Old 12-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
Austin , Texas
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
....all that $$$$$ spent on a new AS that will be substantially changed just to achieve a lower TW & GW, so it can be toed by a specific vehlittle.

Do NOT rely an the factory published weights.
Add 1000-1500 trlr weight and 250-350TW.

There is a very good chance that the first AS will not be the last. Any mods that you make now will also need to please the new owner down the road.

My 2 scent's.....get the largest you can without any major modifications.

I know but I've got to work with what I've got. With the VW Diesel scandal, if I sold now I'd probably lose at least $20k so that's not really an option. Plus for the 95% of the time I drive it without a trailer the 30MPG is nice. But really the mod's I've been talking about are either temporary & free (moving batteries & propane tanks) or easily reversible & maybe(?) not very expensive (replacing dinette with lounge).

I'd also rather not go through several trailers to get to the right one - i'd rather wait a few years & just get the 25FB Twin if that's the best fit.

da7id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1985 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
I am always happy to see another VW hooked to an Airstream

PeterKV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
Woodland , California
Originally Posted by da7id View Post
any idea if airstream sells "parts" - like say the complete 66" lounge section from a 23D?
I believe they do offer replacement parts, or at least they catalog them. I have found the following Airstream webpage listing manuals and parts books very helpful in understanding how the different trailers compare to each other. May give you some useful ideas for customization.

Manuals, Airstream Travel Trailers, Touring Coaches | Airstream
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
I appreciate your dilemma, da7id. Though our dog is smaller, when we purchased our Airstream early this year we had parking space concerns at our condo and we loved the almost new Jeep GC Ecodiesel we were committed to use as our tow vehicle. We really like the 32 mpg and almost 800 mile range when not towing, and the tow capacity was ok at 7,200 lbs, but the tongue weight limit of 720 lbs eliminated our first choice, the 25 FC. The dealer tried to assure us (incorrectly) that our TV could handle the 25FC. But, as many have said here, the listed dry tongue weights are far from accurate and this is a very important consideration regardless of the hitch used. We went with the 23FB and after 15,000+ miles, including many mountain passes, are pleased with the combination and accommodations. We do use a tongue scale to check loaded weight, but even when we packed for a 95-day cross continent trip were well under the 720 lb limit. We use an Equalizer hitch that weighs about 85 lbs. I also confirm weight and distribution using CAT scales.

Good luck with whatever decision you reach!
"Having differences makes a difference"
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member
Austin , Texas
I went & looked at the 23FB this past weekend & just can't see that working. I think we are settling on the 23D. It looks like most of the storage is in the back so the tongue should get a little lighter as we load up. I like the idea of replacing the batteries with lithium - seems like that should take 80lbs off the tongue which should get me close enough if I just use anti sway bars rather than a full WDH. I'd shoot for a 600lb tongue on a 6000 GVWR (prob closer to 5000lbs actual so much higher than 10% tongue weight.
da7id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #20

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
We just bought a 23FB (moved up from a 19") because it's the biggest Airstream we think we can safely tow with our TDI.

roperlaw is offline   Reply With Quote