Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #361
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I think I'll use my oven.

This newby is going through the manual trying to figure out things. What? Huh? What do they mean? Why can't I understand this? Am I really that stoopid?
This is getting depressing.

The oven should come in handy....
my head fits perfectly.
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #362
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I think I'll use my oven.

....<snip>...
This is getting depressing.

The oven should come in handy....
my head fits perfectly.
Glad your head fits because that will come in handy when lighting your oven! That's the only thing we don't like about our oven (which we use all the time and would not be without)... I have to get down on my hands and knees to light the pilot... And there will come a day when this is far more difficult for me than it is now... I don't know how some folks do it!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #363
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We light our oven freq enuf we don't have to eyeball it anymore, just click the lighter and reach back and up - voila! The pilot's burning. But I do tend to leave the oven door open after turning up the oven's burner control, when waiting for the oven burner to light.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #364
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Glad your head fits because that will come in handy when lighting your oven! That's the only thing we don't like about our oven (which we use all the time and would not be without)... I have to get down on my hands and knees to light the pilot... And there will come a day when this is far more difficult for me than it is now... I don't know how some folks do it!
Totally understand you, we do a partner thing, he gets done on hands and knees and I attempt to control the knobby thing to get it started. Plan on using our oven quite a bit in the next few weeks. Our plans are a Montana trip and while the BBQ is usually our way to prepare meals, it may be too cold for that. Plus the oven will help heat up the trailer.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #365
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
I love my little oven! Actually, it is not so little -- I was able to roast a 10# plus thanksgiving turkey in there. I also love the "broil" feature -- you can slip something that needs to nice and crispy on top right under the broiler at the bottom. Also love that you can use it boon docking
Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #366
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Camarillo , California
Cookies and cornbread for us so far. Although a pizza would be fun.

2007 AS 23ft SE, Front lounge
2011 F250 CC 4wd Diesel
lkpills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #367
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Portland , OR
Sovereign

The problem with using the oven in my 69/70 International Sovereign is Airstream's, I think, unusual decision to place the oven not underneath the stove top, but through the wall to the bedroom just right of the sink. I have to clear the counter in front of it, where I keep the dish strainer, and then it heats up that part of the trailer including the cupboards above the sink. It seems inconvenient and odd. The furnace is under the stove top where the oven would normally be, and I'm surprised the designers didn't keep the oven there and find a more innovative place for the oven. If they could have put it in to the lower right of the sink, perhaps they could have relocated the shelves that are there into the bedroom wall.
mytehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #368
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytehawk View Post
The problem with using the oven in my 69/70 International Sovereign is Airstream's, I think, unusual decision to place the oven not underneath the stove top, but through the wall to the bedroom just right of the sink. I have to clear the counter in front of it, where I keep the dish strainer, and then it heats up that part of the trailer including the cupboards above the sink. It seems inconvenient and odd. The furnace is under the stove top where the oven would normally be, and I'm surprised the designers didn't keep the oven there and find a more innovative place for the oven. If they could have put it in to the lower right of the sink, perhaps they could have relocated the shelves that are there into the bedroom wall.
Hi, Airstream might have done it better in some models; My trailer has the oven below my stove top and my furnace under my oven.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #369
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
More from My Oven

There have been a few more threads about ovens vs microwaves. Thought I'd bump this thread with photos of the Peanut Butter/Chocolate Almond Raspberry Blondies I cooked for our office potluck last Thursday at lunch. First photo straight from the oven and still warm, second plated.

OK, I could have done them in the Sharp convection microwave I bought a while back, but the weather turned cool and it was perfect for cooking in the oven.

On edit: Attached the recipe if anyone's interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB_Choc_Almond_RSB_DSC03157_1600.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	511.8 KB
ID:	174708   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB_Choc_Almond_RSB_DSC03164_1600.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	174709  

Attached Files
File Type: docx PB-Choclate-Almond-Raspberry Blondie.docx (92.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #370
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
Oven

we enjoy cooking in and eating in our 25 fc. it's more fun than cooking at home so we do practically everything we would do at home. Of course, when on the road it's fun to purchase "local", especially local fruits and veggies.

our oven is an important part of our RV. it has been now for 12 Rvs since 1973 including two sailboats.

we pride ourselves on entertaining well and most folks enjoy our table.

Lou
NWGreyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #371
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
portland , Oregon
i have 2 school age kids and we bake something everytime we go out. at our airstream holiday openhouse in portland we had cider and fresh baked cookies to give out to the folks touring our trailer.
chris
cbcnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #372
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
We had a FC with convection MW and no oven and we recently traded for a Classic with oven and MW without convection. When we had the FC we attempted biscuits in the convection MW and they didn't turn out nearly as well as they do in an oven. The biggest problem we experienced was with the A/C on, a coffee pot and try to use the convection, the breaker would trip. 30A sometimes just isn't enough to power the available electric components in an A/S so we're happy to have the oven in the newer unit. We do microwave and can continue to do that as needed.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #373
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
We do. No cooking by numbers for us.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #374
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2014 28' Flying Cloud
1992 34' Excella
. , Maine
I was surprised to find out how different the ovens were from my 76 to my 81. Both work fine however the 76 seems to leave the cooktop above quite warm to the touch near the vent whereas in the 81 this does not occur.
Jared129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #375
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Gone!

As of last Saturday, my oven is gone; replaced by a cook top and 3 drawers. A friend with an identical trailer wanted an oven and I wanted the drawer space.
  • About 30 minutes to remove the cook top, drawer guides, and cabinet rails from her trailer.
  • About 10 minutes to temporarily install the cook top in my trailer to get me home.
  • About an hour on Monday to install the guides and cabinet rails in my trailer.

The oven slid right in to the space her trailer and took only the 4 screws to complete the job.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #376
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
We replaced our original stove oven combo with a Wedgewood cooktop and Breville Smart Oven with Convection feature. We had a small microwave but never used it. So far the Smart Oven has worked out great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2673419967.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	560.9 KB
ID:	181088  
Old 03-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #377
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
First thing to go was the old oven/cook top. DW said "I'm not planning on baking when we are camping".
Installed a 3 burner cook top, put drawers below for pots and pans.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #378
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
You can actually use the oven in an Airstream!? I will have to point that out to my wife. Can you use the oven in your house, too?
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #379
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
I see trouble.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by afneill View Post
You can actually use the oven in an Airstream!? I will have to point that out to my wife. Can you use the oven in your house, too?
I see trouble straight ahead....I can always tell when DH wants something baked because he will say "Remember those pies you made last summer? Those were really good." Sometimes he varies it with "I am really hungry for biscuits this morning." or "I'm all out of my favorite oatmeal cookies." You just have to learn to speak in code.

We are debating right now about putting just a cook top in the Pacer or doing the full oven with it. Not a lot of room in that camper and how often would we need an oven? I guess that depends on if I hear any of the above statements while we are camping. I've also heard they have restaurants some places too.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #380
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by afneill View Post
You have to determine whether the oven operates on wood or coal. Some will work with both.

In the newer Airstreams people mistakenly think the oven works on gas—they get down on the floor and try to light the "pilot light" way in the back of the cavity while someone else turns a dial on the front of the stove and pushes it in.

You can't see the so-called "pilot light" without a flashlight and that's probably why people think it operates on gas. The dial is a Rumptly Bifurcator used to tune the cooktop. Some people are so flexible they can stretch a hand all to the way to back of the oven, hold flashlight in their teeth and manipulate the Bifurcator at the same time.

It is so much easier to crumple up some newspaper (if you can find a newspaper, otherwise use an iPad for kindling), add some kindling and then some bigger pieces of wood and get a good fire going. You can add coal to it too. There may be some smoke, but that is what the fan over the stove is for. Our stove is a Magic Chef, a company now out of business and for good reason, it appears.

We do have a 1931 Magic Chef stove at home, one of their first, and it is easy to light the stove. It operates on propane or natural gas with a simple turn of an orifice; you don't have to change the orifice. The company motto was, "Magic Chef, the company that goes backward in time".

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote