Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Special Editions and Limited Releases > Eddie Bauer - All Models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
EB owners - very specific Q - making up the dinette bed.

Understanding the number of EB owners to date active in the forums may be low, I would like to get a glimpse into how you house your guests when on the road? I am not yet an owner, but am considering between an EB-27FB and International 27-FB as my front-runners at the current time.

In particular I have a question regarding the rear bed converted from the dinette. My local airstream dealer does not carry the EB line, so only observing online diagrams and photos, it appears the back door hatch cuts into the seating pads by a good three or four inches. How much of a hinderance is this for a visiting couple sleeping in this space? It would seem to me to create an inability to fit bottom/top loose sheets, blankets, etc. to the space. Other than sleeping bags or placing a mattress pad to square off the area, what steps have you taken to accommodate overnight guests?

Thanks for your time,

Ian Poulin
Richmond Va.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Ian,

Welcome to the forums.

In broad terms, most Airstream owners do not make up the dinette bed using sheets and blankets. There are several reasons: the need to strip the bed each morning, the odd size, the awkward access to the far corners.

While we do use sheets for our own beds, we have been using sleeping bags for the dinette and the gaucho.

Another alternative to consider is sleep sacks (like this) combined with blankets which provides a middle way between sheets and sleeping bags.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I do use sheets only when guests come along. It is a hassle to make and unmake it, but it is infrequently enough that I can't see spending for the bedsacks, etc. That may change with multiple grandchildren someday.

In the meantime. I use a single sized padded mattress pad with elastic and a fitted sheet set.

If you use it a lot, then Jammer has the right approach.....I still would use a fitted mattress pad to keep the cushions protected.

PS, I think there is enough "slop" in the way fitted pads and sheets fit, that the small irregularity in the EB would not be an issue.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
We have the 25EB and I am not sure I really follow how the door might cut into the sleeping area. We have not made it up into a bed yet but do anticipate having guests at some point and their directions will be to bring sleeping bags since we simply won't go into the hassle of providing sheets etc.

We got the EB over the other 25' models because we wanted the hatch and we wanted the more robust fabric on the cushions, think it is some version of Sunbarella (spelling?). So obviously my advice will be to buy the EB if you have a use for it's special features but if you don't, get something else.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
My 27 is on order, but I too have noticed the frame for the screen will intrude into my shoulder while stretched out tv viewing. I was thinking about a custom foam wedge that will cover (smooth) this spot for reclining comfort.
The EB may be dropped from the lineup for 2013, The EB license to build may expire
Old 11-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
Understanding the number of EB owners to date active in the forums may be low, I would like to get a glimpse into how you house your guests when on the road? I am not yet an owner, but am considering between an EB-27FB and International 27-FB as my front-runners at the current time.

In particular I have a question regarding the rear bed converted from the dinette. My local airstream dealer does not carry the EB line, so only observing online diagrams and photos, it appears the back door hatch cuts into the seating pads by a good three or four inches. How much of a hinderance is this for a visiting couple sleeping in this space? It would seem to me to create an inability to fit bottom/top loose sheets, blankets, etc. to the space. Other than sleeping bags or placing a mattress pad to square off the area, what steps have you taken to accommodate overnight guests?

Thanks for your time,

Ian Poulin
Richmond Va.
Safford is the only dealer in VA - but Airstreams are a small sideline so they rarely have more than 3 to 5 in stock. Lame.

Ian, gonna send you on an adventure in Airstreaming. Go north to Lakeview NJ - Colonial Airstream. It's in the triangle near Philly even though the addr is NJ. ((PS If you don't want to drive that far or can't find the time to drive that far.... uh... would you actually ever USE an RV? Not that I haven't developed a penchant for "localish" camping. There are lots of pretty parks around VA and I can find several within 50 miles of my home base here in Va. Beach. But trust me, make an appointment and go! Have a drool cup handy so you don't mess up any upholstery!))

Do not buy sight unseen - they have the EB's in stock.... AND the Serenities and Internationals. You'll be sick if you don't compare them side by side and buy the "wrong one".

Mind you what is right for you is simple - it's not what anyone else recommends - it's what you want. All that said, if you are going to spend a lot of time in it, go for the 27, not the 25... more storage space, queen bed you can walk around and change sheets easily, storage space under the queen is more easily accessable. Disadvantage of the Eddie Bauer is lack of storage under the seats (I tend to collect stuff, so lack of places to squirrel it away might be a good thing. )... but one big advantage is that with zero carpet and that big back hatch you can sweep the floor with a leaf blower!
Old 11-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
My 27 is on order, but I too have noticed the frame for the screen will intrude into my shoulder while stretched out tv viewing.

I put a couple of the throw pillows at the end of the dinette seat when doing this and not noticed any problem from the door/screen frame.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Colonial is in LakeWOOD, NJ and they have a field of airstreams to look at. their website will help narrow the selection. great people to buy from.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again

Ian, gonna send you on an adventure in Airstreaming. Go north to Lakeview NJ - Colonial Airstream. It's in the triangle near Philly even though the addr is NJ. ((PS If you don't want to drive that far or can't find the time to drive that far.... uh... would you actually ever USE an RV? Not that I haven't developed a penchant for "localish" camping. There are lots of pretty parks around VA and I can find several within 50 miles of my home base here in Va. Beach. But trust me, make an appointment and go! Have a drool cup handy so you don't mess up any upholstery!))
A trip to Colonial is definitely on the books! I travel to Manhattan a Saturday a month as it is (last minute half-price broadway and off broadway shows.). Tend to split the trips 50/50 between driving and Amtrak so it would be easy to stay at the W overnight and take a leisure day at Colonial on the way south.

Ian
Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I've heard Airstreams feed six, seat four, and sleep two. On that advice I'd leave those clumsy EB seats and table at home and put my European recliners in. The hatch is the magnificent idea here.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Well, for my needs, I would want to allow for as many guests as I can without breaking campground or morality guidelines. Within the non-EB 27s, I like the idea of the dinette double and the long couch queen pullout. It seems with the EB, the dinette double is still doable - and indeed could be my primary bed at a campground with the screen down and the cargo door open. The EB long-couch though looks to not convert width wise, leaving it as a single bed only.

So my own personal decision is to see which is valuable more - an enclosed airstream which can handle more guests, or an open-air (relatively speaking) airstream for my toys and fewer guests. I already understand I can upgrade the International wheels to 16" so I ought to be able to obtain the same undercarriage clearance in fields, campgrounds, swamps, etc. One more thing to add to my list when I take the trip to Lakewood NJ; bring a dolly and scoot around the undercarriages to check out the differences....
Old 11-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Then you ought to consider a 28' or 30' for less money than EB. More comfortable seating and actually can sleep six.

doug k
Old 11-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum
Then you ought to consider a 28' or 30' for less money than EB. More comfortable seating and actually can sleep six.

doug k
The 28 I am actively wanting to look at. The 27/28 is the limit length wise; given I want to ensure I can shoehorn into the great western parks and reserves. Does anyone know the base retail of the EB? The price sheet I saw was about 74k MSRP for the 28 and 76K for the 27 (new.)

If they stop making the EB, I could actually see the EBs currently sold as appreciating in value when sold used...
Old 11-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Of all the reasons to buy an RV resale value would have to be the least. They all nosedive as you drive away from the dealer.

Buy the one you like the best, and get the options you like (there aren't many). Solar, awnings, inverter, 16" wheels all greatly increase your enjoyment of the trailer.

Get a great hitch for it for the best drivability. Propride is the best.

doug k
Old 11-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
My 31' only sleeps two
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I've heard Airstreams feed six, seat four, and sleep two. On that advice I'd leave those clumsy EB seats and table at home and put my European recliners in. The hatch is the magnificent idea here.

doug k
Remember to qualify ... finesse is in the eyes of the beholder. We find the fold-up seats to be anything but clumsy... rather they are very utilitarian, comfortable, and with superior breathable fabric coverings. The removable table is designed to make the rear accessed cargo area usable for cargo...no need to fold and stow a table as in some models. The table top can be handily secured under the bed or simply placed on top of the bed and easily secured there as well. The posts store in the closet.

Storage under the seats is best accomplished with portable storage containers which can be easily moved forward when utilizing the huge rear storage area - we do miss the style of overhead bins of the FC for ease of access. But, then, this was designed as an international trim level with that style of overhead storage + a rear opening hatch.

If you are looking for recliners, then suggest a different model... it actually makes a measurable difference in your opinion if you own one... that is why AS makes so many different models / designs.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Thanks mefly2, owner experience is good.

We had planned on the Eddie Bauer when we went shopping for our present Airstream. Tried the stowing routine, and that was our assessment of it. I like the ability to convert that space to other use, including recliners, and that's how we would use it. But the 25' FC front dinette just came out, a fresh new one was in stock, and won our favor.

doug k
Old 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Austin , Texas
My two kids sleep in an 'L' configuration in the converted dinette. Every morning/evening we convert the back of the EB often spinning a DVD before bed. We love it.

« - | Top | EB Fiamma Bike rack »