Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Registry Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

The Airstream
Rivet Master

Airstream Registry
Airstream Name The Airstream
Year 71
Make Airstream
Model Globetrotter
Length 21'
Options Gutted right now
71 Airstream Globetrotter
Overview At one time it was a mobile locksmith's shop. I believe that the galley was removed at that time. I did not know this when I bought it, but during the gutting out process I found bags of uncut keys and some old receipt pads. I tried looking up the details on the receipt pads but none were found.

I bought it from a man that was using it as a bunk house on some hunting property in Wyoming.
The old locksmith table was being used as a bunk. The inside was in a disgusting state and mice had pretty much overrun the interior. My wife wouldn't even go in it do to the large number of corpse's littering the inside.

The condition of the lower exterior panels was poor and I knew much work would be required to save it. I did not try to save any of the interior because we are going to reconfigure the layout to suit our needs anyway.

The project can be seen at this link

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f416/71-globetrotter-full-monte-26902.html

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f416/71-globetrotter-25666.html
Exterior
71 Airstream Globetrotter Exterior 71 Airstream Globetrotter Exterior 71 Airstream Globetrotter Exterior
I knew that when I bought it that a lot of aluminum would have to be replaced. What I didn't know was that the lower corners were compound skins. I did replace them with straight sheet stock, but it did require more work then expected. I had to flange and shrink the upper mounting surfaces, along with the aft edge to make it work. The forward corners required me to replace a center curved rib with a straight one in order to make a flat sheet not "Oil Can" The side panels were a simple remove and replace but I did change the framing over the wheel wells. This was not a complete shell off but done in halves, with the aft section done first. I also increased the metal thickness on the sides to .040 and the front and rear to .050. While doing this I also improved the front and rear shell to frame attachment.

Interior
The interior is basic aluminum tent right now. I have a whole new interior, It's just in kit form.

Customization
71 Airstream Globetrotter Customization 71 Airstream Globetrotter Customization 71 Airstream Globetrotter Customization
I replaced the KT entry door latch with a more reliable one. This required a door reskin

Systems and Running Gear
71 Airstream Globetrotter Systems and Running Gear 71 Airstream Globetrotter Systems and Running Gear
The frame has been completely cleaned and POR 15 sprayed on, along with a complete new floor. Some did not need replacement but was replaced due to smell of mice urine.

Other Information
71 Airstream Globetrotter Other Information
The axle was replaced with a 4500 lb Dexter

Tow Vehicle
1999 Extended Cab 5.2L 4X4 Dodge Dakota
Comments: 0 / Views: 46656