Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Newbie here, need buying advice

Hello all,

I am struggling with which model and size to purchase. I like the dark decor of the International and the light decor of the Sport. Not too fond of the decore of the Flying Cloud. I want to pull with my current truck, a Toyota Tacoma Double Cab with factory installed tow package putting it at a max 6400 tow rating. I pulled another SOB for a month out west, which had a 2300 dry weight, and I know that the mountain passes are a bear. I just get in the slowest lane and chug along, I plan to do the same with an AS. I am also looking at ways to boost the Taco's power. The AS sales person stated I wouldn't have any problem with the 23' Flying Cloud, which is the exact same weight as the International. BUt the 22' Sport is 1127 pounds lighter than either. Or I could go with the 19' International which weighs nearly the same as the 22' Sport. I have been told by other AS owners that the sport and the the flying cloud are less well made than the International. I would love to have others weight in as I am finding my head spinning.
Blazesmom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
I have a similar truck. Mid size Nissan truck V6 6500lb tow capacity. I pulled a smaller 3000lb trailer with it without problem.

I purchased a 22' Safari. Trust me your little truck will let you know pretty fast that you have gone over its happy zone should you go with the 23' Fly Cloud no matter what the salesmen tells you ;-) Yup it will be fine on the relatively flat highway but wait until you do your first mountain pass. You will no doubt be joining me shopping for a new truck with a bit more tow capacity and power. :-)
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
There are a lot of important differences functionally inside the 22 sport vs the 19. I suggest visiting a dealer with both models and really spend 10-15 minutes in each one.

The 19 has the dinette in the front window which offers nice view while eating. It has an option for a propane oven, and it has the lavatory sink outside the bathroom.

But it has a small toilet/shower room such that a user needs to angle the legs while on the throne, and the bathroom is not as roomy.

It has a narrow bed that is a bit on the short side.

Being a non-spoort, it has windows that fully open out and a rear bumper.

The 22 sport (which we have) has a larger bed at 54 wide, so markedly winder than the 22.

It has the bathroom in the back with enough room in it to towel off and get dressed in privacy. It has a window that opens in the bathroom.

The dinette has a a curbside window, so not quite the same view as the 19. The 22 has better kitchen counter space. The 22 does not offer an oven, only a fancy microwave with the 2 burner gas cooktop.

I am not sure, but I think the 22 has a larger closet.

These are pretty substantial differences, so I think it is important to really understand them.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote