Old 12-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Can't imagine having to eat out all the time. I have seen too many dirty restaurant kitchens. We rarely eat out. I love to cook and bake so having my own fridge and oven is crucial. Additionally I like having my own bed, bath and living space. I know who slept in the bed last. Having our Airstream means we do not have to worry about the people next door making noise, cleanliness of the room and bed, or any of the so often heard about misfortunes of hotels not being up to par.

We love to stop along the way and make a salad or sandwich for lunch. Grilling dinner is routine for us. I make my own granola and so our breakfasts are healthy too. Evening campfires and enjoying the fresh air, walks and views is wonderful. Additionally meeting nice people along the way is a bonus. These are all things you do not get in hotels. Too many bad stories about hotels. They are not for us.

StreamNTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Way more expensive to eat out than prepare your own.

avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
The DW went hardcore vegan 12 months ago and finding restaurants outside the big cities that do proper vegan food, that is fully plant-based and oil-free, is nigh on impossible. What you can get when travelling, though, is good quality local produce just about anywhere, so this last summer the Airstream was a travelling vegan kitchen when we were on the road. Sure, you spend lots of time in the preparation, but under the awning is a great place to eat on a balmy evening.
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Earlier this year, we took what was to be a 3 week vacation without our Airstream. We needed to get somewhere fast initially due to a relative's health issue and decided to go by auto as we had not de-winterized yet or done the first trip maintenance and time was of the essence.

The first few days were okay. But we picked up some bad food somewhere and had to cut our vacation short. We spent 5 days traveling 500 miles because we were too sick to continue driving. It took another 10 days or so to really recover to full strength.

We like to try new foods and restaurants, but when it is for every meal, the chances of exposure to bad stuff increases significantly.

Since having the above experience, we have downsized to our Interstate and will likely never travel without it out of state for other than a dire medical emergency. Much of that desire is driven by the ability to make our own healthy and safe food and to sleep in our own bed.
bugsbunny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:47 AM   #19
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have had Mueslix jags, off and on, for 20 years or so, since enjoying it overseas and then watching a Scandinavian woman on TV show how easy it was to make.

Nice to balance out dietary indulgences with scrubbing bubbles for your arteries, and a very quick, cold breakfast. I have eaten this for dinner on long travel days.

Am currently "on", and thought I would share my super-simple recipe, which you can make at home....or on the road.

6 cups quick or regular oats, toasted in your oven or a skillet on low heat...cooled. I like the taste of toasted oats, and find them more digestible this way.

2 cups dried fruit of choice...I like dried cherries, cranberries, raisins, apricots, whatever sounds good at the time
2 cups nuts of choice.....slivered almonds, chopped pecans, walnuts, etc
2 tablespoons or so of brown sugar

Mix thoroughly with your hands, breaking up dried fruit clumps, and store in an airtight container.

You can add anything to this that you like....sometimes I toast coconut with the oats, add wheat or oat bran, wheat germ, etc.

To serve:

Stir to combine ingredients that have settled, scoop into a bowl, cover with milk of choice and let sit awhile. Slice a banana or other fresh fruit on top, if desired.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by hickory View Post
I was having a discussion with a friend about traveling.
He says that pulling a travel trailer is a very poor way to travel. They like to travel by car stay in motels and eat out all the time. Much cheaper and more relaxing according to him. No making the bed or cooking or washing dishes.

We love pulling our Airstream and seeing the country. We really think we eat much healthier when traveling in our trailer. Eating out all the time sounds disgusting to us. We like to try regional specialties, but eating fast food all the time would suck.
It is hard to find a decent place when you pull into a strange town. We have urban spoon but haven't found it to be much help.
We mostly travel in the summer and travel the highways and byways so it is easy to find fresh produce along the way.

Do you think you eat healthier when traveling in your trailer?

I traveled when I worked for over 40 years, sometimes hitting over 200 nights a year and flew over 6 million miles. I don't care for hotels, motels etc or many restaurants. We purchase our RVs, and now another AS for two main reasons - (1) My career was spent in motels and restaurants, and we agreed to avoid motels at all costs and eat out once a week (2) So we could take our dogs every place with us. So far so good.

As to eating healthy, I try to eat so, but don't fret about it. My wife is healthier than I am.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:37 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member
What an interesting thread! We are hardcore vegan and love being able to eat just as healthy on the road as we do at home. I do a little prep work before the trip to save time and love sharing our good with curious people that have no idea how good plants can taste. This is our first year as airstreamers with our new 23 foot International.
CathynGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:30 PM   #22
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Lately we have become more softcore vegan.

I am wondering how you manage on long trips with no health food stores (or even health food sections in super markets) in sight.

Maggie, your recipe looks really good, and without all of the oil and sweetener that characterizes granola. Plus, if we want some glorified oatmeal porridge, we can always cook it.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:02 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2014 28' Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
I agree with most comments here, but will say that a country style breakfast is most usually enjoyed at a local cafe. Can't quite seem to get the hashbrowns as crispy on a propane stove as they do on a proper griddle.

But BBQ and dinners always seem better in the AS and we can control portion size and fats.
2014 28' Flying Cloud
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab CTD 4x4
Lara Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Cracker Barrel is our country style breakfast (and lunch, and dinner) restaurant of choice on the road. And many of them have RV pull through parking.

Sadly, they are not anywhere in California yet. That may be a blessing, because it's just too easy to turn into a 'Big Bubba' on a steady diet of their food. Not that weave their food, but they also have fun stuff in their store, like our famous Flying Pig statue. We usually hit the first one we find in Arizona, then use one of their handy-dandy hand-out maps to navigate cross country for the rest of the trip.

Sometime our trips are defined by food stops, like Pappys BBQ and Saltgrass in Texas, and certain delicatessens in Florida. We also love to hit seafood and sushi places in Washington State as well.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:59 AM   #25
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Lately we have become more softcore vegan.

I am wondering how you manage on long trips with no health food stores (or even health food sections in super markets) in sight.

Maggie, your recipe looks really good, and without all of the oil and sweetener that characterizes granola. Plus, if we want some glorified oatmeal porridge, we can always cook it.
It is really quite yummy, guilt free, and a good start to the day.....or end, as the case may be.

I am not vegan, but a number of folks here are.

And, I eat healthily most of the time these days, but still have my indulgences.

I am more and more interested in anything I can put together myself, minus the preservatives and additives from someone doing it for me.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:46 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Traveling off the interstate usually makes it easier to find fresh fruits and veggies as well as ma and pa restaurants with fresher and more local type foods. Whatever is the norm for the area. Keep your eyes open for roadside stands and smaller grocery stores. You may not find what you want but you can find something else to try. Mueslix sounds really good. I could eat that with some bacon or ham on the side and be very happy. Thanks for the idea. Peace, jim
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I eat healthy whether home or on the road. Your health requires choosing the best foods. I eat no wheat,and low carb in general. Lots of fresh foods. No frozen meals.
I had a serious coronary artery condition that I have pretty much beat with diet & certain supplements.No meds.
So I eat the same, at home or on the Airstream road.

Posted a thread sometime ago;
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We are hardcore vegan, too. I can pretty much veganize any recipe out there. Just finished up left over Beef Carbonnade with eggless noodles for lunch. Used Gardein beef tips, a good vegan ipa, fresh herbs and vegetables. The flavor got richer over the couple of days it was in the frig.

We are looking forward to getting on the road and hitting farmer's markets, plus I have pretty much book-marked every Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in the country on my computer. Don't think we will have a problem eating healthfully when we start full-timing.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote