Old 12-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
I did it!

So I bit the bullet and purchased the new 2015 25' Flying Cloud FB...Dealt with Airstream Adventures in Portland and so far they have been great to deal with...even keeping it for me until spring so I get the right tow vehicle. Thanks for all the input!

Old 12-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Did you get visitation rights ... awwww, the heartache of not having in the driveway! LOL

Old 12-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp View Post
Both you and Mefly2 misunderstood the comment by Atheness as it meant they are getting almost 20% quoted on 2014's, not the practically new 2015's with ducted air.

Hence the additional question made about waiting until 2016's come out to then buy a discounted 2015, roughly a year from now.

But then maybe AS will finally start building with better core materials and not steel frames with plywood and particle board.... I'm joking of course, that will never happen
Enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Gosh, all this buyin and percentagin makes me want to go and buy a new one!
Old 12-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
@atheness

Congratulations, I think the advantage of the ducted air is worth 15-20% in price, and in years to come will be a very significant point for used Airstreams. The 2015 models will hold value, the pre-2015 may drop more than in previous years.

Just my opinion, and i will have to admit the only reason I ordered a 2015 was there were no allotments on the production schedule for 2014 model year. When i ordered mine I had no idea of the ducted air. But the 5% price increase from 2014 to 2015 I was acutely aware of.

Oh, who posted a photo of my dinner?
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
@atheness

Congratulations, I think the advantage of the ducted air is worth 15-20% in price, and in years to come will be a very significant point for used Airstreams. The 2015 models will hold value, the pre-2015 may drop more than in previous years...
+1
We ordered ours last June specifically for the ducted air and really agree with all those advocates for the ducted ... otherwise it would be hard to justify trading a 2012 in on a 2015 Atheness, you will really like yours!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
+1
We ordered ours last June specifically for the ducted air and really agree with all those advocates for the ducted ... otherwise it would be hard to justify trading a 2012 in on a 2015 Atheness, you will really like yours!
Stop it!! You guys are killing me! LoL Don't you want to just "enjoy" and not drive prices up on negotiating?? Think of some of the folks who "don't own" yet....just saying! By the way, do you put salsa on that bird or Teriyaki!
Old 12-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
OK, now that I have thoroughly irritated some...... If, I had a 2014, I do believe there is some technique one can incorporate to add some ducting and insulation to make it much quieter and more attractive than it is as delivered.

There are sound deadening packages available from audio stores which are very thin, yet cut down noise considerably. Or, think aluminum sheets with auto undercoat sprayed on the interior, creating some type of ducting from the unit for the cool air, and covering the rest of the unit with a 1/4" closed cell foam. Also, adding a very thin layer of sound deadening into the actual ducting in the unit can decrease the noise considerably.

One might ask why this is not done at the factory....simple.....money.

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 12-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
OK, now that I have thoroughly irritated some...... If, I had a 2014, I do believe there is some technique one can incorporate to add some ducting and insulation to make it much quieter and more attractive than it is as delivered.

There are sound deadening packages available from audio stores which are very thin, yet cut down noise considerably. Or, think aluminum sheets with auto undercoat sprayed on the interior, creating some type of ducting from the unit for the cool air, and covering the rest of the unit with a 1/4" closed cell foam. Also, adding a very thin layer of sound deadening into the actual ducting in the unit can decrease the noise considerably.

One might ask why this is not done at the factory....simple.....money.
I am not sure if there is a cleaver way to do that on the 14'; but I sure do like the 15' air...If I had only known when I bough our 14' that this was coming, I would have waited and got a 15'. At first, I thought no big deal in the sound efficiency difference of the 2 models. Now after spending more time in our AS and spending time in a new 25' with air running, I confess, their is a huge difference in not only the noise difference but also the efficiency. Only thing I would ask is for the vent openings to have controllable louvers so you could shut them down or direct them, like an airplane. I understand there is supposed to be aftermarket ducts that can do this; have not seen yet. Anyone know anything on this topic? We may upgrade to 15 or 16 this year...
Old 12-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I am not sure if there is a cleaver way to do that on the 14'; but I sure do like the 15' air...If I had only known when I bough our 14' that this was coming, I would have waited and got a 15'. At first, I thought no big deal in the sound efficiency difference of the 2 models. Now after spending more time in our AS and spending time in a new 25' with air running, I confess, their is a huge difference in not only the noise difference but also the efficiency. Only thing I would ask is for the vent openings to have controllable louvers so you could shut them down or direct them, like an airplane. I understand there is supposed to be aftermarket ducts that can do this; have not seen yet. Anyone know anything on this topic? We may upgrade to 15 or 16 this year...
Although I tried to give empirical information, ultimately the personal choice is subjective with regard to the ducted air.
Glad to hear that someone else endorses just what I have been saying since we experienced ours last July !!! Listen up you naysayers ...
Old 12-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Although I tried to give empirical information, ultimately the personal choice is subjective with regard to the ducted air.
Glad to hear that someone else endorses just what I have been saying since we experienced ours last July !!! Listen up you naysayers ...
Hi Mefly- what do you think about the vent openings; do they need louvers to control flow or direction or does that seem not an issue in your experience.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Hi Mefly- what do you think about the vent openings; do they need louvers to control flow or direction or does that seem not an issue in your experience.
Gypsydad-

Louvers for the vents have not been an issue for us at this point. We have had the EB out in below freezing up to 95+ degree weather and find that any possible need for louvers is more than offset by the evenness of temperature throughout the AS and reduced sound. There is still a noticeable increase in the volume of air moved closer to the AC unit compared to the ends of the AS. The ducting and number of vents (even including the mid area of head / shower) seems to be perfect on our 25'. We never got any real cooling (or heating) in the bathroom in previous iterations. Of course, the fan speed may be set either to automatic or several other manual settings to tailor the airflow to just what you desire - for both heating and cooling. Whereas the previous non-ducted jet engine would drown out normal level speech with its blowing on auto, the ducted air / heat -even on auto- is almost whisper quiet in comparison. YMMV

When we are out in elevated temps, it is nice to be able to go into the FB and relax on the bed to cool down; that was impossible in our previous non-ducted units...even utilizing an extra fan! There is also another "sweet spot" in the galley where there is a subtle increase in air flow / cooling that serves the same purpose. On those cold mornings / days when the heat is necessary, the ducted heat pump warms the whole interior much better than the older non ducted unit ...or the furnace - for that matter. In short, we have found no need for louvers and - to us at least - that concern is overblown. If you want more even temperatures throughout your AS with vastly reduced noise, then the ducted air is truly the answer! IMHO ...Some folks would still complain if the unit were gold plated; AS knocked it out of the park with this improvement.
My wife is a nurse with some respiratory concerns and this new system allows for easy filtration on the inlet side as another plus.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
While the performance of the ducted air is extremely good as noted by almost everyone who has a 2015 with this, on my Serenity 30 RB, there is a definite draft in one's face when in bed.

Although i have done several other mods to the unit, I have as yet to do this one, but, will no doubt place something in the vent so as to redirect the air to the side. Or maybe an external piece held in place by Velcro would be better as it could be easily readjusted.

More to follow....

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 01-04-2015, 09:21 PM   #42
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by atheness View Post
The Portland dealer has already offered me almost 20% off MSRP. Will I do better than that if I wait for the 2016's to come out and then get my 2015? So new to all of this. You all are a fantastic resource. Hope to meet you on the road!
I really liked Katie at Airstream Adventures Northwest. Real easy going and offered a lot of info on the rig I was looking at buying. We put our purchase on hold for now but will probably call her when we decide on which 25FB model we want to buy.

Having said that I also like Sutton, but I've never gotten pricing from them but read that someone got 25% off msrp on that years model without even haggling, which would be awesome. The person didn't disclose the salespersons name so Im not sure how valid the info was.

Best of luck