Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
No Heat Deja VU 2017 - All the Glycol on the concrete

After our first Glycol level experience and resolving it, we've been good for 7 months or so using it every day, working like a champ.

This week, we were in the high desert, and then setup in the mountains in Colorado at 8500ft on a concrete pad for a night..(nice luxury). In the AM I noticed what I thought was just a puddle of water. Did not think much at first, then before we left the puddle was much larger, and noticed a constant drip coming from the bottom edge of the trailer. In line with the exhaust port.

I then tested with my finger, and it's the Glycol/Mix...NOOOOO. I checked the Glycol tank after we got to our new site. Completely Empty, and not a bit of Hot Water, or Heat.

Does anyone have an idea, thankfully we have the Heat Pumps to keep the cold away!

Thanks in Advance

Paul and Nancy
Old 05-19-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
There is an auto air vent on a brass fitting with a small clear hose at the alde boiler under the dinette seat. Someone else had a problem with it sticking open. In a pinch, can add just distilled water, just won't have the lowest freeze protection, but no need if keep operating or in warmer climates. Tap it to try and get it to reseat, refill, and restart. Don't run electric or gas heaters if boiler fluid is low, i.e., no visible expansion tank level.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
There is an auto air vent on a brass fitting with a small clear hose at the alde boiler under the dinette seat. Someone else had a problem with it sticking open. In a pinch, can add just distilled water, just won't have the lowest freeze protection, but no need if keep operating or in warmer climates. Tap it to try and get it to reseat, refill, and restart. Don't run electric or gas heaters if boiler fluid is low, i.e., no visible expansion tank level.
Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look today!
Old 05-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
But, even without fluid in the heat part of the boiler I would suspect one can use the hot water side and simple set the heat thermostat low enough so the heating boiler does not come on?
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Today, I added the Glycol mix, and looked around the piping, tapping on the air vent.

All good so far, did 2 bleed sessions, I'll do another bleed in the am?

Got to keep an eye out on this!
Old 05-21-2017, 07:05 AM   #6
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
But, even without fluid in the heat part of the boiler I would suspect one can use the hot water side and simple set the heat thermostat low enough so the heating boiler does not come on?
"Warning, Will Robinson, danger, danger."

The electric heating elements are immersed in the glycol, and the glycol drum surrounds the gas burner chamber. You can run the heat without sanitary water or blown dry for winter, but low or no glycol could cook the unit. I believe the Alde manual speaks to this also.

I'm thinking the Alde expansion tank check might need to be on the "Set up Camp" checklist, prior to restarting, especially for new owners who are still venting the factory installed air [emoji3]
Old 05-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Got it, thank James.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Got it, thank James.
We also have the Alde boiler system on our 2017 Classic and I can't locate the fluid level check point referenced in the owners manual. I removed all three access panels and couldn't find it.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
We also have the Alde boiler system on our 2017 Classic and I can't locate the fluid level check point referenced in the owners manual. I removed all three access panels and couldn't find it.
It is located in the bathroom, in the cabinet above the toilet. Inside the cabinet on the left side is an access panel that is opened up by removing two screws.

Ron
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
More exposure of Airstream ignorance!!! Exactly what is the Glycol/Mix; what part of the Airstream trailer does it affect and what else do I need to know about Glycol/Mix ?
Thank you.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Betty Farmer, unless you have a 2017 or soon to be 2018 Classic you don't need to know anything about Glycol Mix. It is the 50/50 mixture of Glycol and water which is put into the Alde Boiler to then be heated and circulates around the trailer when demanded by the temperature set on the thermostat to heat the trailer. The same boiler also heats water for showers etc.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:04 AM   #12
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
For all those inquiring AS minds that want to learn all we know about the ALDE, I'd refer you to the 2017 Classic HW Mixing Valve thread and the Much To Do About Alde thread for the last six months of "Discovery, Diagnosis, and Do-something about it" that has been discussed. Welcome to the BAT. [emoji6]
Old 05-22-2017, 07:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldC303 View Post
It is located in the bathroom, in the cabinet above the toilet. Inside the cabinet on the left side is an access panel that is opened up by removing two screws.

Ron
Thank you.
I must have missed that part of the instructions.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldC303 View Post

Ron
I did find the tank thank you.
However I don't see any fluid in it. The tank is exposed a few inches and unless I am missing something again I can't see the fluid level in the exposed section.

How long does it take after turning on the boiler for the temperature to begin rising ?
Old 05-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
I did find the tank thank you.
However I don't see any fluid in it. The tank is exposed a few inches and unless I am missing something again I can't see the fluid level in the exposed section.

How long does it take after turning on the boiler for the temperature to begin rising ?
PS: The boiler does seem to be operating properly. I turn it on and we have hot water and heat in a reasonable amount of time. We really like this system.
Anyone calculate how much amps the Alde circulating pump draws vs the fan motor on the forced air system?
Old 05-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2018 Classics will have an on demand hot water system added to the boiler. Plus a multi stage converter - but the converted I've been told is not very good.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:11 PM   #17
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Frank - I am hoping James or Bud or someone has reached out to you by now but just in case you are still waiting and possibly freezing to death, I will give it a go.
I am glad you found the reservoir for the fluid. It is not your imagination that you are having a difficult time seeing if there is any fluid. I have to stand on the toilet and wiggle the tank a little to see the level. Some of the other owners have modified that area, cut out some of the wood, made fancy doors, lots of handy dandy ways to make it easier to see but I have the same old way. So when looking at the level, get a flashlight and you will see a mark on the reservoir that says MIN and MAX. Obviously the goal is to keep the level in between those marks.
Have you bled you system yet? Yup, once you have the fluid at the right level, please make sure you have bled your system. To do this please refer back to the ALL ABOUT ALDE in this forum.
All that done, doesn't take long for the system to produce heat but that depends on just how cool it is outside but you should start to have radiant heat in an hour. Heating the water for a shower takes about 15-20 depending on your specific system.
Once you get all the bugs worked out I promise it works very well and you will have a toasty warm Airstream and fair shower, maybe even good.
I hope I was a little help but I know the guys will help you with much more technical answers.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
PS: The boiler does seem to be operating properly. I turn it on and we have hot water and heat in a reasonable amount of time. We really like this system.
Anyone calculate how much amps the Alde circulating pump draws vs the fan motor on the forced air system?

Franky as Laurie stated if you still have issues fire away. James can get into more than I can, but I've gotten ours and several others running just fine.

Glad to see yours appears to be operating, they are a little slow to get the unit warm, but so is baseboard heating in a building as well. But, once warm it is great.

Bud
Old 05-25-2017, 08:05 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Frank - I am hoping James or Bud or someone has reached out to you by now but just in case you are still waiting and possibly freezing to death, I will give it a go.
I am glad you found the reservoir for the fluid. It is not your imagination that you are having a difficult time seeing if there is any fluid. I have to stand on the toilet and wiggle the tank a little to see the level. Some of the other owners have modified that area, cut out some of the wood, made fancy doors, lots of handy dandy ways to make it easier to see but I have the same old way. So when looking at the level, get a flashlight and you will see a mark on the reservoir that says MIN and MAX. Obviously the goal is to keep the level in between those marks.
Have you bled you system yet? Yup, once you have the fluid at the right level, please make sure you have bled your system. To do this please refer back to the ALL ABOUT ALDE in this forum.
All that done, doesn't take long for the system to produce heat but that depends on just how cool it is outside but you should start to have radiant heat in an hour. Heating the water for a shower takes about 15-20 depending on your specific system.
Once you get all the bugs worked out I promise it works very well and you will have a toasty warm Airstream and fair shower, maybe even good.
I hope I was a little help but I know the guys will help you with much more technical answers.
Thank you for all the responses.
I got the information I needed to have a complete understanding of the instructions and the system. I am good to go.