Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Special Editions and Limited Releases > Eddie Bauer - All Models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
Make your own Eddie Bauer rear door AS?

Hello all-

I am a newbie on forum but been lurking awhile. Starting to look for my first Airstream to use for our family of four. I am pretty handy with tools, and also an aircraft mechanic in my free time so know how to buck rivets, etc.

I really like the styling (and cost) of the vintage Airstreams and have been looking at trailers in the 25-29 ft range. This way I also have the ability to do what we want with the restoration/upholstery, colors, etc. The problem we have is that we also sail small boats and I want to be able to do both when we are on trips. Obviously it is impractical to devise a roof rack to load a 150 pound sailboat on top, and when I measured out the other plan I had (fabricate a long ten foot frame extension on front ) you would end up having to move axles and end up with a real frankenstein creation.

I was on Ebay last night and saw the one I think would solve my problem- its a 2012 Eddie Bauer "camper edition". with huge lift gate on the back. Measuring the door opening it would be no problem to fit the boat inside and work well for our application, but these cost $75,000.

Anyone ever try to make their own door on the back of an Airstream? Obviously I would have to avoid the units with rear bath, but is there anything structural that would prevent me from trying to modify my own trailer? I have come up with several ideas to make it work so far, but need to know more about what underlies the walls to make it work. You could use the lift struts airstream uses, a "drip rail" gutter over the lip to keep it dry and a weatherproof seal around it, then beef up the structure around perimeter to avoid flexing/fatigue.

Seems like I could buy a decent $7-8000 unit in need of TLC and not have too much to lose.

Thoughts and ideas on this anyone?

Thanks,
Rick B. in GA
mtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If you do a bit of searching on this site you will find some pictures of several trailers that have been modified with doors on the ends and at least one with a clamshell type opening rear end. Very ambitious project, good luck and don't forget to post your pictures as the project takes shape.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Lets be practical here for a minute.

Would it not be easier to modify/design the sail boat so that it can be carried on the roof of the tow vehicle?

That is existing capacity space that is not being used, could be 26'+ in length, (depending on the tow vehicle) and puts any weight issues on a vehicle designed for it.

The Airstream trailer has enough problems now as designed, without more help.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
Its a one design sailboat (like stock cars) that we race , not really able to mess with it or it won't work as intended or could be illegal to use. Its pretty easy to wheel around and not hard to slide up ramps, but pretty heavy and large to go on roof of the car.

I'm thinking if I go with something at larger end of spectrum it should work better than the original 25 ft units I was considering. I found a few photos on the website a few minutes ago and a some of them turned out pretty nice. It looks like it would take some time to do correctly.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Maybe the solution is a classic AS motor home and pull a trailer for the sail boat?
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
Yes, this is an option worth considering. Just know even less about the motorhomes.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:49 PM   #7

2008 28' Safari
St Peters , Missouri
Interested

Great idea, I’m interested in knowing a little more, I do know about your potential as an airline sheet medal mechanic. I’d like to here more about your door idea. I’m an Ironworker for 32 years and have worked with many types and thicknesses of aluminum. The biggest problem I see with the stress cracks on the Eddie Bauer edition rear hatch is that it really needs to be rounded an not a square 90s at edges. They did it to the entry doors and it’s unclear to me why they didn’t catch that. Get back to me I want to see if you or anyone else has pursued this.

Kevin Hackworth
Smackworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I say do it!

There's really not much concern for structure if you stay within the center portion of the end cap, between the vertical frame members that run down the side of the center window.

I'd say to take out the interior at the portion you want to make the opening. Add a new frame just inside the main vertical members, that will compose the frame of the new door opening. Once that's framed out and rivetted...cut the skin!

It would necessary to make jam or threshold that you can add bulb seal to. Fortunately, it's at the rear which is more forgiving to water pressure driving water in when under tow.

Of course you'll need to design in a hinge, securing mechanism, and lift struts. And a rain channel above the door.

Can you weld aluminum? That would help greatly.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:25 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bozeman , Montana
Not sure what all is in this kit but it might be worth looking into...
http://airstreamsupply.com/rear-hatc...ly-eddie-bauer

For a while I was seriously considering this type of project but in the end I decided I didn’t really have the spare time to take it in and get all the camping I wanted to do done. I am very interested in your progress, please continue to share any updates.
mtbackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
There is a 3 part series on Youtube about a trailer that was turned into a car hauler. Below is the link to the third part--the "reveal." They did a lot of beefing up to make this thing work.

As they say, anything can be done with enought time and money.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I know there are folks who have taken more recent model trailers to the factory and had the rear hatch door installed.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:03 PM   #12

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I understand Airstream will make the mod for you. About 10k including parts.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #13
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Why not just add a rack to your tow vehicle? I suspect that would be a lot cheaper and easier than modifications to the trailer.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #14
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Same problem with my kayak, carry it in the 'stream, you have to take the 'stream to the water. Every time. There are systems to load 12' aluminum fishing boats on top of shell campers. Never stated your one design boat, how heavy?