Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Athens , Michigan
Trailer towing capacity

I purchased a 2003 Land yacht 30 last fall and I'm looking for a vehicle to tow along. On the Airstream web site the gross towing weight is 3,000 lbs. However, I noticed the gross towing weight for the 2004 model is rated as 4,000 lbs. I contacted Airstream but they couldn't explain it. Can anyone tell me why the trailer towing capacity changed? Were there changes to the chassis or did they just mount a higher capacity hitch? A thousand pounds makes a big difference in the range of potential vehicles to choose from.

Thanks,
Charlie Snyder
Cudmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #2

2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Fairfield , Pennsylvania
It's my understanding that the AS 30' Workhorse chassis was extended/lengthened by a few feet and may need more bracing to exceed 3,000lbs towing. I have an '04 30' LY and it looks safe to me and some others to tow a poss. 4-5K trailer with brakes, BUT... I'll probably exceed the 3K but plan to keep the tongue wt down to nmt 300lbs by positioning the load in the trailer. If you're not sure about safety, then it's probably best to not ....
Rick Hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Whatever you decide to use for a towed vehicle, get a Brake Buddy or similar aux braking system.

I flat tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee and never have any issues. Of course my Airstream is a diesel with a jake brake but the extra braking is well worth it.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #4

2018 23' International
Escondido , California
Towing 23FB with Nissan Pathfindet

Just pickup my 23FB and am towing with 2017 Nissan Pathfinder. TV has tow package with rated 6000 lbs tow capacity.

My first Airstream and must say was pleasently surprised with handling and driving performance of the TV through local pass. Taking trip up into the local mountains next weekend with some added weight in the trailer. Looking forward to see how the TV performs.
LeeIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:30 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post
Whatever you decide to use for a towed vehicle, get a Brake Buddy or similar aux braking system.

I flat tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee and never have any issues. Of course my Airstream is a diesel with a jake brake but the extra braking is well worth it.
The legal requirement for toad auxiliary braking is determined by your state's laws for trailer brakes. In most states that's 3000 pounds gross weight, though some states have a lower weight theshold.

However, even if you find a toad that's too light to require supplemental brakes, you can-- and should-- add them anyway.

When pulling a toad four down, tongue weight is next to nothing, and the load on the hitch receiver and towbar is almost entirely a horizontal pull.