired into the bay. Worked well, the kids and adults had a great time and cleaned-up the next morning. One year, a bottle rocket went backwards, caught fire to a awning. We were called, the adults involved offered to pay for the damage, but the RV hard-head sued the county instead. End of fun at campground.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
One thing she insists on is that the door step be retracted at night. With the Clipper being up off the ground, it would be difficult for an intruder to get the leverage to attempt entry, or do damage without some effort. (Most of these guys I would think have little ambition and would prefer an easy target).
Dave
Good idea!
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
this woman... put the cup of coffee between her knees and spilled the coffee when she pulled the lid off.
Sounds like she should have sued the mfg of the car she was driving due to it obviously lacking a cup holder.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
Sounds like she should have sued the mfg of the car she was driving due to it obviously lacking a cup holder.
Good point. I think cup holders have been required by NHTSA since at least the 70's or 80's. Now we know why.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Walmart Issue

I realize this is already a long thread, but thought I needed to comment... I just penned a letter to Walmart thanking them for their gracious hospitality. We frequently make Walmart-over-night stays when we travel. As mentioned by others, we drive hard and frequently late into the nights. After a long day on the road it is great to watch for the big Walmart sign and pull into the lot and hunker down for the night. In the AM we're inside picking up supplies (we make it a point to go in and support the folks that are so very gracious to us). This is a great option for those of us that are on a bit more of a time crunch when traveling. If you're not retired, you might share our perspective on the service this represents. If you appreciate their making this available, I might suggest letting them know. Sometimes a simple "Thank you" is the difference between going the extra mile or not... ...just say'in...

Here's to a terrific year of 'streaming! Happy New Year to all of our fellow Streamers!
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #46
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Valentines Day

Great idea.

Maybe everyone who has docked at the WM on a non scheduled stop, should get organized and sign and send an email Valentines Card of Love and Thanks. It might even make the press on the positive side.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sammamish , Washington
It seems that the real problem is not the hot coffee at McDonalds or the intruder at Walmart, it is the lawyers going after "deep pockets." On the other hand, someone has to pay for the ammunition.
PJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Deep pockets.

And the judges that allow them to. Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJohnson View Post
It seems that the real problem is not the hot coffee at McDonalds or the intruder at Walmart, it is the lawyers going after "deep pockets." On the other hand, someone has to pay for the ammunition.
Need to adopt the "English Rule" whereby the plaintiff in an unsuccessful lawsuit has to pay the defendant's legal expenses. That would make the "lawsuit lottery" considerably less attractive.

Unfortunately it will never happen as long as the government is run by lawyers.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Another neat English rule: If you lose your appeal against conviction, you must start your prison term over from scratch.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
La Crescent , Minnesota
Our judicial system allows for juries. They hear the evidence, arrive at a unanimous verdict and determin the outcome. I trust my fellow citizens judgment.

Jay
mjayjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I trust my fellow citizens

Todays Headline. Texan, in prison 30 years, cleared of rape and robbery. Cornelius Dupree. Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjayjensen View Post
Our judicial system allows for juries. They hear the evidence, arrive at a unanimous verdict and determin the outcome. I trust my fellow citizens judgment.

Jay
I've been on several juries and the problem that I've seen is that the judge is free to decide what evidence you can and can't hear and what issues you are allowed to consider. The issue is usually decided in the jury room by answering a questionaire supplied by the judge and the jurists are only allowed to answer yea or nay to these questions and are blocked from addressing any other questions that may have occurred to them during the trial. It's because of this system that juries in Texas often are made coconspirators in the "convict at all costs" philosophy championed by most prosecuting attorneys. Justice is apparently only an occasional byproduct of the legal system and the civil system is influenced in the same manner as in the criminal system, and for many suits the trial is just a formality to authenticate the predetermined outcome.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #54
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Faith in juries, as in "if it doesn't fit, you can't convict"?

Please.

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
I've been on several juries and the problem that I've seen is that the judge is free to decide what evidence you can and can't hear and what issues you are allowed to consider. The issue is usually decided in the jury room by answering a questionaire supplied by the judge and the jurists are only allowed to answer yea or nay to these questions and are blocked from addressing any other questions that may have occurred to them during the trial. It's because of this system that juries in Texas often are made coconspirators in the "convict at all costs" philosophy championed by most prosecuting attorneys. Justice is apparently only an occasional byproduct of the legal system and the civil system is influenced in the same manner as in the criminal system, and for many suits the trial is just a formality to authenticate the predetermined outcome.
Spend a few minutes looking through this site. Fully Informed Jury Association
Fully Informed Jury Association

You may change your idea of what a jury can and can't do.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Doesn't everyone owe us all something?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote