Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2005, 01:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
I really couldn't sleep, trying to figure out other clues (tail lights, lack of interior gauges, etc....), ah HA... a MOTORhome. Now it makes sense. I'm still curious on how the steel is finished. Is it clear coated? I'm trying to figure out how to finish my naked steel caps.
Marc
I talked with Rich Luhr yesterday........and asked him why did you choose the color for Vintage Thunder?? His answer was.....he was all ready to paint a metallic off-white, but when he saw all the possibilities of the color book......he loved the blue metallic! His thoughts on Argosy colors......paint it whatever you want!!! He heard from other Argosy owners at rallies who had painted their Argosys silver metallic (like aluminum)........they got guff like.......so you're really not an airstream....but you wannabe.....so he chose the metallic blue.....which really turned out to be blue-green (not what he thought).....but went with the flow and accepted the color!
Marc....If you're still in doubt, Rich may be able to help you decide!

Good luck!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:50 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by merryecho
I feel so stupid- didn't realize that a trailer was considered an RV.
Well that clears things up. I never considered you were talking about a Motorhome. I'm a trailer guy, so while for you RV=Motorhome, for me Airstream/Argosy=Trailer. I usually forget that Airstream even made/makes Motorhomes - never considered purchasing one - don't know anything about them (other than that the Classic models do look cool).

It appears, however, that the Forum has come thru for you confirming that you have a normal 1979 Airstream Motorhome.

I am interested in this Charlie Burke article (which I agree is likely about trailers), where was it published? I'd like to see a copy.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:53 AM   #23
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Rog- THANK YOU! I am sorry to be so dense about rv terminology. Yes, that is the ad for my airstream motor home. Is there anywhere I can get confirmation that airstream made this model? The buyer is very skeptical, based on the Charlie Burke article.
Susan
1979 was the first year of motorhome production for Airstream. They were basically rebadged Argosy motorhomes, and were identical with the exception of being unpainted, shiny aluminum. As far as I know, that was the only year they were built in that manner, but rest assured, it IS an Airstream.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:26 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

End caps

For what it is worth,
Argosy/Airstream did a little expermenting/ proto work back in the early days of motorhome business, probably still do.
I have a '76 Argosy 24' that has a rear metal/galv. dome/end cap as all others.
But the front dome/end cap is FIBERGLASS!!
Yes, I'm talking about the outside overhead cap, and it is shaped slightly different in front .
as it has a flattened area in front where the 3 center clearance lights mount,
( like a baseball hat)
not domed/ sloped back as all others.
I also have a front grill that is tubular like the '77 mobel but different chrome trim.
It also has 4 headlights not 2, but my bumpers wrap around like '76
My coach started out as a shuttle bus for Detroit metro airport.
I am told it was a "proto" and it was to be returned to the factory for evaluation.
I cannot find any records of the "evaluation" though.
after it served as a bus, it was gutted and the side "bus" windows were removed and replaced with rivited Aluminum pannels.(bucked rivits) and motorhome windows were installed.
Regular moho entry door/steps were installed, but they are positioned to the front of the coach like the NASA "astronaut shuttle" it has no "vista windows"
at that point,it was sold to an individual who installed the interior furnishings/appliances/tanks etc.
so there are a few odd balls out there.
as far as vin numbers go mine is different as it is B24L6VXXXX.
ol' George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:06 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Argosys are great

We have had both a Tradewind and the Argosy.. love the Argosys.. hubby painted it. He does autobody repair. Turned out great.. She is a headturner.. have a look.. endcaps are steel.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:50 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by George
...as far as vin numbers go mine is different as it is B24L6VXXXX.
B = Bus?

Just a thought ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
in 79 Airstream offered the Motorhome as an Airstream painted like an Argosy also. I have actuall seen only one of these, and wondered what the deal was. The guy who had it told me it was a lower grade aluminum skin than the non painted one. There are some who think a polished Aluminum model was offered by the factory as well, but that is a claim I could not prove.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:43 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

portland
I found the Charlie Burke article I was referring to at calldon.com
You can see how it could be confusing:
The Argosy Trailers and Motorhomes...

Here is some information about the Argosy line of trailers and motorhomes. Charlie Burk said,
"Argosy began possibly around '71 thru late '70s early 80's. The Argosy motorhome started in 1975 and production stopped in 1979. They were built in a separate facility in Versailles, OH. In 1979 there were three models of motorhomes built. The Argosy, a painted Airstream (truly an Argosy with Airstream logos and different paint scheme) and the first silver bullet Airstream motorhome."
The Argosy trailers were also built at the Versailles, Ohio plant. Charlie continued,
"You could not actually strip and Argosy and find an Airstream. The Argosy motorhome (and the '79 painted Airstream) were built differently. The upper rear segment was a one piece steel segement. True Airstream motorhomes used 5 aluminum segments instead. The motorhome and trailer underwent a significant structural design change in mid 1982. It is not readily apparent except in the trailer lower segments."
merryecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:24 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
that's what i was talking about- I had seen the painted Airstream on my first trip out in mine. It was a permanently parked and somewhat rough example.
Funny though a 1978 Airstream (unpainted aluminum) appears on Fred's airstreammotorhomes web archive. Could be it was mislabeled as a 78.

Also the Argosy 28 can have the wrap around rear glass, and the upper sky light type windows in the front area (vista view), which you don't find unfortunately on the later models. The rear wrap glass is only on the 310 and larger.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:18 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Gee, I sold my 1979 Argosy and it had on it a streamer decal that said, "by Airstream." I guess my Argosy was made by Airstream, in fact, I joined an Airstream Club with my Argosy and I guess if it wasn't an Airstream I wouldn't have been able to join....??
WBCCI 14536
dbaverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:26 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

portland
I am trying to upload a picture of my '79, unpainted, shiny aluminum, steel endcap, airstream motor home- if the picture doesn't attach I will try again.
susanClick image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002F.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	16395
Old 11-16-2005, 02:26 PM   #32
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaverb
Gee, I sold my 1979 Argosy and it had on it a streamer decal that said, "by Airstream." I guess my Argosy was made by Airstream, in fact, I joined an Airstream Club with my Argosy and I guess if it wasn't an Airstream I wouldn't have been able to join....??

You don't have a real Airstream? Please tender your resignation at once!
Just kidding of course. Many proud Argosy owners like to refer to the silver bullets as "unpainted Airstreams".
They're all Airstreams and they're all good.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:53 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Many proud Argosy owners like to refer to the silver bullets as "unpainted Airstreams".
Well, there's at least one Argosy aficianado that refers to shiney Airstreams as "unpainted Argosy's" (Lou, if you're watching this thread you know I'm talking about you).
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:01 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Here is a picture of my 1979 Airstream 24' Motorhome It has aluminum segment end caps.
I say if it has steel end caps it is an Argosy and if it has Aluminum end caps it is an Airstream they were built side by side and other then paint which can be applied or removed , and the nameplate which can be changed, the end caps are the most distingushing items.
I like them both.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:22 PM   #35
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
Well, there's at least one Argosy aficianado that refers to shiney Airstreams as "unpainted Argosy's" (Lou, if you're watching this thread you know I'm talking about you).
It struck me as odd that in the Otisville, MI rally earlier this year that headmeister Lou served smoked chicken beaks and claws in the potluck dinner to purist Airstreamers like myself while Argosy owners like himself got the breasts and drumsticks.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:36 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

portland
Richard- from what I am understanding, airstream had 3 models available in '79. It is not nice to call my motorhome a fraud, with no backup whatsoever other than your opinion. As I said before, maybe you can change nameplates, but it is not easy, or legal, to change a title that says airstream, and mine is not the only one out there.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:45 PM   #37
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Quote:
Richard- from what I am understanding, airstream had 3 models available in '79. It is not nice to call my motorhome a fraud, with no backup whatsoever other than your opinion. As I said before, maybe you can change nameplates, but it is not easy, or legal, to change a title that says airstream, and mine is not the only one out there.
Susan, calm down and and take a deep breath. Nobody has mentioned fraud.
Quite to the contrary, we have legititmasized your 1979 Airstream motor home. By the way, I apologigize for using the word "he" in reference to your original "for sale" ad. Where's the beef? READ.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:46 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

portland
Aha- just got this post from Andy at inland rv- I trust he doesn't mind me sharing it- it is a little confusing to sort out the double negative, but you get the idea:

Hi Susan.

What is not true, is that the Airstream motorhomes never used a steel front or rear cap.

Andy has offered to check out my vin number as well.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:48 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

portland
Sorry Roger, I was referring to the above post by Richard, where he says "I say if it has steel end caps it is an Argosy and if it has Aluminum end caps it is an Airstream". I Have a buyer here from England who is trying to sort out whether or not this is the real deal, so it is kind of important to me.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:57 PM   #40
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
I don't understand your anger, Susan, we have furnished proof positive that your 1979 Airstream motor home is legit. I think maybe you are misinterpreting the responses but I'll leave it to RichardT to explain his comment.