Old 07-24-2016, 12:04 AM   #1135
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Thanks for pointing this out Bob. I'll have to try it later today. I was wondering the same thing for awhile now.
On another note, the door under the bathroom sink has been a problem for us for a few years now and the small apparently sheet metal screws keep falling out as well as the door kept falling out onto the floor. When in June Lake recently, I came across a well stocked hardware store and bought real wood screws. I installed them before coming home to give it a good test and wouldn't you know, solid as can be and no more door on the floor of the bathroom!
I'm getting the Airstream ready for another month at Yosemite doing volunteer work, leaving next Sunday. I always look forward to it. Hope everyone is having a great summer, enjoying life in your own way.
Jose have a great time. I have many fond memories of the Yosemite back country. You're lucky, making a contribution in your volunteer work in one of the most beautiful locations in America.

Have a great time and happy trails.

Bob

p.s. Great repair. I've always questioned the use of sheet metal screws for everything.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #1136
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Hello again all! Buying a house, moving in, starting a new job, and getting everything set up has kept me off the Internet for awhile so I'll break this up into multiple posts. First I'll start with upgrade performance.

First, the Progressive Dynamics PD4655 noise issue. The buzzing noise was present on the second (remanufactured) unit for a day or so and has since gone away. It returns occasionally but the only thing I can see as a correlation is when it goes to 14.4v to rapidly charge up to 90%. I'm debating whether to give PD a call and see if I can't get into a third unit.

The 6v golf cart (GC) batteries are working great. We've done quite a bit of boon docking since we arrived in Alaska and they seem to have no issue keeping up. We've watched TV, cooked dinner, used lights, used the water pump, used the electric hitch jack and had no issues. I'm glad the other batteries boiled over in Seattle which reminds me I need to go check fluid levels.

The 16'' Sendel wheels with Michelin LTX M/S2 tires worked well. Not one issue, knock on wood, and they seem to be holding their pressure well.

We picked up some stick on window frosting for the bathroom portholes but I have yet to install it.

James

Old 07-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #1137
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
On to the fun stuff, pictures!

Cedar Point, OH. Campground was ~$85/night, the most expensive one we stayed at the whole month, but it was well worth it to get up and ride all the roller coasters on our schedule. The Fast Pass was an excellent splurge!

Warren, OH. Stopped at my parents house because Ohio is on the way to Alaska from Oklahoma!

Jackson Center, OH. I figured since Chinook saw the hospital where I was born I might as well see her birthplace. Keep in mind the factory closes earlier than you think (not 5:00 PM)

Mirror Lake State Park, WI. Our first non-full hookups experience. Electric only but the dump stations were brand new. Price wasn't terrible (~$35 dollars with a $10 day use parking pass). The dump station was brand new for 2016 and it really showed in a great setup.

Missolua, MT. My wife attended University of Montana so we stopped in her college town and hiked the "M." Chinook is in the lower left hand corner of the shot.

Williams Lake, British Columbia (BC). Starting to use the Milepost (a great tool for traveling the ALCAN) and found this campground Full hookups and a great view to boot. Took the picture to show our friend, who made the wooden Chinook plaque, it's final resting place.

Dawson Creek, BC. My wife and I were tired so we let the dog drive! Only a couple thousand more miles at this point!

Racing River, border of Yukon and BC. This was the most nerve racking "campground." There were jettys, built for camping, out into the river and this was JUUUUST big enough to do a 10 point turn. What you can't see from the pictures is the 15 foot drop on all sides into the river. The wife and I did this VEEEERY slowly!
Old 07-24-2016, 12:35 PM   #1138
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Whitehorse, Yukon. Stopped here overnight to rest, recharge, and visit the Yukon Brewing Company! My wife is a good sport and Geocaches with me...sometimes in the rain!

On the ALCAN, Yukon. Luckily, this guy didn't think Chinook looked tasty.

Final Stats from the trip (for those planning a similar trip):

Route: Oklahoma City Oklahoma to Warren Ohio to Anchorage AK.
Details: Spent 32 nights on the road. Stayed for 6 days in Warren, Ohio. Six days in Seattle, WA (mooch docking) 20 days on the road.

Miles: ~6,000
Fuel: $1,780
Lodging: $684
Tolls: $70
Total Trip Cost: ~$2,500 (didn't keep track of food costs but we ate most meals in the Chinook or in the truck)
Airstreams seen in the wild: ~10 (only two on the ALCAN)

If anyone has any questions please fire away and I'll answer as best I can!

James
Old 07-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #1139
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
This wasn't on the trip but it was our first run in with wildlife in Alaska. Second night at the campground on Fort Richardson (Full hookups for $30/night! but have to be in the military or retired to use it). I was having dinner with some old friends and my wife walked to the laundry facilities to check them out. She was gone not more than 5 minutes and when she rounds the corner she hears our dog barking like crazy. Then this...

While the picture is a bit tough to see it's a sow black bear and two cubs. The two cubs were underneath Chinook and the Mom was investigating the door...

The paw print was just to the left and down from the door handle. Luckily, her claws stayed in and my wife shut the outer door and not just the screen door. Welcome back to Alaska!
Old 07-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #1140
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
One issue did come up on the ALCAN (other than a bunch of dings on the driver side front guard and a bunch of tar on the left.

The water line into the toilet started a slow leak but is only sporadic. Has anyone experienced this and how did you fix it? There isn't much room to work back there...
Old 07-24-2016, 01:38 PM   #1141
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldosgone View Post
One issue did come up on the ALCAN (other than a bunch of dings on the driver side front guard and a bunch of tar on the left.

The water line into the toilet started a slow leak but is only sporadic. Has anyone experienced this and how did you fix it? There isn't much room to work back there...
Thanks, James, for the great reports and photos! Glad you reached Alaska without many troubles along the way.

Starting with the above, where did you notice the leak, and did you have to remove the aluminum cover over the plumbing in the back right corner as you stand at the toilet? See Post #839 here for photos of this area in our 2014. Maybe yours is different? No problems that we have seen here.

Did the 6v batteries fit in the OEM battery box, and could you please ID the brand/model/cost when you have time. Lead/acid or AGM? Maybe your 2015 box is larger/taller than ours? Are you planning on getting solar at some point, and will the 6v batteries fit in that scheme is one question we have for upgrading converter/batteries/solar.

I forget if you have a generator, but FYI our new Yamaha tri-fuel 1000 watt gen has worked out great per Post #1005 here. Not sure if this is big enough for you with the new PD4655 converter, though, as jpons suggested in Post #915.

Hope your move to Alaska works out well!

Thanks again for the updates,

Peter
Old 07-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #1142
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
PS -- missed Edit time window.

Check out jpons' Post #958 for plumbing in toilet area, as part of his composting toilet installation.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #1143
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Love the pictures, thanks for sharing. Assume you tightened the nut behind the toilet?
Old 07-24-2016, 07:00 PM   #1144
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
James, good to hear from you. I was wondering how the trip was going. Great pics and a good visual for anyone thinking of Alaska. Can't wait to show them to my wife. Thanks too for the trip details...all good info.

Not sure where your leak is...at the toilet connection, at the angle stop?

Bob

p.s. when you have time, any info re box mods needed for the 2 6v's is appreciated. I heard the 2016's box was deeper but hadn't heard the same fr the 2015's
Old 07-25-2016, 01:52 AM   #1145
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
The 6v batteries didn't fit in the stock 2015 box; as I was on the road I had Torklift Central in Kent, WA do it. After talking with them about raising vs lowering the cost was going to be the same so I had them drop the bottom of the box two inches. Ground clearance was my primary concern but the spare tire holder sits lower than the battery box so I think it looks more clean.

The batteries are from Costco. Interstate GC2, item #850284. Price was ~$160 for the pair with the core trade in for the two boiled stock Group24s. Comes with a two year trade in warranty so I couldn't justify the price difference between that and the Trojans.

I don't have a generator yet, or plan to get solar. Solar in Alaska would be a crapshoot as most of our preferred campsites are under pretty good canopy. We are considering a generator, converted with the GenConnex Kit, to run on propane. Looking at Honda eu2000i specifically... The only thing that concerns me about the GenConnex Kit is that you remove most of the "guts" to run on gasoline but the kit is very clean.

As far as propane usage we're still on the dealer tanks of propane. We've spent ~45 nights in it since purchasing Chinook in early April of this year. Most of our nights were spent in a campground with electric so we ran the heat pump vs the furnace. I'm planning on filling the propane tanks when I dump the black tanks from our fishing trip this weekend (caught 50 red salmon and two flounders).
Old 07-25-2016, 02:57 AM   #1146
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks James. One of your propane tanks should run out before the other, I assume you know. You can check which one by the arrow on the regulator knob, pointing to the active tank. Turn off the other tank manually, and see if you can light a burner on the cooktop. If the first tank is empty, turn the regulator knob 180, and the other tank should have some propane left, but you can check this one too manually.

May I recommend that you use up the propane tank-by-tank, and manually turn the arrow knob to keep track of which tank is active? This way you keep better track of your usage. We keep a log of propane refills, in fact I have the same old log from the 90's and it is interesting to look over the list of refill locations and costs. $19 then vs. $34 now!

Some folks actually turn off one propane tank, and use up the other, as a way of tracking usage. In winter of course this might require getting up in the middle of the night to get the furnace and fridge to work.

One thing to watch for -- some posters have reported that the propane regulator does not switch tanks reliably, and that the the little red marker that shows through the window does not always work right. These potential problems certainly recommend turning off one tank manually until the system operation becomes perfectly clear and predictable.

Thanks for the feedback on the batteries. Yes, your solution to lower the box makes sense, and keeps the new work (and possible rusty areas later) less visible etc.. Our batteries seem to be performing well, so we will cross this bridge when it comes over the horizon.

On the gen, the GenConnex conversion is more elegant, but the affect on Honda's warranty is one thing to be considered, as you have probably read. [Edit -- vs. Yamaha] Will post links if you want.

Thanks again for the infomation!

Peter
Old 07-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #1147
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I honestly have not tried out the speakers. I have the TV set to send the sound back to the radio for better sound, so I have not even tried the speakers on the TV itself.

The TV and the mount on the AS should both be VESA compatible, so you should not have any issues, except for the screws themselves. My TV did not come with any and the old Samsung TV came with screws that where too long. So I had to find replacement screws, not a biggie.

My TV came with the 12v plug, I was not sure if that was going to be the case so I ordered one as well (I think it cost me $3). So now I have a spare one I am not sure what to do with. But for $3 it was good insurance.

Juan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
J thanks. Yes...I've been looking around online today both dual/ straight 110V as well as LED/LCD. Also an education too.

I finally noticed at your link, it opted for the either the HDTV or HDTV+DVD. I was focused on the screen size options and went straight to the reviews...totally missed the DVD option...duh. We're thinking for the bedroom the 19 may be a better fit. I think this week I'll pull out the stereo a few inches to inspect the birds nest as it would, be nice to have a 12V on the TV side of the wall. You're right about the weight too. That model and the LED style....like adding another pillow to the tongue weight.

About the only neg on the reviews was the sound/speakers. The 20's are pretty small and I'm thinking it may be NA for this application.

I wasn't looking closely at the swing arm but didn't notice on similar to our OEM with the release pin. I'll look at he on in the trailer for the mf'r and poke around the net.

Looks like the 12v power cord adapter for the cig lighter comes with it too.

Thanks for the link and feedback.

bob
Old 07-25-2016, 10:44 PM   #1148
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldosgone View Post
The 6v batteries didn't fit in the stock 2015 box; as I was on the road I had Torklift Central in Kent, WA do it. After talking with them about raising vs lowering the cost was going to be the same so I had them drop the bottom of the box two inches. Ground clearance was my primary concern but the spare tire holder sits lower than the battery box so I think it looks more clean.

The batteries are from Costco. Interstate GC2, item #850284. Price was ~$160 for the pair with the core trade in for the two boiled stock Group24s. Comes with a two year trade in warranty so I couldn't justify the price difference between that and the Trojans.

I'm planning on filling the propane tanks when I dump the black tanks from our fishing trip this weekend (caught 50 red salmon and two flounders).
James

Thanks or the box info. I think I'm headed there too. I figure I can cut the bottom out of the existing and have a box made to just harely slip up the inside of the old box . If I start with 6" high sides, then I can adjust the level simply by removing some screws in the sides and adjusting the box up/down. I'm doing it this winter as I expect our batts aren't in the greatest shape and I want to be able to do a quick swap when to do head south...the box being ready to go.

Bob