Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
HDMI issues

Why is this so complicated? We like to stream from our iPhone to Tv. We connect the iPhone adapter to the router, which connects to a HDMI splitter, which sends signal to TVs.

Today, the TV recognizes an HDMI connection, but no signal. I have tried every iteration of HDMI “handshake” without success. Finally went direct to the TV.

What is the magic behind getting this system to work?

I note that the indicator lights on backside of splitter are off. Is that a sign of a bad splitter?

2017 FC 27 RBT
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
HDMI issues

Airstream use a cheap hdmi splitter that can sometimes get out of sync with the TV from what I understand.

I don’t use an hdmi adapter for my phone, I use airplay through my Apple TV in the airstream. The Apple TV is connected to a 4 port hdmi switch which is then connected to the factory splitter. This avoids the splitter seeing different Hdmi sources and getting confused / out of sync.

Both iPhone and Apple TV are on a dedicated wireless LAN in the airstream. Works well for me.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
Thanks. Will try that
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Hillsborough , New Jersey
Our splitter (which is under the DVD player housing in our AS) works when it wants to work. It is also only a 1 input to 2 output device. Thus we are looking at replacing it and many people on this forum have recommended the Blackbird splitters. I have my eye on a 4x2 (4 input 2 output) splitter but I just haven't pushed the "buy" button yet. A benefit of this 4x2 device is you can have different inputs going to each television or if you want you can have the same input going to both televisions.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15376
fogartjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
LDM
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2024 27' Globetrotter
Jonesville , Louisiana
WE had spitter light off found it to be bad hdmi cable.
LDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Airstream use a cheap hdmi splitter that can sometimes get out of sync with the TV from what I understand.

I don’t use an hdmi adapter for my phone, I use airplay through my Apple TV in the airstream. The Apple TV is connected to a 4 port hdmi switch which is then connected to the factory splitter. This avoids the splitter seeing different Hdmi sources and getting confused / out of sync.

Both iPhone and Apple TV are on a dedicated wireless LAN in the airstream. Works well for me.
I tried to get an Apple TV to work using various iterations of tethering but it wouldn't and so far I'm too unmotivated to set up a dedicated wireless LAN, but good to know that is an option. For now I purchased a lightning to HDMI cable to hook up the iPad and we'll see how that goes next time out.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote