Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Garbled MS Word copying

@font-face { font-family: "American Typewriter"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 16pt; font-family: "American Typewriter"; }p.MsoEnvelopeAddress, li.MsoEnvelopeAddress, div.MsoEnvelopeAddress { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 2in; font-size: 14pt; font-family: "American Typewriter"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Thanks Nick for this good idea.

I had my pair made by a well known mother and daughter canvas making team near my small Ontario town.

Attachment 112773

Attachment 112772

I asked Vince to help me install the stainless thumb-turns. Riveting took about a half a day; the second window going much faster than the first

The window protectors fit perfectly and look cool. It takes less than a minute to take one off or put it back on.

The canvas work cost $375.00, including pattern making.

Out of interest, I got these quotes for rock guards in 2008:

Oasis RV: $685.35- plus $225 drop shipping from JC

Andy: $650 plus shipping from JC

Out of Doors Mart, NC: $620.64; guessed the shipping was $300. Three BIG boxes.

Owasso: $645.64 plus install

Ottawa RV: 672.00 plus drop shipping from JC ($168.00) - $950

Can AM: $1488.88 plus $250.00 installation. !!!!!!!!!

Sergei
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hornsby.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	112784   Click image for larger version

Name:	window covers.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	112785  

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Sergei, your Word program has a proprietary format and doing a copy/paste into our text field may carry over otherwise invisible formatting info. Try pasting into a minimal-format processor like Notepad first (not Wordpad) and then paste text over from Notepad. That should cut out all the scrabble.

In a separate step you'll need to paste in images from within our forum software (which I see you are doing expertly).

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Bob, thanks. But why has this just statrted to happen, after I've been cutting and pasting to the Forum from the same Word program, using my MacBook, for 5 years now???

I also don't know what Notepad is. Is there something similar in Apple?

Sergei
Old 10-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Notepad is a minimally formatted, simple word processor on a Windoze PC. We'll have to ask Mac users for suggestions on where to turn next.

Maybe emailing the text to yourself would remove the scrabble? Maybe you don't have to change much if you'll just use our 12-15 minute edit window after posting to remove the scrabble. Both solutions I have are a PITA. Sorry...

I have no explanation about what has changed. Steve Jobs is welcome to send me an explanation ... saved in the same word processor on a new MacBook Pro.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
The puzzle deepens. As soon as Inland Andy replied to the Window Protectors thread, my scrabbles disappeared.

What's going on?

Could this problem be with the Forum interface, not with MS Word or Apple?

I'm doing nothing different than I've done before and am not using anything new so why has this just started happening to my last few posts?

Sergei
Old 10-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Sergei,

Try setting your "base" (perhaps it's called 'default') font in Word to something simple, like say, Arial. The base font is what your Macbook puts all your Word docs into as you create them.

It may just be that you made a change on your profile settings on your Macbook, or perhaps Apple made a change to something in the Word formatting, which you caught when they did a general update.

Another thing to look for on your Mac in the set-up is something that would give you page settings with "no" formatting, perhaps called "plain text" mode.

I think that the software that airforums runs on looks for plain ASCII text, since if you composed your posts directly in it while you are on-line, that's what it would show on the screen, while applying its own formatting.

Bob, whoever is the forum's software guru will have the answer to Sergei's problem. Perhaps you can check with him (or her)?
Old 10-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
trying Arial as Aage suggests………..; let’s see what happens….
Old 10-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
works now

Above did not work at first; then I used the "edit" feature, highlighted the scrabble and deleted it - and it did.

(Edit didn't work for me before. Maybe I didn't use it correctly?)
Old 10-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well, there was no garbling that time...

[Edit] oops, guess I missed the editing
Old 10-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
To be sure you are avoiding any embedded codes when pasting from MS Word to the forums, or any web site, type your text in Word and then file --> save as --> format: plain text. Then copy and paste away.

YMMV depending on version of Word / OS Platform, etc.
EvelynDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
The puzzle deepens. As soon as Inland Andy replied to the Window Protectors thread, my scrabbles disappeared.

What's going on?

Sergei
Oh ooh.

What did I do?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Sergei

I have noticed this same behavior when copying from MS Word myself using my old G4 and Office 2004.

@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } This sentence is copied from Office (Word) 2008 on my Mini (OS 10.6.4). The font is now appears as a serif font in the compose window till posting or previewing, then it changes to the standard forum font and all the formatting info show up as more text. Office 2008 (12.2.6) defaults to Cambria.

(I made the actual text above blue in the forum compose window to make it more obvious. The blue didn't come from Word.)

I have given up on composing in Word and pasting it in like I did in the past. This showed up in one of the forum software upgrades. Not much of an improvement in my opinion. At least there is a spell checker now in Firefox.

By the way, I'm always referring to your Argy as an example of what can be done with a vintage unit. Absolutely first rate work. When you do your southern US trip, I think you should swing on over from Mississippi into Arkansas and visit here too.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Hi Vaughan, thanks for your insight. Maybe I'll try the spell checker in Firefox. ( That's the reason I cut and paste.)

(( I just did and I can't see how to do it))

Little Rock interests me a lot. Thanks for the invite. I'll be in touch.

Any other Southners out there with ideas?
Old 10-10-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I use Appleworks 6 since it came free with my by now ancient Powerbook and when I compose a post that way (not very often), I just copy it and then paste in it. No extra stuff.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Hi Vaughan, thanks for your insight. Maybe I'll try the spell checker in Firefox. ( That's the reason I cut and paste.)

Here's a link to how to enable the spell checker in Firefox.

Another Firefox feature, an Add-on actually, I use is Adblock Plus. Makes reading the forum much nicer.

Lots of neat stuff in Little Rock and the surrounding area. Little Rock is on the border between the mountains to the west & northwest and the Mississippi Delta to the east & southeast. Lots of state, national, and Corps of Engineers parks as well as other camping in the area too.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:

That's why you're using Word? Jeez, after many many years of using Internet Explorer, I decided to give Google Chrome a try. It has a spell-checker in everything you use it for, and it works very well.

The real reason I changed though was because someone told me (or I read somewhere) that Chrome is faster than IE, and man, do I find that to be true.

The "Paste Special" function doesn't work in any Internet browsers that I've used, by the way. It does however, work pasting something into Word.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
That's why you're using Word? Jeez, after many many years of using Internet Explorer, I decided to give Google Chrome a try. It has a spell-checker in everything you use it for, and it works very well.

The real reason I changed though was because someone told me (or I read somewhere) that Chrome is faster than IE, and man, do I find that to be true.

The "Paste Special" function doesn't work in any Internet browsers that I've used, by the way. It does however, work pasting something into Word.
They all pretty much have spell checking now. A couple of years ago that wasn't the case. They first showed up in add on toolbars like the Google toolbar.

I have to agree, Chrome is better than IE, but what isn't? Actually, most of the browsers are pretty good now. I also use Opera at times.

The problem I've noticed with IE on Win XP, work computer, is that the computer slowed down after upgrading to IE7. The whole computer, not just browsing. Windows Explorer, the system you use to browse files on your computer is the same thing as Internet Explorer. That's why Microsoft couldn't not (double negative intended ) include IE with Windows even if they wanted to (as some suits have tried to force them to do in the past).

On the Mac side, Internet Explorer doesn't even exist anymore. The last version was IE 5.5. I looked for the Microsoft page that told users to just go download Safari or Firefox (prior to the development of Chrome) but the best I could find was here at Wikipedia. I did find a discussion of IE 5.2 at Microsoft's site here. If you check the System Requirements, you will see that you need 128 Mb RAM and at least a 9600bps modem, (28.8 Kbps or more recommended). Obviously Microsoft quit the browser business for Macs a long time ago.

I certainly agree with you that the Paste Special function is great. I add a button for Paste Special to the toolbars in Word and Excel on every computer I use. Even greater than sliced bread.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Aage, curious after reading your post I tried out Chrome. The resulting Forum page was about half as big as I'm used to on Firefox - everything squeezed down by the ADVERTISING.

I quickly went back to Firefox with AD BLOCKER, something I've been enjoying for a couple of years now I think.

Sergei
Old 10-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
While there are ads with Chrome (and IE, for that matter) I don't mind them. I actually respond to them, especially here, since the are almost always related to TTs and/or camping.

For example, I saw today that the new Woodall's is out, and if I order now, there's a healthy discount!

Good thing not everyone has Firefox, no ads, no airforum.com!

Anyway Sergei, chaqu'un son gout, right? Ooo, spellchecker doesn't like that one!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Vaughan,

About 5 years ago I was traveling Memphis to Texarkana (there’s a town that’s really beaten up) when I stopped for gas just outside of Little Rock.

I’ll always remember it because the short, round, sweet girl at the cash had never before seen a MINI. She left her post at the register and ran outside cooing “ Oh ‘mah Lawd, that IS the cutest ‘lil thang ‘ahv ever seen. Can you take me with y’all?’’.

I will come back for a real visit this time.

Sergei