Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
San Juan Capistrano , California
Stainless Steel Cleaning help

Hello, we're about to re-install our stainless steel range. It has so many stains, or oxidized areas on the top. we've tried ss cleaner, soap & water, 409, just about everything and nothing gets this out. Any suggestions? Do I need to break out the polisher?
Thanks,
Ron
surferstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Have you tried Mother's? It made a big difference on the stainless steel sink in our Safari - evened out the surface and made it shine. I've had people ask if it's a new sink.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sink/Stove Woes

I'll have to try the Mothers. Thanks for the suggestion. My water has a lot of minerals in it and both my sinks are chronically spotted, plus the one in the bath always has a tiny puddle in the bottom which has left a permanent mark. I took a nail file (remember the woman's tool kit!) and filed a tiny notch on the inside edge of the drain, which lets the little puddle drain.

My most successful cleaning trick was plain old scouring powder - Comet with bleach. Just remember to scrub with the grain... IE: follow the direction of the satin finish on the surface.

On stainless steel silverware, baking soda rubbed on it will really shine it up, so I suppose that would work well on a sink or stovetop too. I just get it damp, and rub in using an old T-shirt for a rag. (You'll be grossed out when you see what comes off of the spoons you've been putting in your mouth!)

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Lemon Juice works great for cleaning my AlClad cookware. We use a little softscrub and lemon together. Just cut a fresh lemon (or lime) in half and use it like a scrubber brings the shine right back.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Julian , North Carolina
I like a product labeled "Bar Keeper's Friend" but my wife uses a godawful concoction she makes from lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and 20 Mule Team Borax. I have no idea where she came up with that but it seems to work on a lot of hard to clean items.
Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:27 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I have something I use called Cameo Aluminum and Stainless Steel Cleaner. It comes in a container that looks like a white Comet cleanser container.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
If you want a more environmentally friendly solution, try plain old flour and a damp spounge. Supposedly it will clean stainless steel sinks. Again, follow the grain!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:03 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
San Juan Capistrano , California
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll try them all, I'm sure something will bring the love back to the range/stove!
Ron
surferstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:11 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Oakland , California
This Stuff Works

Hi Ron,

The stainless steel cover on our stove was scratched and pitted. I tried a number of products with limited success. Then I tried this stuff:

Eastwood Premium Pre-polish Prep

It takes a little elbow grease, but it does a great job! Maybe it'll work for you, too.

Good Luck,

-Mark
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:23 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
plano , Texas
Thumbs up

I have 2 words... NAVAL JELLY. It was amazing after I tried most of the stuff mentioned above. You can pick it up at Lowes or Home Depot in the same area as paint thinner (not in the cleaning section).

-thomas
tschat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:44 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Rivet stainless steel cleaner

i have to tell you that the 3m brand stainless steel cleaner has to be the best product you can find to clean stainless steel with. after trying all the others . so many so called stainless steel cleaners simply do not work. it is sold at expo the fancy cousin of home depot that handles the high end appliances. a good size aerosol can is under ten dollars and will outclean all the others. however do not try to use it on the skin of an airstream trailer,it does not work at all there.
wayne wunder ,w.b.c.c.i./v.a.c.#4287 1962 19ft globetrotter
wunderful62 is offline   Reply With Quote