Old 03-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Ok so an A/B HDMI switcher and mounted directly on top of the blue ray player and I'm dialed in.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I would think you only need the switch if your television only has a single HDMI port. Many now have at least two, so you may not need the switch.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Riverview , Florida
My TV has two HDMI ports but I wanted to mount the AppleTV in the front cabinet with the DVD player. The A/B switch prevents the need from running a second HDMI cable from the front cabinet to the TV and allows me to share the one that is already routed through the walls from the factory.

Another option is to mount the AppleTV on the back of the TV and use the 2nd HDMI port. There are some neat brackets sold on Amazon that help simplify this. A duplexer for the AC outlet might be needed, too. The one near my TV looks like it has two live outlets in it but there's really just one.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I totally understand what you are saying. My goal is always simplicity so I'll opt for the A/B switcher instead of a longer cable run. I'm assuming I can find the A/B switcher at Radio Shack?
Old 03-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonanea View Post
My TV has two HDMI ports but I wanted to mount the AppleTV in the front cabinet with the DVD player. The A/B switch prevents the need from running a second HDMI cable from the front cabinet to the TV and allows me to share the one that is already routed through the walls from the factory.

Another option is to mount the AppleTV on the back of the TV and use the 2nd HDMI port. There are some neat brackets sold on Amazon that help simplify this. A duplexer for the AC outlet might be needed, too. The one near my TV looks like it has two live outlets in it but there's really just one.
Ah, I understand the need now. Thanks for the explanation.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Riverview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionelc1 View Post
I totally understand what you are saying. My goal is always simplicity so I'll opt for the A/B switcher instead of a longer cable run. I'm assuming I can find the A/B switcher at Radio Shack?
Well, I'm not so sure about getting one a Radio Shack. They might have one. I know you'll be able to find one at Amazon.

Lake Oswego. . . I did some consulting there with Portland Community College last year. It was absolutely beautiful in April for the 3 weeks I was there. Everything -- and I mean everything -- was blooming. I was ready to move!
Old 03-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I too decided to move to Oregon after an April visit. No one told me about Nov thru Mar! Summers are absolutely magnificent :-). Thank u for your help. See u on the road.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Blaine‎ , Blaine‎ WA‎
Quote:
If I had a movie already downloaded on my iPad, could I then view it thru the Apple TV via blue-tooth or does Airplay only function over wifi?
There is a new update today (6.1) that is supposed to let you airplay with blue-tooth only so you don't need wifi to stream from your ipad. I'm at work so I have not tried it yet.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Awesome. Thanks for the info Kerry Blue.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
The AppleTV will need some sort of WiFi signal to stream from either it's own channel line-up or via airplay from an iPhone, iPad or Mac.

It will NOT stream through bluetooth. Bluetooth does not have enough bandwidth for this. The latest software update for the AppleTV (6.1) allows for "discovery" via bluetooth but not streaming.

I own a couple of AppleTVs and have used them since they first came out. But I do not have on on my AS. I find it easier to simply connect my iPad or iPhone directly to the TV using a short HDMI cable and the appropriate HDMI adapter for the device from Apple.

To me having to have a permanent WiFi network inside my AS is too much of a hassle, and I am saying this as a former network engineer. That is unless you already have one for other purposes such as those provided by a WiFi Ranger or similar solutions.

-J

Quote:
Thanks for the info. One other question, do you always need wifi to play content from a nearby iPad or will it play via Bluetooth?
Old 03-14-2014, 01:34 AM   #39
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I could be wrong about this but it now seems as though Apple saves the movies that you have purchased so it is no longer necessary to have iTunes connected to your TV. I was wondering if having an AppleTV in the trailer might still be an advantage? You still of course would still need a WiFi connection.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:23 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
The first generation AppleTV had a built-in hard drive and you would "sync" the movies and other media to it like you do with an iPod. However the second and third generation AppleTVs no longer have hard drives and have a limited amount of solid state memory that is used to buffer the movie you are watching no matter where it comes from, but for all intents and purposes the AppleTV is a streaming device.

You do not need to have iTunes connected to the TV, you can simply stream content from Netflix, Apple, Hulu, PBS, NBA, and many more sources.

This is the reason that despite having a couple of AppleTVs at home which I use every day (I don't have cable nor sate little TV) I don't have one in my AS, as the AppleTV needs to stream all of it's content whether that is from remote systems like Netflix, from a local iTunes library sitting on a laptop, or from an iPad or iPhone using AirPlay.

Hope that helps.

-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
I could be wrong about this but it now seems as though Apple saves the movies that you have purchased so it is no longer necessary to have iTunes connected to your TV. I was wondering if having an AppleTV in the trailer might still be an advantage? You still of course would still need a WiFi connection.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:49 PM   #41
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Thanks for more info.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #42
Peapod

1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
We use Apple TV, and we create a wi-fi network inside the Airstream with our Verizon Jetpack.

I bought a Wilson 4G/LTE signal boost cradle and mounted it just above the stereo in our 30' Flying Cloud. The cable runs through the Airstream to the roof (yep, new hole, drilled and sealed) where the antenna is permanently mounted.

I put the Jetpack in the cradle, and I almost always get a FULL four bars of signal, even when I'm camping in the Dakotas for hunting.

Works GREAT!

Hibby - an earlier post commented that streaming from their ipad to apple tv does not use plan data - if you are doing this as well, do you agree that is correct?

We are trying to figure all of this out and come up with the best solution. Do not want to carry a library of dvds with us, and want to be able to get news and email and most important have reliable phone signal.

We have Verizon, are loaded up with Apple products, are moderate internet users, have been greatly frustrated by lack of signal in places that were not remotely remote! Would appreciate any further suggestions in non-techy language.