Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > PanAmerica > PanAmerica - all model years
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
Bikes are loaded in Airstream Panamerica fit nice

Have 3 bikes and gear loaded and one bike in back of truck ready for fun weekend away from snow. I found out limit is 1500 pounds and nobody responded to my first post about frame being reenforced, hoping I am not overloaded. Bike and gear should weigh about 1000-1200 pounds in back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1689
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	184233  
Pedecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I would think a query to Airstream would answer your question.

Now, on hitch rigging, there is nothing worse than a tail-heavy trailer. So tongue weight and proper distribution of that load across the truck and trailer axles is vital.

A separate TW reading on the scale would also be good, both with and without the bikes. A TW of 12.5-15% would be my target. That may involve moving the bikes forward, backward or turning them around.

The final step would be in weighing each wheel position to be certain no side-to-side imbalances (with WD applied) and a sufficient load reserve on the tires is maintained (15%).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Ya, know....when I saw the title, I thought bicycles....and I thought...he better be talkin' motorbikes in that honkin' really nice toy hauler! Then I opened up the thread.....Yup!!!!!!

Sweet!

BTW, I do remember your question about frames and loads. Just stay within the AS numbers and you'll be fine. The frame issues (with a few exceptions with small units a few years ago, particularly outrigger failures) were a long time ago. The newer long units with the 5" fully boxed frames are pretty robust. I don't worry about mine at all....but I mind my numbers. I am sure there is even more provision in the PanAm.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
I just saw your post. My PA's prior owner, loaded his cycles in the same manner as you've done. The closer you have them over the tri-axle the better. As suggested, call the factory (I assume that you may not have the factory owner manuals). If not, they can be downloaded from the factory website; Chirs Burge, service manager, should be able to assist you. Be cautious of high-angled driveway, etc., as your PA will "bottom-out" on steep inclines. I added rollers to the rear frame that are reinforced with a bar welded BETWEEN them to help prevent any bending to the left or right of the frame.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
PedeCanada..

If you can, joins us at our Spring WBCCI rally north of Loydminster. We are also having a fall rally in Moosejaw on the September Long weekend, you are more than welcome.. I'd love to check out your Panamerican..

Airstream Forums - Alberta-Saskatchewan Spring Buddy Rally

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
First trip with trailer went great everything worked on trailer and riding was fun. The trailer pulled like my 20 foot enclosed loaded with 4 bikes and gear. The back garage work great for second bedroom and change room for bike gear it got dirty but front was nice and clean. I am very happy with design and appreciate this trailer more now after using it. I did not miss not having a slide at all. I can not believe how many people came over to talk and were friendly at riding staging area. I am fairly sure it had something to do with trailer. Boerrama I will check are summer schedule and see if we can fit in a weekend, Moose Jaw is only a little over a hour away
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	2219
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	184596  
Old 04-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
The trailer does have two rollers at rear which are welded to frame but no cross bar which is a great idea, they do get used since back is so low I found out.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	678
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	184597  
Old 04-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
The trailer does have two rollers at rear which are welded to frame but no cross bar which is a great idea, they do get used since back is so low I found out.