Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Fishing wiring in walls/ceiling in assembled AS

I am starting a new thread with the hopes the title might capture some of the resto crowd. Problem begins here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...archid=2351098

I need to figure out a way to run a new furnace thermostat control wire from the A/C unit, overhead, down to the furnace. Dis-assembly of the entire galley, padded ceiling, overhead locker and inner skin is not a realistic option.

It is a 30' Classic (2007).

The broken wire is taped in a bundle and runs from the A/C, straight to curbside floor and comes back to the interior behind and below the microwave. I did remove the micropulse, hoping for a single harness, but see none of my target harness. It appears that the following items are "lined up with" the assumed routing of the target harness: scare light, outside ac outlet, inside galley outlet, micropulse.

Any and all tips/experience is appreciated.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Rich,

Your link does not work, but if the original wire is still in place, and I believe it's one of those telephone cable type wires, you might be able to use it as a pull string to pull a new wire in. But if you do this, don't try to do it with connectors in place, only wire. You can very easily install the connectors after the new wire is pulled in. Connectors and the installation tool are available at Radio Shack.

This assumes the original wire is in place. If not, you are going to have to figure out a way to get a fish tape in place to pull the new wire in with. From what I've seen of the interior of an Airstream with wiring and insulation in place when we took the factory tour, I believe it's an "iffy" situation at best.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Steve, the telephone wire runs from the thermostat to the A/C unit. It is fine. The wires that exit the A/C unit and run inside the ceiling/wall are 16ga stranded...but they are taped in a bundle with 5 or 6 other wires. I am afraid pulling the existing wire is futile, but I may try if no other magic words come along. With horizontal ribs, I am sure I can't fish tape it.

I may have to run a wire along the floor to the closet. I think, IIRC, that there is a cross frame wiring and plumbing tray below the floor which goes under the dinette. From there to the fridge compartment where I can tap into the telephone wire directly....but I am not sure how that will affect the auto switchover from heat pump to furnace. The only other ideal I have is to cut a hole in the closet ceiling and fish from the A/C, down the closet, to the floor and to the furnace. But I think I have a ceiling rib to deal with.

Any other ideas? I do have a call into Dan at AS. He was one of their best techs and now works in tech assist. But he's out training dealer techs today.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I have a 64, with no thermostat. I drilled through the first rib in the ceiling, then made a little hole just inside the ceiling in an upper cabinet. Then I could run it across and down to the closet that had the thermostat.

Could you run it to the floor, through the belly pan, and back up?

Any moulding you can hide it behind?
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Sorry, don't know why the link changed?? Will provide update in this link in the morning......Success!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...lp-111853.html

Old 10-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
How about a wireless thermostat? Do they make such a thing?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Check the link in my last post ....fixed.

Mods, can you combine? I kind screwed this posting up on this issue.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Just thinking here, Rich, has the furnace ever worked, or has it recently quit working?

The reason I ask is if your trailer heater/air conditioning system is like mine, there is a dip switch that must be in the proper position on the main air conditioner board for the furnace to work.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It worked fine on all features, including auto heat pump switchover until night before last. And now it works again on all features. Check link in post #5.