Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
I have seen photos of the hitch reinforcement on this site. I am not even sure it is safe. What would happen if (when not towing), you get rear ended? Wouldn't that extra support bar stick out of the passenger seat?
In a word, no. The force of impact would have to be large enough that deformation of the vehicle by the hitch reinforment would be the least of your worries.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Bob, didn't you replace your factory Suburban hitch receiver with an after-market receiver to strengthen the vehicles capability? I think most of us have made changes to have a better tow vehicle. I believe his Land Rover is rated to tow the Airstream in question. He's asking about setting up his hitch.
Again,

I was NOT referring to the LRD discussion....

snip......"Here we go this thread just turned into another CAN-AM groupie rant. If the factory doesn't recomend then I would find a TV that can handle what you want to do instead of doing unsafe and not recommended mods to try to tow with something."

....."As usual, you seem to be the only one here who is ranting. Your hatred for all things Can-Am have been pretty noticeable throughout your posts and is getting tiresome. Don't like other people's towing options, then don't participate in the discussion. Especially if you can't do it in a civil manner."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's the fun we have discussing CA's modus operandi that gets a little tedious after awhile.

....oh, and yes I did replace the 'Burb's receiver. I found one that's much more compatible with the very substantial frame it's attached to.
Guilty as stink....blink

Bob
Old 10-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
It'll be interesting to see what the OP chooses to do and what his experiences towing with his Land Rover will be like. I hope he'll choose to share them here for others to learn.

If the argument that one cannot legitimately improve the performance of a stock vehicle through aftermarket modifications would be in any way valid, 80% of all motor-sport events would have to close down tomorrow, including all Touring Car Championships and even, to a degree, NASCAR.

We all modify, and improve the performance of our vehicles the second we install towing mirrors and a brake controller. A braced hitch is no different.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Looked around, FWIW here are the 2003 LRD specs

Either the specs change wildly when the air suspension is used, or my brother had no idea what the payload capacity is.

Tow capacity is higher than I expected, too.

Must be a bit costly to run though, given the 12 -16 mpg (NOT towing) it needs and Hi-test gas at that.

But I have to admit that I like the cut of its jib; I find it an attractive vehicle, for whatever that is worth.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2003 Land Rover Discovery specs.pdf (255.2 KB, 76 views)
Old 10-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Yes, they're not known for their frugality regarding fuel. The military models have dual fuel tanks underneath the front seats, with dual inlets. It's fun to see other motorists' faces when filling up from two pumps at the same time, but on different sides of the vehicle.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #26
Tom and Phyllis

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
The Airstream I getting, the 23 ft FB Flying Cloud, is being purchased from an individual and he is including a load distributing hitch. I just do not know what kind it is. I am interested to see how it tows with and without the LD hitch. I looked at the Hensley website. I am trying to get my head around how the mechanics of that hitch works. I have not checked out the ProPride yet. By the way, what is a CAN-AM groupie? I guess I'm not one if I do not know what one is!!!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
CanAm is a highly respected and/or controversial RV and Airstream dealership in London, Ontario. Andrew Thomson, one of the owners and son of the man who started the business is, depending on your point of view:

a: One of the leading authorities* in all matters related to towing in North America with over 40 years experience setting up safe, reliable rigs that don't always involve trucks and other body-on-frame vehicles.

OR

b: A charlatan responsible for littering our streets with overloaded, over-stressed and unsafe tow combinations that are illegal, immoral and irresponsible.

Those in camp A are sometimes called CanAm groupies by those camp B.

* AT is an advisor to Airstream and works with the Institute of Automotive engineers.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
, Ohio
Do you still wanna be an Airstreamer after reading all these posts?

Before you go out and spend a lot more money on a tow vehicle, I would try it and see firsthand how it handles. Unless someone here has your exact configuration, there is really no way to know for sure. And yes, the coil springs will make a big difference- been there. I've been considering that type of set-up myself, but may go with another Range Rover- still haven't decided. But then, I must surely be crazy.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
If the argument that one cannot legitimately improve the performance of a stock vehicle through aftermarket modifications would be in any way valid, 80% of all motor-sport events would have to close down tomorrow, including all Touring Car Championships and even, to a degree, NASCAR..
Motor sports events take place in closed circuits, not in public roads.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Look at Hensley or ProPride hitches which move the effective pivot point forward. The innovative linkage system keeps the trailer from moving out of straight alignment with truck, while the weight distribution bars equalize the weight to the axles.

I would think Land Rover does not want you to use a w.d. hitch because the hitch attachment points are too weak to support the lifting action of the w.d. bars. Some have reinforced this area by welding a support brace from the receiver forward to the frame to resist the vertical twisting. Can-Am Airstream in Canada does his sort of thing regularly, give them a call for a recommendation based on experience.
At the risk of inflaming some members of the forum, Doug is right about Can Am. I came across this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ue-101575.html

From what's written, one would suppose that Andrew T has some experience with Land Rovers. If the OP is after some advice then he could do worse than put in a call to London, Ontario.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #31
Rivet Master

