Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
I think the best way to carry a large motorcycle is not in the trailer but in the truck. That’s why I ordered an 8’ bed and I use a bed mounted Condor chock to secure my KTM 1190R. I wouldn’t want something that heavy sitting inside my expensive trailer. Definitely would not trust self tapped screws holding d-rings. I use two Bad Boy extended ramps to load and unload.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:54 PM   #22

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Schaumburg , Illinois
@Lara Me - Yes I agree and came to the same conclusion. If I want to go with an Airstream I'd likely need to trade my Gen II Ford Expedition for a pickup with an 8' bed. A 2017+ Ford F250 or F350 would likely be what I'd go with as I like the new aluminum body. I put very low miles on my trucks and they tend to rust out before other major problems. Looking at new pickup truck prices these days makes me reconsider the whole thing! Probably minimum $110k for me to get into a used Eddie Bauer hatchback and used 2017 F250 or F350. I can't justify that level of expenditure with my limited time availability for usage at this point in life. But it is a good plan for me in future years and some additional depreciation on those items will help me eventually get into them. Nice to see a fellow adventure rider making it work.

My only other issue with this setup is it limits me to 1 bike. If another rider wants to come along I have nowhere to put the bike. So lots for me to consider. People speak pretty highly of Lance and Northwood Desert Fox toy hauler trailers too. Might be able to use them with the snowmobile as well. Versatility is important for me and the various hobbies. Though nothing looks or feels like an Airstream.
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If you must have an Airstream and must bring a motorcycle, then the practical solution is a van as a TV.

Here's another idea. Distribute the load. Use a track along the sides and fasten it with screws into threaded inserts made for plywood.
Many fasteners mean each carries less load.
I used this track in a trailer of mine, although I used nuts and washers under the floor. Available in many lengths.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20899-6-double-motorcycle-tie-down-system_4_640.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	325331  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider View Post
Does anyone else have pictures of a motorcycle actually in the back? It looks like this would work and I am considering buying one of these units as long as I can transport my adventure bike in it (BMW F800GS). I think it would work just fine but this is the only thread I've found anywhere mentioning it. I guess most people are just using dedicated toy haulers that might make it more convenient. However, I'm not sure dealing with the other build quality issues would make it more convenient over the long haul.

I'm also wondering how the ramp might work and if any attachments have been rigged up. Can the bumper bear the weight of 750+ lbs if the ramp is set upon it?
Yes, check my other posts for photos of both a Yam and BMW in back of Eddie...
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I would never put a motorcycle in my AS. My 2 sons were pro dirt track racers on local and national circuit, I also raced local circuits. Often 3 race bikes a pit bike plus tools spare tires etc. all in bed if pu. never prob. w/weight or handling, also used ford van same set up. Winter time ice racing both in and outdoors, but no AS. Still take quad boondocking w/AS, at 84 yrs old no more dirt or ice. We also raced motocross. Just ride & enjoy as you are able. One of grand nat. bikes was HD xr 750 [they are heavy].
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Our motorcycles ride very well in the back of the Eddie; that is why we bought this particular AS model ... two times. Just be sure to check that your tie-down D-rings are actually attached to "something" other than just the wooden floor.
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote