Old 09-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Congratulations on a great find!

Hi Joe:

Congratulations on acquiring one of the ATW trailers! It could not have ended up in any better hands. Take your time and enjoy the preservation and making-functional process. We'll all be watching and enjoying your project along with you.

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Here are the only two photos I currently have clearly showing #6768 on the Around the World Caravan. The first is in Bangkok, Thailand and the second is at the Kremlin in Moscow. I inserted a closeup on #6768 in the upper right corner of both photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6768 in Bangkok.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	139569   Click image for larger version

Name:	6768 at Kremlin.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	139570  

WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Awesome Joe! Nice to finally see some pictures, you sounded like you were going to explode with your excitement when we spoke...Fred's right, it could not have ended up in any better hands. Can't wait to watch you bring it back to life and read all about it both here and in the VA...enjoy the journey ~

Post some interior shots when you get a chance...no more holding out on us!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Thank from all us who cannot preserve the past. Someone must SAVE THE PAST to keep THE PRESENT FROM DESTROYING IT. If this happens then the future is less appealing. jim
Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Wow! Glad you got it. You are very fortunate, and so is this Airstream.

Dan
Old 09-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Update 1: Lorrie and I have never named any of our previous Airstreams, but this one, #6768, called out to Lorrie. She gave it a name almost as soon as I got it home. It is now known as "Cramer" in honor of the first owners and ATW Caravan participants Raplh and Geraldine Cramer. I now tend to use "Cramer" in casual conversation, but seem to want to call it by it's number when typing here on the forums.

Update 2: Today was the real first day attempting to work on #6768 (a.k.a. Cramer). We pulled the trailer home from the storage yard with the plan to replace the inoperative tail lights with new ones from Vintage Trailer Supply, replace the umbilical cord, replace the door weather stripping, and maybe do a little seam sealing if time permitted. That was the plan - reality got in the way.

I did not want to install the new tail lights until I was sure the wiring was OK. After trying to troubleshoot the tail light wiring for two or three hours, I came to the conclusion that the problem was open circuits in the wiring, not bad bulbs or bad bulb sockets. I got so far as remove the belly pan access panel to look at where the umbilical cord ties in to the trailer wiring and found some wires that had chafed to the point that the copper wire strands were exposed, but then decided there was not enough daylight left to go further. No trailer lights installed, no umbilical cord installed. 0 for 2. I buttoned everything back up and went on to task 3.

I did get the old weatherstrip removed from the perimeter of the entry door and did get new "Wide D" weather strip from VTS installed. The door now seals tight, but too tight - the door is hard to close and must be slammed. But good enough for now. At least it will not leak through the winter. I ran out of time to do the same for the Door within a door, so that will get new weatherstrip next time. Task 3 one half (1/2) done as the sun was close to going down.

I didn't get any chance to get to task 4, sealing seams. I barely got the trailer back to the storage yard by dark.

Summary, 6+ hours spent (including travel time to the storage yard). One half (1/2) out of 4 planned tasks done. No new photos worth posting. So goes vintage Airstream ownership, maintenance, and restoration.

= = = = = = = = =

Question: Since the umbilical cord wiring was mixed up, I cannot trust wire colors. In looking where the umbilical cord ties into the trailer wiring under the access panel, all of the trailer wiring is red. The three tail lamps wires are all red, but they have varying numbers of knots tied in them (1, 2, and 3) to identify the various circuits (Park/Tail/Running, Right Stop/Turn, and Left Stop/Turn). Does anyone know if there was standard "knot coding" used by Airstream in the early 1960s? Working alone it is hard to test wires from one end of the trailer to the other to know how many knots are used for which lighting circuit. Of course I'll double check, but having a good idea where to start would be nice for next time I try to debug the tail lights.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 09-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I cannot believe I am just seeing this now.

Congrats Joe on a great find. I am sure you will do her proud and return it to the former glory she once had.

Steve
Old 09-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Congrats Joe!! That is a very cool and a great historic find.

The wiring in my 56 (12 volt) was all blue wire with numbers but I have never found any information as to what thier scheme was, so grab a battery or charger and light em up.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
I cannot believe I am just seeing this now.

Congrats Joe on a great find. I am sure you will do her proud and return it to the former glory she once had.

Steve
Thanks Steve! Got this one in your neck of the woods and feel lucky to have gotten it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag'nwagon View Post
Congrats Joe!! That is a very cool and a great historic find.

The wiring in my 56 (12 volt) was all blue wire with numbers but I have never found any information as to what thier scheme was, so grab a battery or charger and light em up.
Hi Dave,
Yeah, I know I can do it with a battery or power supply and will when I get back to it. Just trying to learn if anyone has decoded the knots on another Airstream. Any yes, in my '55 all wiring was blue. Red wire must have been cheaper in 1962.

P.S. I need to call you soon - I tried during the trip home with this trailer, but didn't get you. I've still got to get the rear bumper made and installed on the '55 and hope Bob can still do it. And then there's the topic of an axle for this trailer (maybe next spring). Maybe we need a Metro-Detroit "restoration rally" in next spring.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 09-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
The axle for this trailer is a snap, can be done in a few hours.

Is there any interior pics? Is there anything that was done "special" for the ATWC?

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Wow...Great find! Looking forward to some more pics!
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled4 View Post
Wow...Great find! Looking forward to some more pics!
Thanks.

And to your request and others, I will eventually edit and upload some interior photos, but time is so limited at the moment that there are other priorities. I haven't even had the time to clean the interior yet.

I did pull the trailer home on Sunday (the first nice day over 50F and not raining in over a week) and spent hours on a ladder and on the roof removing old caulk and resealing the roof vents, roof seams, and awning rail. Gotta get it weather tight before winter. Hopefully, the weather will be better and I can do more next weekend.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 10-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Around the World Airstream #6768

Greetings Joe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Question: Since the umbilical cord wiring was mixed up, I cannot trust wire colors. In looking where the umbilical cord ties into the trailer wiring under the access panel, all of the trailer wiring is red. The three tail lamps wires are all red, but they have varying numbers of knots tied in them (1, 2, and 3) to identify the various circuits (Park/Tail/Running, Right Stop/Turn, and Left Stop/Turn). Does anyone know if there was standard "knot coding" used by Airstream in the early 1960s? Working alone it is hard to test wires from one end of the trailer to the other to know how many knots are used for which lighting circuit. Of course I'll double check, but having a good idea where to start would be nice for next time I try to debug the tail lights.
I don't know whether this is too late to help, but I did run across the following posts that might help with the wire knotting/coding for designated purposes. I don't know whether the code differed by year or factory of production, but I do know that my '64 Overlander's wiring is red and it is knotted (whether it matches this schematic, I am not certain).
From what I have heard, this schematic appears to have been somewhat common during the early to mid-1960s.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Joe!

I don't know whether this is too late to help, but I did run across the following posts that might help with the wire knotting/coding for designated purposes. I don't know whether the code differed by year or factory of production, but I do know that my '64 Overlander's wiring is red and it is knotted (whether it matches this schematic, I am not certain).
From what I have heard, this schematic appears to have been somewhat common during the early to mid-1960s.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
Thanks Kevin!

I knew someone had to have run into the knotted wiring before. I hope that maybe this coming weekend I can again work on the tail lights and wiring. I'll start with the definitions provided, but will definitely verify rather than assume my Ohio Built '62 Safari is the same as this code from the 1960 Caravel in the other thread:
  • Left Turn = Zero (or one?) Knot
  • Right Turn = Two Knots
  • Running Lights = Three Knots

WBCCI/VAC #6768