We have had 3 Land Rovers thru the last 15 years. 1999 Range Rover we towed four down behind a Class A, 2003 Disco we towed our '67 Globe Trotter, and dragged behind the bus, and a 2001 Disco we towed. I love the Disco, and for towing the GT we did in fact use an Equalizer brand equalizing hitch. Rover performed well towing the 4000 lbs loaded GT all over Colorado getting 11-14 mpg. (Our restoration of the GT added weight over what factory weight was )
If you have been towing a travel trailer already with your '03 Disco and aren't exceeding tow rating with an Airstream, I would think you'll have same/similar experience you have with your Yukon trailer
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Old 10-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Motor sports events take place in closed circuits, not in public roads.
That's correct, but that does not change the principle that aftermarket modifications can indeed change and improve the capabilities of stock vehicles and do so safely. Racing drivers do not wish to die either and safety standards in racing are rigorous.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Forget motor sports, high school boys modify their cars beyond spec all the time. None of them are driving on closed courses and still manage to get insurance!
Old 10-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #34
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Speaking of closed courses.....sure don't take much to get you all off-course.

Bob
Old 10-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Speaking of closed courses.....sure don't take much to get you all off-course.

Bob

I don't know about you, but I do appreciate these slightly off-topic meanderings.

I use a variety of forums for learning - specifically those dealing with web design, programming and videography - and I often learn the most from threads that are somewhat contentious, where opinions clash. There's nothing wrong with spirited discussion in my book, for as long as it is done respectfully.

It's interesting to me to be informed of both sides of the coin, that way I can best decide on what works for me.

I also think that it is possible to disagree on a subject without personal animosity.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #36
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post

I also think that it is possible to disagree on a subject without personal animosity. For example, you could not pay me enough to ride in a Suburban - I consider it a fundamentally flawed vehicle - yet I'd still love to have a beer, should we meet one day.
Andy,

That will make us even....'cuz an Odyssey is just a myth 'ta me.
Not fundamentally, completely.
Have a cool one.

Bob
Old 11-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #37
Tom and Phyllis

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
Maiden voyage of my new ('09) 23ft FB Flying Cloud

I took ownership of the 2009 Flying Cloud Tuesday, 29 Oct and now I have 'flown' it down to the state campground in Gulf Shores, Alabama. It was a mostly night-time trip but the roads I chose were mostly limited access.
When I first hooked up to the camper at home, I wanted to see how well the suspension of the LR held up. I found out I could make short trips but I saw the rising of the front end and the squatting of the rear of the TV. When I switched to the Valley LD hitch which came with the camper I was able to level out both pretty well. This camper being higher, wider, and longer, and a lot more expensive, I was a little anxious about the first trip. As the miles behind me became greater than the miles in front I began to feel a little more comfortable. Pulling in around 11:00 PM the set-up was a breeze, however I did not disconnect from the TV until this morning; stabilizers, water line, sewer line, and electric and we were hitting the sack. (plus shower)
Buying from an individual is different than dealer. I found out the previous owner had not removed and cleaned behind the smoked bug screens from the curved windows on front corners. Other than a general cleaning there does not seem to anything I need to do other than use it!
The previous owner had replaced the factory 19 inch TV and installed a 32 inch Samsung which will swivel so it can be viewed wherever you are in the camper. Because of the weight of this 32 inch TV he built a little shelf on the wall below the TV. The large TV has to be rotated and placed on the shelf and strapped down to travel. The main downside is it interferes with walking around the bed! The 32" TV will probably be replaced with one more the size of the original. Have some of you down what he did? We were looking forward to be able to get out of bed and go to the bathroom in the middle of the night with climbing over the person sleeping on the outside. There were times tho this act in the old camper became very interesting!! If some of you feel you have met both desires, a nice size screen and yet the ability to walk around the foot of the bed, please let me know.
The one question I have. . . How can you tell when you have the sway bar adjusted properly? Is this mainly trial and error?
Old 11-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #38
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

"How can you tell when you have the sway bar adjusted properly? Is this mainly trial and error?"

A trip to the scales, or a tape measure.

Bob
Old 11-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I check our weight distribution adjustment every time I hook up with our Propride hitch.

First I measure the truck front and year wheel wells of the truck and note the height of each. Then I hitch up to the trailer and measure again, adjusting the w.d. bars so the drop is equal on froth and rear wheel wells. Then I check to ensure the trailer is still very near level front to rear.

It is often hard to do this at many campgrounds where the ground is not level, so we hitch up as close as possible, then measure when we get to level ground.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 11-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #40
Tom and Phyllis

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
Now that I have returned from my maiden voyage with my 23FB Flying Cloud, I can tell you this is the way to go! My trip length was 277 mi each way. My fuel economy going down was 11 MPG even with tire pressure a little low 32 on all four. Before I hooked up to come back I brought the tire pressure up to the recommended which averaged about 10 more pounds per tire. I was driving into a strong wind for part of my return trip and still got 10 MPG.
People on this forum and also in the campground know very little about this sweet little truck. I even had one man at the campground ask me if it was a four cylinder! This truck can and has forded rivers so deep the headlights were almost completely under water and at when the urgency is present it can cruise at 80-90 with a solid feel of the road. The very stiff coil suspension and the 18 inch Yokohoma tires are reason if I needed to I could use this TV without a load distributing hitch. I admit there is somewhat of a squat without the LD stuff. The Airstream Flying Cloud got a lot of attention at the Gulf Shores campground. For a short time there were four Airstreams parked there. I enjoy this forum and the feedback and the sharing it provides.
Closed Thread