Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2003, 11:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Regional Food Specialties

Let's have some fun sharing our locale or travel experience. Why don't you list a food item a traveler could pick up and turn into a unique camp experience. Multiple entries for an item are cool -- that will help our members find it closest to their travels.

Please list location, the ingredient or food item, then how or where to obtain it. Of course a little personal comment makes it Real! How do you use it?

Here's a start from my life:

Texas pecans Pecan orchards most anywhere -- ask around or try the phone book. Prime crop in October; may be available shelled later in month?

Gulf Coast Shrimp Texas coastal towns -- convenience stores, bait shops, try little stores near where you see shrimpers docked. Ask a shrimper. Boil 'em, peel and eat by a campfire -- it's so simple and nothing is better!

Kolaches (Czech sweet pastries). The town of West, Texas, between Dallas and Waco -- go into town, don't just stop at the freeway exit. In town may be tougher towing a big rig. Kolaches also figure prominently in New Prague, MN.

Pasties Meat pie turnovers with potatoes, carrots; most authentic if also has rutabagas. This was a miner's lunch. Find in town cafes in Minnesota Iron Range and Upper Peninsula of N. Michigan. Usually can get take-out; reheat in oven or put in foil over edge of fire.

Hobo dinner Lake Superior area. Buy a whole fresh whitefish or small lake trout, place lemon wedges in body cavity, seal in foil. Also make foil packets with any combination of sliced potato, onion, carrot; add pat or two of butter, salt & pepper. Start the potatoes first on a grate over campfire; when potatoes almost done put fish on for 5 minutes, flip once for a few more minutes until steaming nicely.

Let's hear from you!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 03:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Bob -

Lancaster County, PA - Amish Country -

Stop at any of the 100's of Amish farms or road side stands and get fresh fruits, vegetables, etc., or some canned "Chow-Chow", a fresh baked pie ("Shoo-Fly" is a speciliaty), some canned jelly or freshly baked bread.

If you prefer to buy everything at one stop, consider Shady Maple grocery just outside the small town of Blue Ball, PA, where you find one of the largest selections of groceries and fresh produce in the US, as well as one of the largest smorgasboards (if you don't want to cook youself).

For desert, visit the Amish "Lapp's Farm and Dairy" where you can get ice cream made right on the farm in a freshly made sugar cone.

Park your Airstream at one of the campgrounds in the area, rated by Good Sams among the Best 100 places to stay, but try not to drive like a tourist when your on the highway, 'cause I might be driving behind 'ya.

John
Old 12-18-2003, 04:06 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

I would like to second flyfisher's recomendation on Amish country tasties. Been there, done that.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 08:41 AM   #4
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Here's one to get the juices flowing...

Chicago deep dish pizza from Giordano's. Mostly, Giordano's is in the Chicago area, but they have two locations in Florida near Disney and this is where I got mine. You can order one online too from http://www.giordanos.com.

I used to go to Chicago and New York about once every 2 - 3 months on business and though I tried I never found better deep dish pizza.

There's other pizza varieties I can comment on, New York style, Boston, etc... but for pure unbridled gluttony ya can't beat real Chicago deep dish pizza!

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 08:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Stone soup...ill bring the stones...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 08:56 AM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Re: Regional Food Specialties

Quote:
Originally posted by Canoe stream
Kolaches (Czech sweet pastries). The town of West, Texas, between Dallas and Waco -- go into town, don't just stop at the freeway exit. In town may be tougher towing a big rig.
When going north, I usually leave about 5 am to get through Austin before work traffic and Dallas before noon traffic. This gets me to West at about 8 or 8:30. I go into town about 2 blocks and buy about 5 or 6 sausage kolaches (can't remember the name of the place, but it is on the right). I eat 2 kolaches for breakfast and, about each 100 miles thereafter, I dig out another kolache. They're as good cold as hot.

I hate going north on I-35 with a passion, but my stop at West is always a bright spot in an otherwise dismal morning.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 09:05 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by flyfisher
Lancaster County, PA - Amish Country -
And please don't pronounce it in the British fashion ("lan-caster"), for those of us who were raised in the area, it comes out more like "lank-iss-ter".

My grandmother spoke Pennsylvania German in the home until she was married and sang in German all her life. My great-grandfather and grandfather ran a grist mill and farmed on Stony Creek. Each week, they had a stall at the farmer's market in Harrisburg. I was raised with apple pie for breakfast and pot pie for dinner.

I'll be visiting my brothers in PA right before the Airstream Homecoming next spring.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 09:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
persimmons- Sept. persimmon festival-Mitchell, Indiana

b.b.q.mutton-Moon barbeque- Owensboro, Ky.

Lebanon bologna- lank-iss-ter, Pa.

Horseshoe sandwich-Springfield,Ill.

norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 12-18-2003, 09:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
john,
i'll bet you put stickin sauce on your brisket.....
norby

Old 12-18-2003, 09:13 AM   #10
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Regional Food Specialties

Although seafood is not regional in Tennessee, we always take Snow Crab Legs. You just can't beat cracking and eating them by the fire! My dogs also love them and race each other to the Airstream to make sure that they get to go camping!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 09:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

I had a daughter at school in Waco for four years, and came to an excellent understanding of Kolaches. The important thing to know is not to eat an entire bag in a single setting.

Just up the road from West is Hillsboro, Tx. There is (was?) a very good Czech restaurant on the north side of the square downtown.

If you are coming up I-44 near the Mo./Okla. line, it is worth the detour - and it is significant - up to Cookies in Golden City, Mo. Great country cooking, but the real attraction is the twenty or so pies in the display just as you come in the door. The drill is to order the pie first to avoid disappointment after dinner when your favorite is sold out. The woman who cooks a couple dozen pies every day can't last forever.

Down in south and southwest La. you can sometimes find fresh boudin. It must be fresh, hot, and the skin must be crackling crisp.

Here in Springfield we feature "cashew chicken". It is unlike cashew chicken served in most chinese places. In fact, "Springfield Cashew Chicken" now appears on menus as far away as Kansas City and St. Louis. It is served everywhere here - even in grocery stores - but is seldom done well.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:53 AM   #12
nds
3 Rivet Member

A popular traditional dish in Kentucky

Kentucky Burgoo (sort of a stew)

The history of this dish goes back to the pioneers of Kentucky (Boone, Harrod, etc). When the forts back then would replenish the meat storage, they would empty out everything they had stored up to that time, as not to waste anything. Burgoo back then would contain rabbit, squirrel, venison, wild boar, bear, elk, buffalo, whatever meat they hunted, along with the veggies they had on hand. Now, most recipes call for just beef, chicken, lamb, etc. But, several people still put venison, rabbit, etc in it (those that hunt). This is just one recipe that I found on the internet when I did a search on Kentucky Burgoo on Google. Keeneland Race Track in Lexington has a very good burgoo they sell during the racing meets there.

Kentucky Burgoo

This would be a good meal to share one night among several that plan a rally together.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Stone soup....now thats rally food!.....

wheres our south carolina unit?......you should herald Brunswick Stew......
norby

Old 12-18-2003, 11:48 AM   #14
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by norbert
persimmons- Sept. persimmon festival-Mitchell, Indiana

b.b.q.mutton-Moon barbeque- Owensboro, Ky.

Lebanon bologna- lank-iss-ter, Pa.

Horseshoe sandwich-Springfield,Ill.

norby
That's Moonlight Bar B Q Inn in Owensboro. And, watch your teeth on those stones.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
i stand corrected....without light they could serve spanish pony instead..

Old 12-18-2003, 12:28 PM   #16
nds
3 Rivet Member

My sister lived in Springfield, Il for several years and talked about the Horseshoe sandwichs. what were those again?

And, what was the loose meat sandwiches that they used to talk about on Roseanne Barr's show all the time? Was there such a thing in Illinois?
Old 12-18-2003, 01:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
a horse shoe is usually 2 hamburger patties with cheese(rarebit) sauce on toast, surrrounded by american fries.......dont know about the other..loose meat? italian beef? sloppy joe?......
norby

Old 12-18-2003, 01:19 PM   #18
79 SLY

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
My wife and her family are Norwegian, they ruin every Holiday with Lutefisk. Its a white fish soaked in Lye, then rinsed and boiled.

But I do enjoy the lefsa, as bad as the preparation sounds. You take mashed potatoes, add flour. Then you roll it thin and cook it like a tortilla. Spread on a little butter and sprinkle on some sugar and roll it up. Those are hard to pass up, even if it does make you wonder which is the food and which is the napkin.
trumpwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
lutefisk is dried salt cod which is usually stored on the porch and then marked by the family dog....... b4 being reconstituted in a lye solution.....rinsed and baked....served in a cream sauce...
norby

Old 12-18-2003, 02:40 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
You pick the region

How about:

Hoagies or is that ... Po'boys or is that ... Grinders or is that ... Subs (submarines) or is that ... Wedges or . . .

I'm sure there are more names for the above mentioned sandwich.

Take care,
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote