Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2003, 02:59 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Regional Food Specialties

When traveling to the Kansas City or St. Louis areas, a must stop for lunch is one of the White Castle restaurants (http://www.whitecastle.com/) for some of their classic square “mini-hamburgers”. Later in the day if in St. Louis, I generally try to stop at The Pasta House Company (http://www.pastahouse.com/) for one of their Italian specialties.

When visiting the Quad Cities of Illinois/Iowa, a “must” for those craving an unusual sandwich is the Maid Rite (http://www.maid-rite.com/food/food.shtml). This particular sandwich is probably what spawned the idea for the “Loose Meat” sandwich that was a staple on some of the later Roseanne television shows. Many of the local cafes also serve a sandwich called a “Steamburger” that approximates the Maid Rite.

A Western Kansas specialty that I have encountered most often in Russell, Osborne, and Rooks counties is the Bierock (http://www.kitchenproject.com/html/bierocks.htm). A pocket sandwich that is absolutely delicious. The pocket is of any variety of “yeast-type” bread filled with a mixture of ground meat and sauerkraut (or more traditonally, cabbage) that is baked until golden brown and delicious. It sounds strange, but the sauerkraut has no “cabbage” taste when this dish is properly prepared - - it was a staple of the school lunch menu in the high school where I taught in the 1980s and 1990s.

When traveling nearer home, I can’t resist an occasional stop at Lambert’s Café (http://www.throwedrolls.com/) for some of their home-made throwed rolls with equally good home-made sorghum and delicious pass-arounds. They are located in Sikeston, Missouri just off of Interstate 55 on Malone Street.

When spending time on my farm in Union County, Illinois, one of my favorite places is The Giant City Lodge (http://dnr.state.il.us/lodges/gc.htm) their specialties include home-made chicken and dumplings served family style with Southern Fried Chicken. They also have delicious steaks - - their filet mignon is a must not miss for me.

When traveling between the Quad Cities and Carbondale, I can’t miss stopping in Illinois’ Amish country for dinner. The Dutch Kitchen (http://www.rockome.com/Html/dutchkitchen/dk.html) is a café specializing in Pennsylvania Dutch meals with a sweet and sour salad bar, and fabulous home-made deserts. My usual is the Dutch Sausage Dinner with a slice of Shoo-Fly-Pie Alamode.

A trip to the San Francisco Bay Area, Las Vegas, or Reno isn’t complete for me without a stop at a Pepper Mill Restaurant for a bowl of their delicious sour dough bread-bowl chili.

When in the Springfield, Illinois area (served at many local cafes) or in Hays, Kansas at the Pheasant Run Restaurant on Vine Street; the special treat is a Horse Shoe Sandwich. These are open-faced sandwiches served on toast covered with fresh French Fries and smothered in a delicious sharp cheddar cheese sauce - - the meat varies by the interpretation of the restaurateur - - I have had turkey, hamburger, chicken, or pork versions of the same sandwich and they have all been very good.

A trip to Grant County, Wisconsin, is never quite complete without a stop in one of the local cafes for Cornish Pasty. It is basically a meat pocket-pie (the meat varies by interpretation of the restaurateur - - the tradition is for lamb, but more frequently beef or pork is found) - - the pocket is basically an 8” round crust that is filled with meat, sliced potatoes, onions and seasonings after which the crust is sealed around the edges making a half-round finger-food delicacy. It’s even better when topped off with a crock of Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese soup. When available, Lefse (http://www.mnwebsteps.com/grover/lefse.htm) is a wonderful finish to such a meal - - I like to add a “Southern” twist and dip my Lefse in sorghum.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:48 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
If anyone travels the RT80 in PA . I can't remember the exit number (because they changed them) but it is the Tannerville mall exit, make a right at the end of the ramp and them a right again at the end of the road drive 3 miles or less and look for Taste Buds for the best Fried Chicken!!
jim8860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 12:35 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Yet another

Kevin..
Thanks for your list..I'll be sure to print that..

While in the Va Beach, Va. area, I make it a point to never leave the area without visiting the:
Pungo Pizza & Ice Cream
1824 Princess Ann, Virginia Beach, VA 23456

Ask for the "House Special"..Seafood Pizza..
Start the meal off by ordering homemade sourdough breadsticks dipped in melted butter/garlic. Unless you're a really big eater, stay with just an order of 6 breadsticks..You'll wanta leave room for the Seafood Pizza`!
Just outa of this world, is the only way to describe it~
The homemade dough, top'd with fresh tomatoes, scallops, flounder, crabmeat, cheese and the house's special seasoning..
I can smell it even now~!~
Afterwards, try some of their fantastic ice cream..

(I've never made it that far...lol)
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 02:43 AM   #24
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Look for the Tamale Festival in November if near I 10 in Indio, California.
I found the most delicious treats at small farmer's markets, the kind they have once a week in many towns in California. They also always have fresh and tasty vegetables. Oh, and flowers.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:17 AM   #25
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Austin, Texas

Artz Rib House at south Lamar & Bluebonnet has free live music every night of the week and (IMHO) the best baby back ribs in the universe. Bluegrass jam every Sunday afternoon and bluegrass on Sunday nights; otherwise a variety of folk, country, blues, etc. Art wins awards every year. Funky, moderate prices.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 09:10 AM   #26
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Santa Maria Style Barbecue

Located on the Central Coast of California ... the Santa Maria Style Barbecue is a regional specialty without peer.

To understand what it is .. try these links:

Santa Maria Style Barbecue - The Unofficial Page

Santa Maria Style Barbecue - The Official Page

If you don't want to cook .. there are several great restaurants that serve this specialty ... one of the best is:

F. McLintocks Saloon & Dining House

We had dinner at the Paso Robles location last night .... Mmmmmmmm ... gooooood!

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 10:28 AM   #27
nds
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs up The Kentucky Hot Brown

Another traditional Kentucky dish is the Kentucky Hot Brown. This is popular after Thanksgiving or Christmas when there's a lot of turkey left over.

It was originally created by the chef of the Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky and is offered in most restaurants in Kentucky. There are variations of this, but the original contained only turkey. Now, some restaurants serve it with turkey and ham or country ham. Very rich and very good!

Kentucky Hot Brown
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 02:38 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Ted Peters

If you are near St. Pete, you should try Ted Peters. They've been serving beachgoers and fishermen for more than 50 years. We've been going there since 1965.

The restaurant is on the east side of Pasadena Avenue. That's the left hand side as you are heading from St. Pete to St. Pete Beach.

Their specialty is smoked fish: mackerel, mullet or salmon. And their fish spread is famous, too.

My family has always gone for the hamburgers. I know several people that have never even tried the fish since the burgers are so good. I can never decide whether to order fish or burger, so I usually try to convince Brett to order fish so I can get a burger and share his fish.

The German potato salad is to die for. It must not be authentic, since I can't stand German potato salad from anywhere else. It's mostly potatoes, onions and bacon. Not much sweet or sour.

Be sure and order a frosty mug of root beer if you aren't drinking beer.

The seating is mostly outdoors, but covered. There is a small dining room. I was in it for the first time in my life a year ago.

And if you are a fisherman and have a fresh catch, they'll smoke it for you. I think they charge $1 per pound to smoke your fish.

They are closed on Tuesdays, and they close at 7:30 p.m. other nights.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Cheese Curds

When in Wisconsin, you should try fresh cheese curds. "Cheese curds are fresh, young cheddar cheese in the natural, random shape and form before being processed into blocks and aged."

They can be purchased at most grocery stores, but I prefer to get them at the farmer's market held on the square in Madison Saturday mornings.

If you get them at a grocery store, ask a dairy dept. employee how long they've had them. Our local store received their curds on Thursday, so that's the only day we'd buy them.

If they are fresh, they will squeak when you eat them.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:55 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Mesquite BBQ

Joe Allens.... http://www.joeallens.com/
Mesquite smoked BBQ and mesquite grilled steaks...which in Texas means BEEF.
Abilene, Texas...y'all come!
Similar restuarant in Lubbock ..Cagle's Steaks.....
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 03:15 PM   #31
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ya beat me to it!

"They can be purchased at most grocery stores, but I prefer to get them at the farmer's market held on the square in Madison Saturday mornings."

edie,

just remember to go counterclockwise around the square!

also not to be missed is the "taste of madison" held in august on the capitol square. many good local delights.

taste of madison

john
Old 12-19-2003, 05:24 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

I hadn't thought of this until reading John and Edie's posts. One of the unusual treats that I enjoyed in Grant County Wisconsin cafes was a cheese curd specialty. Served with salad as an appetizer, the curds were pan fried in real butter just until they were about ready to melt - - with wheat crackers or rye toast - - a very delicious treat. (It seems like there is at least one cheese factory with a "factory store" in most Grant County communities - - never tired experimenting with the wonderful cheese products while living there.)

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 12-19-2003, 05:38 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
Cincinnati Chili...

Skyline Chili to be specific.

Skyline Chili

The best way is a five-way...spaghetti topped with chili, beans, onions and shredded cheddar cheese.

Another great way is a coney or a "Skyliner". Its a hotdog on a bun topped with chili, mustard, onions and shredded cheddar.

Yum!!!
Herm and Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:02 PM   #34
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Spudnuts - any where, any time!
A cake style doughnut made with potato flour. These used (1950's) to be available all over the Northwest at mom and pop franchises..... they are now a rarity.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:07 PM   #35
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Hard to get the Airstream in tow near one, but to continue with the Wisconsin food. Either Chili Johns in Green Bay, or Real Chili in Milwaukee. Edie orders it Marquette ( no beans). I like it with Pasta noodles, beans and chili meat. Onions, cheese and sour cream are optional. Be prepared though if you are sensitive to hot spicy food the mild will be too much. Medium is a good sinus clearer, I don't know anyone who can eat hot, but I am sure there is someone out there that can

Link to real chili in citysearch

From the Green Bay PAckes site.
Chili Johns Steeped in tradition, Chili Johns opened for business before the Green Bay Packers began their unparalleled legacy. Chili Johns signature chili is described as a "Tex Mex" with its combination of beans, noodles and meat. Rumor has it that Chili John's is a must-stop for football guru John Madden.

I think it may be time for a road trip....................
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 08:14 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Maid-rites-loose meat sandwiches

nds-you asked about "loose meat" sandwiches. The ones we have loved for years were from a franchised Maid-rite. Our home town Maid-rite was in Trenton, Missouri, and our kids thought those sandwiches, along with an ice-cold Pepsi, were as fine as steak or lobster, well, almost! We found another Maid-rite north of there in Iowa, but have no idea if they are just a mid-America marvel or if more wide spread. As anyone mentioned Crab Cakes? Everyone's is "always best" and always slightly different from all others, it seems! But we do love them!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 08:19 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
a Gumbo cookoff, anyone?

Talk about regional dishes-how about Gumbo? We like ours dark with roux and hot with Tobasco, filled with rice and claws and crawfish! The best gumbo I've had was served in the little town of Bayou la Batre, but the most fun I've had eating Gumbo was at the annual Gumbo Cookoff in Mobile last spring. Has anyone else been there?
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 09:17 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Maxandgeorgia!

Quote:
We found another Maid-rite north of there in Iowa, but have no idea if they are just a mid-America marvel or if more wide spread.
The Maid Rite franchise is home-based in the Quad Cities of Illinois/Iowa. They have a web site at:

Maid Rite Cafes

Our local Maid Rite had dollar Maid Rite nite on Thursdays for years or at least it seems that way - - unforutunately a disasterous fire caused the owner to close the cafe and it has never been re-opened.

I actually had the opportunity to have a Loose Meat Sandwitch at Roseanne and Tom's Big Food Diner in Eldon, Iowa back in the very early 1990s. This was just shortly after the article appeared in TV Guide . It was very similar to the Maid Rites served in the Quad Cities Area. In fact most of the small cafes around here serve a very close approximation that is called a Steamburger.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 12-19-2003, 09:52 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

I hadn't thought about it for years, but one of my favorite stops when traveling through Randolph County Illinois was at the Mary Lee Bake Shop in Chester (Popeye's hometown). They featured a taste treat called an Old Fashioned doughnut.

After moving away, I just had to try to replicate it as a holiday treat. Experimenting with many old recipes resulted in a near duplicate - - the recipe substituted 50% to 75% of the normal amount of flour for left-over mashed potatoes (in a normal yeast doughnut-type dough); the balance of the dough preparation was normal. Two additional keys were in frying - - for best taste the frying had to be done in pure lard; and the glaze had to be very ritch (twice as much sugar as normal plus an extra 3 tablespoons of creamery butter and 3 tablespoons of pure Vanilla Extract). The recipe is one that belonged to my maternal grandmother, and makes close to 8 dozen large doughnuts.

Probably not for the health-nut; but a truely memorable taste treat.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 12-19-2003, 11:22 PM   #40
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

In Paris, Camembert , baguette & a glass of vin rouge!

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote