Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2002, 08:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
what to expect?

I have been casually looking for a 60's model A/S under 26', I have seen a few and am definitely thinking twice before embarking on another resto project, I know they are old but they all seem to need a lot of work. I have learned a bit on my current Argosy Minuet, some of the lessons were costly so I am definitely being more careful on my next choice. What should I expect for the six to ten grand prices I have seen? No awnings, bad axles, leaks, no curtains, huge dents, inoperative/outdated appliances and equipment, a general state of neglect?
I guess I am paying for living in such a "trendy" town, the prices seem to be higher here than in the cornbelt, where I have seen some good deals. I have already done a major job on my 78 Minuet so I am not a total stranger to the process.

I guess there is no such thing as a "bluebook" for vintage A/S's?

Chas
Old 12-19-2002, 05:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Probably the closest would be RV Trader or ebay to get a cross section of prices, conditions and locations.

This is a link to a thread where an Airstream park in Florida is being forced to close. Apparently many of these have sat for years, you would not have the damage from them being moved down the roads. The vintage Airstreams are old enough that prior owners had more to do with the current condition than anything else.

Your are at a distinct advantage over a newbie as to what to look for. The construction of an Argosy and Airstream are very similar. Use your experience with what you have found in your Argosy when inspecting an Airstream. I would think for the upper end of your price range you would be able to find one in pretty good condition if you have a little patience. Nothing is going to be perfect, but as you found out it is sometimes better to pay for the condition on these than buy cheap and pay to fix.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 01:24 PM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Road Ready

C,

I bought a 1966 Overlander (26') for $1800 it needed A/C, some plumbing (waste tank and such), floor work in the bath brakes/shocks and general cleaning and polishing. To date I have spent about $1200 and may have another $500 to $1000 to go and the unit should be 100%. Even with the floor issue, (a hole making the bath not usable) I still used it on a trip to Mexico.

If you spent 6 to 10K I would expect road ready polished to a mirror shine and no work to be done except load it up.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-19-2002, 08:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
more ?'s

I have looked at two recently, a 66 tradewind for $5900 and a 68 Overlander for $7850. They both were owned by some ranchers who I suspect were using them for a ranch hangouts or hunting cabins, needless to say they weren't in the greatest shape.
I can say that at least one of the fellas actually had a cyclo polisher and was about halfways done.

I will be looking at a 74 (24'?) Tradewind Landyacht tomorrow, ( I know it's the wrong decade) but at least his price seems to be more in line with what I am thinking, $4000. Supposedly has Zip Dees and factory mags on it.

I am wondering though if it will polish up as good as the 60's models, didn't they change the aluminum composition??

Chas
Old 12-20-2002, 07:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
what to expect?

RE: Polishing 1970s Airstreams - - Brilliance of Shine

Greetings Chas!

From what I have observed, the 1970s units will polish as well as the 1960s models. You can follow the link below to the site where my photos of the 1999 International Rally and Wagon Wheels Caravn to Dayton, Ohio. There were three 1970s trailers with beautiful polish jobs - - one was absolutely mirror bright.

1999 Wagon Wheel Caravan/WBCCI International Rally, Daton, Ohio

When I dropped my Overlander off at my Airstream dealer for its annual pre-winter service and winterizing, they had an absolutely gorgeous 1973 25-foot (I believe that it was being offered at $7,800). The unit appears to be road and camp ready. They have it pictured on their web site at:

1973 Airstream 25-foot

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 09:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Got it!

Overlander,

Dang, that 70 Safari is shiny, maybe too shiny!! I bought the 74 A/S that I just saw this morning, shook hands and now need to get the cash and go pick it up. It says Overlander by the door, it could be a 27 footer, owner says it's a 24' ??. The models and lengths on the A/S's still mystifies me occasionally. I will get some pics on soon, definitely before and after on this one.

Chas
Old 12-20-2002, 10:45 AM   #7
hex

Chas according to the 1974 A/S-T/T Service Manual there is no 24' for the year 1974. there were 21,23,25,27,29,& 31 footers shown.
Apparently in spite of the calendar it was an odd year!

According to the manual Overlander was 27'.Which would give you a 24' can. Prob'ly where Previe got the length.
Congrats and enjoy it.
When I finally drag mine home I plan to break a longneck of Shiner Bock over the tongue. That'll prob'ly be the extent of any "Shinin'" I do to the unit.
Any such Baptisin' plans on your agenda?

Also let me know if you need a service manual.We can work something out I suspect.
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 11:35 AM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Ask the man who owns one

The length of an Aistream is meeasured from rear bumper to front of the hitch. Rare is the Airstream that comes in at exactly to the even foot. Overlanders prior to 1969 were 26'. 1969 and later were 27'.

For 1974, an owners manual and a service manual were available. Owners manual will describe how to operate the unit. The service manual will describe how to repair the unit.

Hex I would really like to see a pic of your unit when you get it. Is that in the near future?

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-20-2002, 01:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
It's a 27'!!

And it's mine,

I took it to my office and will leave it until after the holidays, I don't want to push my luck with the neighbors at home. My boss shouldn't say much either, no bonus, raise etc,. The guy who I bought it from broke the entry latch right in front of me before I was even inside when I first got to see it this morning, I was able to get in though,( my whole body) can anybody guess how??
( No, I didn't drill, cut or break anything).

Pulled smooth as glass, the tires are old but with deceptively good tread, will be lookin at new ones soon. The skylights have holes in them, seem to be aluminun with plastic in the middle, the duct tape job needs a redo. Her's a pic.

Chas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0032.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1072  
Old 12-20-2002, 01:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
other side

Other side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0024.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1073  
Old 12-20-2002, 03:11 PM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Sweet!

C,

Nice unit! Al wheels, A/C for the nice SW weather, and a Zip Dee awning. You got yourself a winner! Merry Christmas.

The front door lock is expensive, so be careful. Neighbors could be a PITA, so enroll them into your celebration. "Hey neighbor, you'll never guess what I got? A piece of history. ..... Yeah, I'll be bringing her home tommorrow. Come on over and I'll show her to you." - Keep the rain out of inside. It has a tendency to rot the wood in the floor. A somewhat common issue.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-20-2002, 03:19 PM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Chas, that's great!

Do you think you might be able to bring it out to our Vintage Weekend at Lake Travis late in January so everyone could see it. Our WBCCI unit is sponsoring it, but everyone is welcome, especially someone with a nice vintage unit like that.

You can even hear me (and some others) play some banjo.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 01:18 AM   #13

Thumbs up

Congrats, Chas

Can we get a peek inside?
Are you slim enough to get in thru the battery door? if not how did you get in?
I am searching for a louvered door like the one on your minuet to vent the refrigerator. Is it custom made?

Ron

PS: you now know it's not the wrong decade, au contraire
NewStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 05:06 AM   #14
hex

Thumbs up Equity..... a great accessory...and for free!

Very sharp looking from what we can see.
At 4Grand I'd say you made out like a bandit.

Depending on which systems are ok, I'd figure it would easily bring 6500 bux pronto. Likely more in certain locales. Instant equity is so nice to have up front.
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 03:27 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

OK- tell me you didn't fit thru the window to the right of the door. I was looking through your posts ( you can access this one through your profile) and I saw one that mentioned Vistas. In the picture it looked like maybe that window was missing? Don't even know if the lower one's are Vistas.
Gorgeous trailer! I'll be in touch, I'm sure. I'm off to read your posts on the furnace!! Debi AKA MsLed
MsLed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 08:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
msled,

No, I didn't break anything to get in. I'll give you a hint, look closely at what the fella in the cowboy hat is up to. The lower windows are single panes, thank goodness. I have already redone my vistas, I sort of followed some instructions posted on the web by a guy named Hightower. Some experts will advise against taking them apart and resealing but it can be done.

How about a picture of yours? Do you have the L- shaped lounge? I would rather have that or a dinette like my Minuet has.

Chas
Old 01-15-2003, 04:33 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Chas- I think I have the L-shaped. Don't have a camara yet. There's a foldout table across from the doorway and the foldout couch(?) is along the very front of the trailer. Haven't seen enough floorplans to know the difference yet.
My vistas were redone already- kinda' looks like a few tubes of silicone per window, but better them than me. I've gotten an attitude while caulking before and it ain't a pretty site. How could something that looks so easy end up so very funnylooking?
Off road pkg- 4:10s
MsLed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Chas,

Are you saying that that's a window the guy in the hat is working on?

I don't think I've seen a window that low or am I misunderstanding something?

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
No hex , (I mean John)

The cowboy, the fella I bought it from, is latching the door where I was able to slip in because the entry latch broke. I was seeing if anyone could guess how I was able to get in, one forum member was able to figure it out, can't remember who it was.

Now, I just told half the world how to break into my Overlander

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Thanks Chas for clearing that up!!

Interesting way of getting in!!

You must be skinny too!

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote