Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Punta Gorda , Florida
Batteries not holding charge

My batteries in the 2014 FC won't take a charge from my 110 at home. I charged them up directly with a portable charger and they read fully charged. I disconnected the charger and the charge started going down.

I have not had a load test done yet. But I am thinking dead batteries. Of course my 1 year warranty is up on the Interstates.

Also the FC was delivered and we picked it up within a few days. I have also kept the batteries charged.

Are there any other brand name batteries I should purchase? Should I switch to golf cart batteries?

I will be doing more and more boon docking in the future. Thank you for help.
Jrglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I like the interstate batteries,have had good luck with them, keep them charged up, you might think about removing your batteries and put a load test on them, and check the water level....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Your batteries may very well be dead, but the problem is not with your batteries but rather the single stage charger that Airstream installs in their trailers. If you leave your trailer plugged in all the time when home and don't put the batteries into "store mode" your single stage charger basically kills the batteries by continuously overcharging them.

If you plan to use your batteries (i.e., don't just go from full hookup campsite to the next one) I would replace the single stage charger with a three stage (aka smart) charger. Use the search function on the forum and look for smart charger or three stage charger and you will learn more than you care to know. Once you have your new charger, it makes sense to get new batteries. I would recommend AGMs as they are sealed and you don't need to worry about the water level.

This is an example of a three stage charger:

http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-804-12...antrex+charger
Old 04-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The batteries will indicate higher voltages when they are being charged than the resting voltage after taken off the charger. After the charger was taken off what did you observe? Did the voltage stabilize around 12.7v+?

Buy a hydrometer and check the specific gravity of the cells after the batteries are fully charged.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:19 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Punta Gorda , Florida
I am going to pull the batteries Friday and have them load tested. I will be, at some point soon. getting a three stage charger plus dry batteries.

I don't keep the batteries hot all the time. I will put the AS in store mode for a week or so. Then start the charging process. Thanks for all the good advice.
Jrglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
I switched to two 6 volt and a three stage charger now no problems.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #7
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Are you using deep cycle Marine/RV batteries?
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
If you have traveled any with this trailer.They may have boiled dry with the stock converter.Check the fluid levels.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:43 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Not all Airstreams are delivered with a single stage charger. Some, particularly with the solar option, now come with Parallax Power Supply Model: 4455TC(S). It is a three stage smart converter/charger with temperature compensation. I am using one in my Classic with 4 AGM batteries. The set up works great. However, there is no need to keep charging the batteries in storage or when sitting idle. If they are isolated from the DC system, there is no parasitic drain. Be sure they are actually fully isolated. That way they can be left without charging for many months even in cold weather, unlike flooded batteries.
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Be sure they are actually fully isolated. That way they can be left without charging for many months even in cold weather, unlike flooded batteries.
Flooded batteries can be left for many months in cold temps too. See my 5 month test at 0 to 5 F for details.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ml#post1602338
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Just a thought but if you are planning to add solar panels in your future, then keep the existing charger and put the money towards your solar system. There are many fine solar chargers with three stage battery chargers. You won't overcharge the batteries because you'll keep the batteries isolated from the 120 V charger by keeping your rig in the "Store" position. The solar charger connects directly to the batteries and will keep it topped up correctly.

If cost is a concern, stick with the flooded batteries too. Yes the AGMs have no maintenance but they are pricey. With the right charger and some care your flooded batteries should do just fine.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote