Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2019, 03:42 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
Questions on ordering new AS

Great news: my wife and I visited Southland RV/AS dealer and decided to order a new 27'. My question is, after we add additional solar panels, and stow a bunch of our stuff into it, do we then purchase one of those hitch ball weight gizzmos that measures tongue weight? Do we gingerly pull the thing home from the dealer using back roads without it or rent one that is close until we get the final weight determined?
Jesse, our salesman, recommended an Equalizer WDH. Does AS have some kind of connection with Equalizer to do this? By the way, if you want a great salesman that is not pushy and very patient with your questions, Jesse is the guy!
I saw on the 27' Globetrotter some wheels that match the ones on our Excursion. Would AS swap those out at the factory?
Would AS do a discount/delete on their mattress?

Thanks.

Spaggs
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Congratulations on your new Airstream! A 27’ Airstream will have an actual tongue weight close to 1000 lbs. I have a Sherline scale and our 2019 27’ Globetrotter came in around 1100 lbs with a full tank of fresh water and full propane.

What do you plan to tow with? You’ll want to watch your payload capacity of your tow vehicle - check the door sticker. Payload includes what ever is inside your tow vehicle plus the weight of the trailer on the ball. Weight distribution hitch does not factor into payload calculations. We started with a 2019 Ram 1500 but found the payload was only 1220 lbs. Pulled it just fine but was too close to the rear axle max so we upgraded to a 2500 with 2940 lbs. payload. Problem solved!

There are lots of good WD hitches out there; you’ll get lots of opinions on what’s best. Short answer is they’ll all do the job if set up properly. We’ve got a Blue Ox Sway Pro with 1500# bars. Once you get your hitch, head to the CAT scales and do a three pass method. One with WD enabled, one disabled and last, truck alone. This will tell you how much weight is getting transferred to the front axle and trailer.

More importantly, it will tell you if you’re over the TV’s axle ratings. Those can be found on the other door sticker and should be considered most important.

I don’t think Airstream will do anything on the mattresses - but the Tuft and Needle ones in the Globetrotter are really nice, much better than the standard ones. Same thing with the wheels - what you see is what you get. Some people upgrade to a 16” wheel and Michelin tire but that’s a dealer installed option. And, no trade-in credit for the original wheels. You get to keep them. The new Goodyear Endurance 15” tires are much better than the old Marathons so just wear them out then decide.

Hope that helps get you started. Happy Camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9628E480-271A-4765-9C9C-FA668DF7752E.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	352865   Click image for larger version

Name:	689BDF52-30B0-45BA-AE55-54BACCBD8763.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	352866  

WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:50 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
Thanks jeffmc306 for the reply.
I have a 2000 Ford Excursion 2 wheel drive 10 cylinder. I have a Road Master Active Suspension, Helwig rear sway bar, E rated Michelins, limited slip, soon to install Banks headers, 4.56 G2 ring & pinion and total refresh of suspension.
Thanks for the tip on Blue Ox.
Spaggs
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaggs View Post
Great news: my wife and I visited Southland RV/AS dealer and decided to order a new 27'. My question is, after we add additional solar panels, and stow a bunch of our stuff into it, do we then purchase one of those hitch ball weight gizzmos that measures tongue weight? Do we gingerly pull the thing home from the dealer using back roads without it or rent one that is close until we get the final weight determined?
Jesse, our salesman, recommended an Equalizer WDH. Does AS have some kind of connection with Equalizer to do this? By the way, if you want a great salesman that is not pushy and very patient with your questions, Jesse is the guy!
I saw on the 27' Globetrotter some wheels that match the ones on our Excursion. Would AS swap those out at the factory?
Would AS do a discount/delete on their mattress?

Thanks.

Spaggs
We have a 2017 27FBT towing with an F150 (though soon to be F250; bringing more stuff and starting to max out payload) and an equalizer hitch. The hitch works great and I haven't had any sway issues, just some porpoising when I had the load too high. We bought new 16" wheels and tires and sold the original 15'a online. I thought I'd never sell them but dang; not two days went past and a guy who wanted to spruce up a boat trailer bought them.

I think the Excursion is essentially an F250 underneath, right? In any case the issue won't be power but potentially payload. I think my tongue weight is about 900lbs plus my "stuff" and I was maxing out my 7k GVWR (1500 payload).

Good luck and have fun!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote