Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Special Editions and Limited Releases > Eddie Bauer - All Models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ouray , Colorado
EB 27FB - Can I put a washer in the wardrobe cabinet?

Looking at the EB 27FB, and was wondering if I could fit one of those all in one washer/dryer units. The space next to the bathroom shows as wardrobe. Or is there any other place one would fit?
jasperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I haven't heard of anyone attempting to install an RV washer/dryer in a 27FB; there might be a good reasons for not doing it while the concept may be attractive to some. The closet on my 27FB appears large enough to accommodate one of these units. The door opening is 21" and the max depth of the closet is 26". The floor of the closet serves as the access point to the water pump as well as other items that may need access down the road and there is a boxed area at the rear of the floor to accommodate some things on the interior wall that reduces the depth at that level. The closet floor would have to be modified to carry the weight. I'm not sure how you would want to vent the dryer and many have noted in a 27FB that when they drain the kitchen sink, water briefly backs up the shower. Airstreams are not noted for extra storage and I wouldn't want to give up the storage the closet provides for me.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Any modification probably could be done. But why. I think it's outside of the Airstream concept of providing a high degree of travel comfort and convenience in a very compact package.

We spend about six months year in the Airstream. Of all the amenities we would choose to add, a washer dryer to use about once a week would be the last. Not that it wouldn't be useful; it's a low, low priority in our idea of Airstreaming.

And of course there are weight and balance considerations, as well as loss of space, power requirements, and managing the additional water needs and disposal.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can use a lot of coin operated laundramats for what that tiny washer/dryer costs.
Isn't one of the wheelwells in the bottom of that closet, anyway?
How much does an RV washer weigh, and is it worth the reduction in carrying capacity? You may have to leave most of your clothes behind in order to save enough weight to be able to bring along the washer to wash the clothes you can't bring.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
If you are talking about the Splendide 2100XC all-in-one unit, you will need a cavity of approximately 24" X 24". You will also need a dedicated drain pipe linked into your grey tank, hot/cold water lines and a 20 amp dedicated 120VAC circuit with it's own circuit breaker.

The biggest problem that I see in installing one of these is the weight. They are typically in the 125lb range empty, and that would upset the relatively even weight distribution found in the trailer.

And yes, they are expensive. Even when on sale at places like Camping World, they are still well over $1100. That's a lot of quarters..........
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Laundry capacity and drying time are big considerations, too. These units hold much less than home washers and dryers, and you can buy a lot of quarters for the purchase price. Also, drying time is really slow...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Met someone last winter who affectionately called her's "the great wrinklier"....things would be twisted up after drying. Very small loads were all she could do. I don't think I'd give up the closet space, either.
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schools Out View Post
Met someone last winter who affectionately called her's "the great wrinklier"....things would be twisted up after drying. Very small loads were all she could do. I don't think I'd give up the closet space, either.
Heh... I like "the great wrinkler".

I've never had one of the really-tiny RV-sized ones, but when I lived in Italy I had a washer-dryer I called the Washeracacycle. (I'm a nerd who grew up with The Jetsons.) It was quite slow on the drying cycle, and EVERYTHING came out very wrinkled. I did more ironing in my apartment in Milano than I think I've done all my life before or since!

It was much bigger than an Airstream, but I didn't even have 30A service. The iron and the oven couldn't be on at the same time, or I'd have a trip down to the basement to reset my apartment's main breaker, which was at the meter.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I'll bet it would be easier to just put one of those washer/dryers in the back of your tow vehicle and run hoses and electric to it in there when needed. At only 125#'s one could even lift it out set it on the ground to use it.
Although, I don't know how fellow campers would view the set up. I know I wouldn't want to listen to a washer or dryer making noise when I'm trying to relax in my lounge chair looking at a mountain or lake.
On second thought, maybe it's better to figure out if it will fit in the wardrobe.
You got us thinking anyway!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
https://www.lehmans.com/p-4444-breat...nd-washer.aspx

Here's a washing machine that actually works really well - especially as an alternative to "time out" for a misbehaving child!

Lehmans also has the wringer - but a rolling pin works reasonably well too! This originally came up in a thread about seeing the Amish.

Washing machines even in Moho's aren't all that great an idea. Just one more expensive thing to break.

Paula
Old 05-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Ouray , Colorado
Thanks for the answers. Wife and I have been looking at RV's / 5th wheels / TT over the last few months, as we both work from home now. This is a good opportunity to do some traveling across country with our 2 chessies (dogs).

While the big fancy Toy Haulers are nice (was looking at 43' Dutchmen Voltage), we just don't need anything that large. Also I personally like being under 30' and driving into a state park, etc. I would think having a washer all in one unit would be beneficial when staying long on the road and hooked up at parks. Many of the big 5th wheels have these units.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have my T fitting for winterizing the trailer under the floor of the wardrobe. We never do laundry on the road. We just save it all up and do it when we get home. We will occassionally dry swimsuits or towels at a coin-op laundry.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I had a Splendide installed in my 40' toy hauler for 9 years now.
I can run one load into my 43 gallon grey tank without overflowing. I don't think the AS's 37 gallon grey tank will hold it. The spin cycle will shake the coach hard until the load balances. This thing spins way faster than the full size home top loaders.
I dry my clothes to a slightly damp setting, then lay them out flat, smoothing wrinkles, to dry on the bed.

I didn't even think of installing one in my new 27 EB
Old 05-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Ouray , Colorado
LOL- I hadn't thought about the spin cycle. And the grey water tank- good points. Might need to look into a different method.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Providence , Rhode Island
If you need to get one, maybe you can find an energy efficient one that uses one gallon or so of water. I know Miele made one but think there are others out there.
BorninRI is offline   Reply With Quote