Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2003, 07:08 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

More Power

Okay, my MH is in the shop being looked at for fuel starvation. They believe it's a fuel pump/filter issue. Now lets assume they get this problem fixed I still seem to be able to climb hills at around 40 MPH. I have seen some other Threads discussing increasing power but get lost. I have a 84' 310 with the 345 of course. I had the banks system put on it but have to say I couldn't tell a difference. I'm now being told by a local MH person the in order to get it to climb hills faster I need to increase the air flow coming into the engine (the banks is taking out). He mentioned putting a new higher performing Carb and Intake Manifold on it. Anyone have the answer. I saw on one site where the MH owner said they are cruising over the Grapevine at 55 in their 345. Now my coach is only a 310 (31 footer) with the same engine and it's barely holding 40. Something tells me there's more power in that engine but just don't have the right equipment working for me. It runs great on the flat lands it's just those darn hills. I'm not talking about high-elevation rockies stuff.

Anyone have the majical answer???? I'm not afraid to put some dollars towards this either.

Thanks
Ken
kzener40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Check the clearance between the air cleaner and doghouse cover if you want to put a different manifold on. The stock manifold is pretty flat, I put on a low/medium rise manifold and fuel injection and had to raise the cover 2" to clear.

I agree with the mechanic about increasing air flow, especially cool air to the intake. Mine had an oil cooler and the AC condensor stacked in front of the radiator. By the time the air gets to the carb it has to be pretty hot (this also doesn't help engine cooling when the radiator's airflow is restricted and preheated air cools it). If you can duct some cool air to the carb it will be more dense and the carb will be cooler.

My whole doghouse is very tight and there can't be a lot of airflow high up on the engine, and that is where the majority of the heat is. I sealed the openings behind the grill to try and jam more air through the doghouse. More power means more heat and you need to have a plan to get rid of it.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:47 PM   #3
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Re: More Power

Quote:
Originally posted by kzener40
....... I'm not afraid to put some dollars towards this either.

Thanks
Ken
Yes, there goes Peter again with his Jacobs Ignition.
Like I said many times before: I really like it!!

The Uphill Power Module monitors vehicle angle and signals the RV Pak to increase spark output when climbing steep hills. This allows your RV to climb hills faster.

Jacobs RV energy pak
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Your A/S should have a 454. 454's have Quadrajets on them and the Quad for a 454 flows 795 CFM. More then enough for the engine. Don't let them try to sell you a carb when your probably only needs to be rebuilt at worst. A rebuild kit is $14. I would be more inclined to belive you have a problem that doesn't involve any major carb work. At worst new filters and adjust the choke. Give it a good tune up and get some fresh gas in it and see how it does.

A Quad is a well designed carb and it gives the best of both worlds. Good top end power and economy when at cruise.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Re: More Power

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterH-79MH

Yes, there goes Peter again with his Jacobs Ignition.
Like I said many times before: I really like it!!

The Uphill Power Module monitors vehicle angle and signals the RV Pak to increase spark output when climbing steep hills. This allows your RV to climb hills faster.

Jacobs RV energy pak
You like them? I have thought about seeing if they would let me test one out on my 4x4. But now I'm intersted in one for the 454 Burb. That little stock coil looks a little weak to me.

So what did you end up paying for that. I doubt I could talk them out of two.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:24 AM   #6
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Re: Re: Re: More Power

Quote:
Originally posted by 59toaster

You like them? I have thought about seeing if they would let me test one out on my 4x4. But now I'm intersted in one for the 454 Burb. That little stock coil looks a little weak to me.

So what did you end up paying for that. I doubt I could talk them out of two.
$400.- something, which incl ceramic plug boots and lifetime plug wires. Some folks get scared because for max performance you have to gap your plugs ~.015 over stock.
And the proof is in the puddin, look at that little 2003 22' F350HD with a triton V-10 in the picture. Going up Coal Banks Pass from Durango to Silverton, you have to take a 4 mile continues grade which does not let of until you reach the summit @ 10k' and it is mean! My friend driving that unit reported to me that she kept up with me and had only little power to spare. I had 80 gals of fuel on board (crazy yes, but I needed the fuel for dry-camping) and was loaded with camping gear, food supplies and large amounts of bottled drinking water.
Did I mention that I like the Jacobs???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f350-lizzy.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	2566  
AIR #13
Old 08-07-2003, 05:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Eric

I called Jacobs and had no idea how much they were. When I found out I decided it was too steep and that the GM HEI wasn't all that bad. The sales guy ended up selling me a QC pull. They pull so many, hook them up and try them. I can't remember exactly what it cost but it was good enough to get me to change my mind.

Peter

I am guessing with 80 gallons of fuel you ran the AC. How did the generator do at that altitude?

John
Old 08-07-2003, 10:29 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

John, the gentleman who said he was climbing the Grapevine mentioned he put a Fuel Injection system on his. I assume that's what you did. Was it worth the money ($1,000+ I believe). Did it give you more power climbing the hills or just better MPG? Who did you buy it from?

Oh, and I did have the Carb rebuilt just recently. Found out the problem on the Fuel Starvation...badly pinched fuel line and some vaccum leaks. I guess my first mechanic isn't as good as I thought....

Ken
kzener40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 12:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by kzener40
John, the gentleman who said he was climbing the Grapevine mentioned he put a Fuel Injection system on his. I assume that's what you did. Was it worth the money ($1,000+ I believe). Did it give you more power climbing the hills or just better MPG? Who did you buy it from?

Oh, and I did have the Carb rebuilt just recently. Found out the problem on the Fuel Starvation...badly pinched fuel line and some vaccum leaks. I guess my first mechanic isn't as good as I thought....

Ken
http://www.customefis.com/
This guy is small time shop. SUPER smart on GM FI. He basicly collects used parts like the Throttle body and ECM Builds a custom harness and burns a new control chip to your spec. He can modify to use or not use EGR, O2 (but you really want the O2 so the ECM can manage fuel mix to deal with altitude). If you have a laptop he has some Share ware available to data log the EFI and can fine tune the chip to your engine.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:44 PM   #10
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Re: Eric

Quote:
Originally posted by 74Argosy24MH

Peter

I am guessing with 80 gallons of fuel you ran the AC. How did the generator do at that altitude?

John
John, didn't need AC at 10k', but sure did need the heater at night
But since only 3/4 of tank is available for generator usage and I needed about 10 gal to climb the mountain, I had 50 gals left for generator usage, which equals about 60 -65 hours.
The honda performed real well at 10k', except I manually held the choke open to start it. The only thing I don't like about the Honda EV's is the lack of a high altitude switch, like the newer onans have.
I actually tried to adjust the mixture, but found that the adjusting screw was locked.
AIR #13
Old 08-07-2003, 04:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
John, didn't need AC at 10k', but sure did need the heater at night
Duh, I guess you can tell how well my brain was working this AM.

Ken

I can't give you a really accurate before and after on the performance. It had 100,000 on it when I got it and from my experience that was about the life expectancy of engines from that period. I had the body off and the engine was right there so I rebuilt it and it is completely different. I am still working on the interior and have only put about 50 miles on it. The injection is a homebrew, basically the same as the site Eric posted but uses a Holley TBI and the distributor is controlled by the computer. There are quite a few people doing this now, just make sure the system uses an O2 sensor and speed sensor.

John