Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2002, 07:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Wiring help needed

well, I really did it this time. While replacing one of the indicator lights for the lighting panel switches on the dash of my 79 28' Excella MH, I accidentally knocked a few of the other wires off the other lights and switches. Specifically, these switches control the driver's map lights, floor courtesy lights, trunk storage lights, and auxillary.
I now have 12 wires and can't figure out which switches and indicator lights to re-connect them to...I have three brown, three yellow, two green, two blue, one black w/ white stripe, and one black. I believe that somehow these must be wired to switch the negative side that feeds the indicator light and the accessory that it is supposed to feed.
Now for the real fun part...I'm trying to repair this by Friday night 9/6...we're scheduled to leave for Mt. Rushmore and then Yellowstone for one and a half weeks with the kids.

If anyone could look up under their dash light panel and tell me what goes where...I would be eternally greatful...and NOT LEFT IN THE DARK!

I also have a complete owners service manual for a 1972 21', 23T & D, 25 T & D Land Yacht and 27' T & D, 29' T & D, 31' T & D International model airstream trailer. If interested in the manual please reply.

ANY HELP IS GOOD HELP!!!
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 07:57 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
set yourself up with a fused hot lead, then touch each of the circuits with it. when they light up you should know what they go to.

if you hit a ground by mistake the fuse will blow and you know you have a ground.

otherwise, each time a circuit lights up you can put it back on the switch it belongs to.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 08:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I already did a check with a DC volt meter...the three brown are (+), it appears all the rest are (-).

I also removed the map light from the ceiling, the wires to it are blue and yellow, the courtesy floor lights are green and yellow. I tested the switched with a continuity test, they are functional. All indicator lights funtion when (+) & (-) are applied.

I've tried hooking up the wires in many different configurations with no luck. Kind of hard to work upside down and under the dash with the driver's seat in the way. I have since removed the switches to make it easier to work on. If I figure this out (with your all help) I will mark each wire so that in the future I won't make this mistake again.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Talking

Got them all figured out. "if it was a snake...it would have bit me!"
Of course all the wires would have read a negative...with the light bulbs completing the circuit, DUH!

Thanks for the info to make me step back and let logic fix the problem though.

Oh yeah, the trip to Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and back all went great...she ran like a dream (fingers crossed of course)! Saw only seven AS trailers and 2 MH the whole trip though...must have been the off season for sighting AS.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:51 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
glad to hear your problem resolved, and it sounds like you had a great trip.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 10:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
sightings

Now I know where all the A/S are...lol
Just finished 7k trip this summer and, with the exception of the A/S factory..only saw three on the entire trip...Made me feel 'special'...lmao
ciao
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 03:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Hopeful Sightings...

Hi All...
....if any of U guys R down Orlando way b'tween nov 14 thru dec 06 , in Yr Airstreams or Motorhomes, an U C some " dimebar" flashing his lights an tooting his horn, an hangin out the window...PLEASE don't worry...as it will only b me....so give us all a wave...we will b in a 8 seater van... lol...Chris.....