Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Airstream: For Better or Worse

I purchased a new 2006 23 foot Safari off the RV Lot in Denver. Our first trailer after tent camping for several decades. Never considered a trailer. It was for old people. Never wanted, looked, thought about anything with wheels.

Tent camping suited us fine.

But... I knew there was a trailer... Airstream. Went to a RV Dealership 'just to take a look', found the 23 foot Safari could be towed behind our 2006 Tundra and were Airstream Owners. OoooYeee!

Then... ‘things’ began to come apart. Quit working. Cabinet door warped. Dust accumulated on the floors in small piles from wheel well gaps, refrigerator broke an ammonia line that leaked (Camping World and a partial cost replacement), and you get it.

Made an appointment with Jackson Center, Ohio and had a long list of issues. Thought the warranty was for two years and surprised to discover... three. We did not waste any time.

Everything was fixed. Everything. The two Airstream Servicemen even found other obscure things. We put $50 each, in two envelopes and when leaving said Thank You... and off we went. Back home in our Airstream. Satisfied, finally.

We were now 100% satisfied customers. Our 23 footer was our away from home on wheels and used it more often than our second purchase. Forbid... SECOND.

The second Airstream was our 2014 25 foot International Signature CCM. We discovered if you buy an Airstream... the first one will be a bit... tight for space. A 25 Foot solved that. It looked fancy to us and very comfortable, roomy, as well.

We had fewer problems with the 25 foot. The hardware could be resolved myself, the refrigerator fan was noisy needed several replacements, replacing hinges kinds of things. The Dexter brakes were self adjusting but that could be up for debate. I needed to replace all four to have competent brakes, out of pocket, even though we used it much less than the 2006. After four years... this trailer was 100%. All on our dime, but nickels and dimes. Not dollars like the 2006.

We put the 2014 up for sale and within a week we had a couple interested in it. We were going to buy a cabin in an area we like to trailer camp and maybe sell the trailer first and then begin to look for a... cabin. We sold it, tossed in the Equalizer Hitch and whatever else went with a trailer. Had no need for parts any longer. Especially when you buy a spare part when one goes bad, kind of thing. You are guraranteed that this part will NEVER be needed when you have spares. It proved true.

Tent camping. When the sun sets a 6PM and rises at 5AM it does restrict playing cards, reading a book leaning against some sofa cushion, snacks in the fridge were just memories. No cabin to be found that we would want to live in or near. This was not working out and we rationalized why we no longer needed the trailer and tent camping... well, the small tent was crowded with two hominids and our two Blue Heelers. A family in a tent option. Although no fleas to mention...

Several days ago I had enough of acting happy that the 25 footer was being enjoyed by a happy couple. I doubted that they would sell it back to us.

Tent camping was more interesting when young. Believe me. Could not wait to go camping in the wilderness. Often.

I said we are going to check out an Airstream. This was Out of the Blue and about 6AM. A cabin was a great idea but the sellers were optimistic and looking for someone who would restore what they spent years putting the cabin to ruin due to the snow and wild beasts that feast on fresh pine logs.

......We expect to pick up our new 2019 27 foot Front Bed Internatinal CCD next Friday. Considering the dealer had the 2020’s stowed away in the fenced in lot and not available. There were current 2019 stock needing homes... and flexible in price, maybe yes? Maybe No? We Listened to stories about barely covering overhead and a hungry family and... well we did our part as well as compulsive nickel Video Poker players down on our luck looking for a trailer in the event we became tentless and had no where else to go... kind of banter.

We both had a little bit more spring in our steps, holding back our grins, looking disappointed in how everything worked out.

For better or worse... we still find Airstream our home on wheels. Oliver was a fine trailer, but we needed more space, for whatever reason it is lost on me... but like they say “You can’t take it with you.” Well we probably will manage to do that, as well, and now you heard our story... what is yours?

For better or worse we will climb over this 2019 and find whatever needs to be fixed before we leave a dime in an envelope at the dealership. After sweating for nine hours in 110 degree liquid sunshine... most everything was functioning. Now we shall add water, check solar and so on. We enjoyed our tent camping. Try it yourself. You will be back in an Airstream in a couple months like us.

What is your story?
Old 08-23-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Ray, you taught us to boondock in Colorado in out 23. We now have a 2019 Globetrotter. No problems so far. It is lifted but no other major mods so far.

Dave & Dixie
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Congratulations! That's my dream trailer: perfect space and efficiency. What a nice change and your puppies will appreciate it, too!

Dave and I have been backpacking more this Summer. I keep asking myself "why I am doing this? Sweaty hot, tachycardic, tachypneic....augh! And I was thinking "Ray is still finding joy with this.." Trailer trip planned for late Sept through October now. Oregon to New Mexico to visit our kids, then to San Diego to visit more children. Any route suggestions would be appreciated.

Once again, congrats! Just lovely!

Susan
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:18 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
"Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in."
hahahah. Glad you're sticking around here.

You planning on testing your boondocking limits in a 27 footer or are you going to become more of a 'gentleman camper' this time around?
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
"Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in."
hahahah. Glad you're sticking around here.

You planning on testing your boondocking limits in a 27 footer or are you going to become more of a 'gentleman camper' this time around?

Once having been a stray dog it is difficult to change. It is mind over matter.

If it doesn't matter, no one will mind.

We need your story. Why, where and whens...
Old 08-23-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Ray, you taught us to boondock in Colorado in out 23. We now have a 2019 Globetrotter. No problems so far. It is lifted but no other major mods so far.
Dave & Dixie

You were wonderful company and true survivors of the 2016 Boondocking Green Horn Adventure at Taylor Reservoir, Coiorado. Of course we could not travel over Cottonwood Pass in mid June due to snow... we made the best of it. The snowball fight was entertaining. Dixie throws a curve...

For those that have not been to Taylor Reservoir... good. Left more room for all of us that did.

As proof I include evidence with Dave, Dixie and me marking the blocked road and Nancy and I holding up the sign.

What is your story? We are curious how you ended up with this Globetrotter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4656.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	350306   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4654.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	350307  

Old 08-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncans View Post
Congratulations! That's my dream trailer: perfect space and efficiency. What a nice change and your puppies will appreciate it, too!

Dave and I have been backpacking more this Summer. I keep asking myself "why I am doing this? Sweaty hot, tachycardic, tachypneic....augh! And I was thinking "Ray is still finding joy with this.." Trailer trip planned for late Sept through October now. Oregon to New Mexico to visit our kids, then to San Diego to visit more children. Any route suggestions would be appreciated.

Once again, congrats! Just lovely!

Susan

One of the expert women drivers while Boondocking!

Nancy and I discovered that Off the Grid Boondocking is not for everyone on that 2016 Wyoming Adventure. When we said 'self guided experience' and we would get everyone... there, few expected what we all experienced.

Which were sunny, warm days... snow, sleet, light hail, mud, rain and of course a good taste of the Wyoming WIND... YaHooo I say.

I pulled a couple photos but cannot recall when you had to 'bust out' and head back to Oregon. First the group south of Lander, Wyoming camped on the Lander Stage campsite and the second going up to Sawmill Creek, west of Lander, Wyoming.

May our trails and Dave & Dixies pass again on the Oregon Trail and Como Bluffs dinosaur house...

Tell everyone your story. We all have one to tell.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4682.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	350310   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4703.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	350311  

Name:	DSCN4674.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	350312  
Old 08-23-2019, 08:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
We need real life stories about our reasons for picking an Airstream. Not necessarily all true, but we can imagine what we were thinking many years ago and how we ended up running into wonderful personalities and situations that could only be read in a book of some sort.

(This by the way is not me driving... Nancy must have been as my eyes would have been closed and crying.)

...as we needed to back up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00404_41n2kunhDOO_600x450.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	350313  
Old 08-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Arizona AIR WAGON

Oh well...

A cousin was in the 'wagon' business. Many would be found in Minnesota and Wisconsin and restored.

This was one photo found from an email from him some years ago. Arizona Territory stage coach.

And... those of you who have restored an Airstream 'coach'... might want to try one of these.

Four to six... horse power, no equalizer hitch required... and no gravel guards needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00505_dOaaMbX0SZD_600x450.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	350455  
Old 08-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
The last paragraph of the Airstream Limited Warranty: FYI

"Before I purchased my Travel Trailer, I received, read and agreed to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty. I understand and agree that the selling dealership is not an agent for Airstream, but is an independent entity. I understand and acknowledge tha the chassis and components and appliances that are covered by a warranty issued by their manufacturer are excluded from coverage under the terms of this Limited Warranty. I acknowledge and agree that, BEFORE PURCHASING my travel trailer, I inspected or was given an opportunity to inspect my travel trailer, and disclosed in writing to the selling dealership all defects and damage I discovered."

This is the 2019 Airsteam Limited Warranty's last paragraph before you SIGN.

Make certain that the Airstream Serial Number matches the trailer you are buying on all paperwork. Recheck the outside sticker to make sure. I believe there is a number stamped into the frame.

This is why we are going to do our best to check EVERYTHING before purchase. If they cannot do a repair in a timely manner... we may not want to buy that trailer.

If it cannot be repaired, after purchase... Airstream may direct you to even take the trailer to Jackson Center, Ohio if the dealer cannot do the repair.

This is part of a two page warranty agreement of what is and what is not covered by Airstream and if not... whom.

Just do your due diligence before purchase. Unlike a vehicle, you cannot take it out for a test... tow.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Ha

Great post, I find it interesting and funny.

We have had four Airstreams, traveled extensively all over, many times I volunteered as a K9 Rehabilitator and once a tour guide at a National Historic Fish Hatchery for a summer. We thought we were done traveling.

Last fall, 2018 we sold our fantastic Airstream and bought a 42' 5th wheel we parked in a site we bought in FL. We stayed in the 5ver for four nights, found some issues, called the dealer and they said "no problem we will pick it up while you are gone and get it done and return it to your site". We are an hour + from them in FL. They did exactly what they said they would do and after 45 years of RVing and yes tent camping we were shocked and pleased. BUT -

Even on our way home last fall after about 9 hours into a 15 hour drive with no trailer etc we said, the 5ver is great for what we want, but now we can't travel as I had no intentions of buying a truck capable of towing it and use as a daily driver back home in PA.

So, after this winter, health holding as is, we will be in the market for another AS, used this time and use it sparingly, we think, and then back to FL for the winter staying in the 5ver.

Time will tell, but it is a bug or a disease, not for everyone, but apparently for us and for some others.

My Best

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote