Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Go gett'um dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you're asking the question, you are probably healthy enough--besides, desire overcomes a lot of obstacles. I hope to still be at it when I'm 80+.

nohillgrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Airstreaming is my love and passion combined with fly fishing

I think everyone needs - something - that puts spring in your step. Something to look forward to; no matter what age you are. I believe having something to focus on at any age is key.

I am planning the next season it's a wonderful adventure...

This years adventure is the Adirondacks - fly fishing with the dog.

I say go for it....Safe travels...and don't look back....

Life Is Not A Dress Rehersal
It's okay to have too much fun
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Id say GO FOR IT also. If its just you,find a Bambi or something small,so you can use a smaller tow vehicle. Im 71 and like some others here have said,"I'd like to get at least 10 more yrs out of our airstream. There are lots of us old timers out here and lots and lots of younger people that would be thrilled to have the change to help you hookup and help in your education. Its a learning curve and you need never to stop learning. Keeps ya young and active even at 80. Just an oldman's thoughts GO FOR IT
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Holy smokes! You folks act like when you hit 40 or 50 or something, life is over. Phooey on that! I'm over 60, and I think I'm pretty YOUNG! I'm not sure I'll be able to or wanting to, use my A/S 40 years from now, but I do expect to use it for several decades! I never give my age a thought ... 'course somtimes the next morning I've got a new ache or pain I didnt' have the day before and wouldn't have had when I was 25, but so what? Hitch 'er up!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
You folks act like when you hit 40 or 50 or something, life is over. Phooey on that!
Just re-read all the comments, and everybody's saying "go for it". Am I missing something?
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Your post got me in a wonderful mood. Good for you ! Get out there and enjoy life. Airstreaming is a blast!
LisaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
My favorite story is when T.V. host Johnny Carson had a 104 year old man on his "Late Night" show who had just bought a motorhome and was planning on touring the lower 48 states!

The man had outlived 2 wives and currently had a third (who was 69!). Johnny said "it's always nice to have companionship", to which the 104 year old smirked and said "yeah, that too!". Johnny laughed and asked him "aren't you worried about a heart attack when you are... you know... romantic?". The fellow replied with a straight face " Well, if it kills her, it kills her."

I think he sets the bar pretty high. I suggest we all try to match his spunk!

Every home needs a dog, and every dog needs a home.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member
1969 27' Overlander
Ehrhardt , South Carolina
Hi Folks
I have been solo now for a couple years and traveled several thousand miles in my 27 foot overlander and enjoyed everymile. If you have an older unit just besure to have the unit serviced, especially wheel bearings, tire inflation, hitch system.
I try to stay in state park camp grounds and found them to be very safe and well kept. Plan you trip by finding interests you would enjoy and then find a state park or national parkcamp ground near-by. If you dont have a computer to find these, just stop at a visitor center when you enter a state and ask for info. The attendents have always been very helpful . Oh by the way I am 72 Monday.
oldcar29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:47 AM   #23
WBCCI 8562
1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
HI, 74 here, just gave in and sold my 1973 Amerigo Truck camper with manual jack. Take my Sovereign on numerous trips, just did a week in Quartzsite, and planning several trips for this spring. My wife works so when the HEAT hits AZ I head for the hills during the week. Next trip will be a short one to check out new brakes and tires.
Jim in Pima Az, enjoying our 1975 31 ft Airstream Sovereign
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #24
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
Just re-read all the comments, and everybody's saying "go for it". Am I missing something?
I think that pretty much everyone IS saying "Go for it!" and I'm heartened by that, 'cause I think it's the right answer ... but there are a lot of these sorts of comments:

"get out on the road and if it doesn't work for you, at least you tried!"

"find a Bambi or something small,so you can use a smaller tow vehicle"

"A 250 mile day would be a "long" day - and I never go over 100 miles without getting out and taking a break."

"If you have never towed before, get yourself something like a B-Van setup"

"Find out whether it's beyond you or not before you invest if you can."

"Get a physical and ask your doctor."

I suppose that these are all sensible, and indeed helpful comments ... but my ear hears them as sort of reticent. My personal attitude is simpler and a lot less nuanced - like the Nike people used to say in their ads, "Just Do It!"

I was over 60 when I got back into motorcycilng and bought a bike I could handle, but which will go 0-60 in 4.2 secs. and I determined one day out in Colorado that it IS, as the mfr. says, computer limited to 132 mph. I solo backpack, hunt, fish, fly light planes, and last month had a day where I towed my A/S 850 miles. So I'm not willing to concede ANYTHING age except absolute physical limitations.

If you can succeed at the activities of daily living and you can safely drive a car (mostly not an age-related thing but an attitude thing), then you can 'Stream away! So, get out there and have fun!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Hey Zeke,

A couple of years ago I met a spunky octogenarian couple from Utah at the Grand Tetons. They scaled down from a big motor home to a smaller van about the size of an Airstream Westfaila. Big enough so you are not tripping all over yourself and don't get cabin fever, but small enough to easily drive and set up may be worth a looksee.

Hope I have your get up and go at 80. Go for it, what have you got to loose except getting older sitting on a rocking chair on the front porch watching the Airstreams roll by. And, don't forget to stop in and see me. We can talk about the chicks.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member
1975 27' Overlander
Austin , Texas
This post tickles me. As I'm preparing to solo/full-time, I'm finding my age makes me stick out like a sore thumb (at 36, almost)- I think you'll find more people closer to your age than mine. My current neighbor is 78, on his 4th RV, and so jealous of my AS he's considering trading up.

By the way, I too am getting the nuances. The very same ones. Go smaller so you can use a smaller tow vehicle, if it doesn't work at least you can say you did it, make sure to carry every blooming thing you might possibly need, and have you ever towed before? I'm half your age. Go figure. I think, more than age, people get a little freaked out if you want to live life and do exciting things by yourself. Most people aren't solitary and can't comprehend it. Me- I enjoy company, and I enjoy my own company most of all, thank goodness. I'd love to be doing this with someone. But that person isn't here and my life is too short to wait for someone to hold my hand. So is yours! Get out there! Buy as big a rig as you want! Go where you want!
I'll hope to run into you and we can compare solo notes.
TrailerVamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #27
Hawkeyes & Harleys
2006 16' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
He__(ck) yes!! I'm 72 and just returned from a 800 mile round trip motorcycle rally and plan to be in my AS well into my 80's (to include motorcycle rallys). I also plan to continue to chase women - I may not be able to catch them, but if I do, I still know what to do with them.
HOG-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Centrally Located , Wish you were here!
Perhaps the gentleman at Alumapalooza 2010 - he who just bought his first new Airstream at 87 years could chime in now?

Goin' Vintage!
Byams55FlyCl is offline   Reply With Quote