Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Surprise , Arizona
Changing out roof ac on land yacht

Has anyone changed out the Penguin 13500 for a 15000 BTU unit. My 2004 land yacht 30 SO is a problem in high outside temps since I can not keep it cool enough at SW USA temps (100 deg+). So if any has experience doing that let me know the results. Also, does anyone know if I can wire in the AC unit in the back to work off of 115V 15mp circuit and if you have a schematic for the change. In some RV campgrounds they frown on running the generator and having the 30amp connection to run the front AC. I want to be able to run both AC units. Again at 100deg + I am melting away.
C21Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
The 1500 BTUH difference for the new unit isn't worth the thousand dollars or so you'd need to invest. Let me suggest that you research portable airconditioners or add shades outside the windows.

Or just tow it up to Flagstaff.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I replace the Dometic Penguin 13,500 BTU unit on my 92 Land Yacht Motorhome with a Dometic Brisk Air II 15,000 BTU. Straight drop in replacement. Cooling is MUCH better. No additional electrical needs. The inside ceiling unit needed to be replaced as well since I had a non ducted AC originally. The cost difference between the 13,500 unit and the 15,000 unit was minimal. Shop around for best price. They car vary quite a bit.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
Dual a/c

Originally Posted by 92landyacht
In theory, adding additional circuits seems like it would be an easy job. Just add circuits to the existing box, beef up the transfer switches…
Seems to me like the hardest part is to fish the new wires. From what I can tell, they didn't provide any conduits to fish wires through. Just bundles of wires tie wrapped to frame members. Any additional circuits would require disassembly of the ceiling panles or runs under the floor of the unit. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyone know where the transfer switches are on a 92 36' LY?

Unfortunately, you don't just 'add a few circuits' and 'beef up the transfer switch'. To do it right (which is the ONLY WAY), you need to replace the 30 amp transfer switch with a 50 amp version, replace your 30 amp 10/3AWG shore cord with a 50 amp 6/4 AWG unit, replace your 30 amp single line circuit breaker box with a 50 amp dual line breaker box and then add the extra circuits (like your #2 roof A/C) and split and balance the circuits so the load is even across both incoming legs in the breaker box.

Sounds simple, doesn't it?

Then you need to be sure that your generator has the capability to be re-wired for dual 120VAC circuits and run the 6/4 AWG wire from the genny to the new transfer switch.

Still with me?

If you're not completely familiar with 120VAC and 240VAC wiring, this is NOT a DIY job.

So the short answer is it can be done with the right knowledge. Or you can take a chance on being a pile of ashes....
Old 07-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
CHG over is pretty easy. You can run a second power cord for the rear unit to run off the 20 amp plug on the service box..helped put one in for rear air before. Only issue is the wire has to run inside ran it in to the side bath and up the wall in a covered channel than short run across the ceiling to the unit. I ran a second power cord for my trailers to be able to run xtra Elec heat. Also call colaw Rv in Joplin mo. They huybac units by the truck load. They are usually several hundred dollars cheaper than others.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:06 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Installed AC2 in rear bedroom. Ran condensate line and power supply wire across interior ceiling in a black fabric weave.. Slick.

Also, upgraded to 50 AMP service... Spread the loads across both lines... No mo problems..

Oh.. Momma likes our bedroom freezer. Even the dog crawls under his blanket!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote