Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Glen Arbor , Michigan
No EBs in production

I just toured Jackson Center and there were no EB's in production. The tour guide said that he had not seen one for several weeks. No mention of them being out of production though. I am planning to buy one with visions of dining with an open hatch. Is there anything I am missing? Are there downsides to an EB that I should think through? I have never owned an AS, but have been thinking about it for about 20 years.
Wanna EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We liked the EB features. But it's quite a nicely finished interior to shove bikes and kayaks in there. Stowing the dinette table under the bed was not easy, nor converting furniture. And if traveling a lot (as we do) with gear aboard, how do you use the interior for overnight stops.

For us the best use of EB would be to take the dinette and folding furniture and put two Euro-style recliners and a small table in their place.

But for over $10,000 less we bought the Flying Cloud, then loaded it with every option they had and those options make a wonderful and convenient trailer of it. Still came out thousands less than EB. We will probably use that extra savings to have the recliners installed.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Wanna EB -- Welcome to the Forum!

We carry bikes + canoe or bikes + solo fishing kayak on our tow vehicle (6' bed GMC Sierra w truck cap). For all the bother, I'm not convinced that the EB model is the best solution to carrying either. Seems that you lose some interior Airstream functionality to gain what? Tho' I am willing to consider what it takes to haul toys inside -- Canoe Cradle for Eddie Bauer. That sure is a lot of sugar for a dime.

I'd imagine any canoe or bike solution being easier to aim at the tow vehicle than inside an Eddie Bauer. Stowing toys inside the trailer seems to be a possibility if one has limits. But the $$$$ for an EB sure doesn't suggest that one has limits.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
The word I have heard is that Eddie Bauer and Airstream did not renew their contract. However I have no idea of what is in the future. Do not consider me a reliable source.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We'd sure like the convenience and security of the EB to haul and store our spendy mountain bikes! Put us in the EB plus column for sure... we have come to the realization at this point that being an avid mountain biker or canoeist is difficult if you are an avid AS boondocker (we bought an inflatable Zodiac raft!).

The top of our TV is well above the ground for easily reaching and removing the bikes (ladder required) as well as presenting some height considerations with campground trees ... we have given up with the disassembly required to store bikes under our PU topper / cap for longer distance trips; the topper does not provide the level of security as does the EB AS.... you can get into most toppers with a piece of wire! We'd welcome the trade-off / ease of putting up the EB dinette and table for transport / storage...the mounting points /tie downs in the EB would be great. No we don't work for EB or Airstream; the only hurdle for us is getting the $$ for an EB ... someday - that is our goal.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
We have only had our EB for a short time but so far we love it and don't have any problems with the folding and storage. However we had a SOB toyhauler so are used to the necessity of dealing with these issues. Hauling gear of whatever flavor in the EB or any toyhauler is a compromise over a straight trailler but that is what you are after you learn to deal with it.

We also like the fabric on the cushions that are more stain resistant. We travel with a dog and cat. The floor covering is different than other AS's we have seen and think it will hold up to hard use better. You do lose the underseat storage in the dinette but for extra storage we use plastic flip top bins that are sized for fitting under the seats if they are in the down position.

My advice is very carefully consider what you want your AS for and buy accordingly.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Glen Arbor , Michigan
This is very helpful input...thank you very much. My attraction to the EB was not its hauling capability, but instead the open air feeling associated with the rear hatch. Maybe I am imagining things with rose colored glasses.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Not to lose hope - even if they don't make any more new ones, used ones will start popping up on the market. After all, since you waited 20 years already, what's a few months to hunt for one...

As an avid mountain biker and kayaker, I find that the trailer almost never is at the trailhead or put-in where I want to ride or paddle. An EB wouldn't really help us much. But it sure would have that open-air feeling inside with the hatch open...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

If you going to look for used, you might as well hold out for one of these.
You can take more toys and still have room to party.

Colonial Airstream - Airstream 2010 PanAmerica 34' Toy Hauler Travel Trailer RV NJ

Ken
Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
The EB's are still shown on the Airstream website. If you are interested in buying a new one, call several dealers and ask if they can still order one for delivery next year. I say several because if you ask just one they may say that it's now or never, just to get an order now. There won't be any used ones in a few years, because I'll be looking for one
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Here's one we all can afford:

CHRISTOPHER RADKO EDDIE BAUER AIRSTREAM TRAILER ORNAMENT 2011 | eBay

Ken
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Glen Arbor , Michigan
Perhaps the open air dining is not worth the premium. I wonder what a very good deal would be on a basic flying cloud 25.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think the best way to get a fresh new Airstream is to order it exactly as you want it, at least 25' in size, and bargain for 15% off MSRP. You will do just as well as buying dealer stock, and it won't have had tire kickers and RV show lookers knocking it around. Batteries, tires, sealants all fresh. But watch list price, not all dealers are the same. Shop the internet, then buy it close to home.

doug k

PS Dining at the panoramic windows is also extraordinary, as well as sleeping under the pano windows at the other end.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
If you going to look for used, you might as well hold out for one of these.
You can take more toys and still have room to party.

Colonial Airstream - Airstream 2010 PanAmerica 34' Toy Hauler Travel Trailer RV NJ

Ken
Now that's the way to go. You can carry 3,000 pounds of stuff!!
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Smiles View Post
Now that's the way to go. You can carry 3,000 pounds of stuff!!
Ah, perfect for the op who doesn't want to carry anything.

doug k
Old 11-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Red face Camping with black flies.....

"to buy one with visions of dining with an open hatch."

For us......that's what the Zip-Dee is for. Keeping the screen door closed.

Maybe ok if you camp in a bug free State, which one would that be?

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
"to buy one with visions of dining with an open hatch."

For us......that's what the Zip-Dee is for. Keeping the screen door closed.

Maybe ok if you camp in a bug free State, which one would that be?

Bob

Actually the EB has a screen that can be pulled down when the rear hatch is open so bugs are not really a problem.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #18
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I posted this in AS lifestyle, I wasn't aware that an EB only thread was available,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...-eb-97385.html

I looked at the Pan Am on paper, too long to get into Nat & state CG's. About the same length of my 40' 5er if you lopped off the hitch overhang. Two years later the EB came out, the 25 didn't have the closet/pantry room I need. So happy the 27 came out, and I got in on the production schedule.
It may be more years until another version of the hatch back 'stream gets born
Old 11-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
I posted this in AS lifestyle, I wasn't aware that an EB only thread was available

I don't think it matters in the long run where you posted it. Most users see the posts from all threads and forums (except those they have chosen to ignore) in the portal or new posts section. I saw your post and am waiting to hear all it all turns out.

Ken
Old 11-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Unlike other companies, Airstream only builds to order, so if they don't have orders for a specific model they don't build them. So what you see on the line at the factory has been ordered by a customer/dealer.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote