Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2015, 10:52 PM   #361
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Not dissing the French press, but I gotta say, after our recent trip we're still loving our incredibly old-fashioned percolator. Also works great when boondocking. With good beans properly ground, it makes a wonderful brew Every Single Time.

Very simple:
  • 6 tbsp of coarse-ground coffee in the basket and "5" cups of water per the marking on the side of the pot. NO paper filters needed!
  • Bring it to a perk
  • Turn it down as low as possible and continue perking the coffee for 9 minutes. You want an occasional "bloop bloop," not a continuous boil.
  • Pull out the basket / stem assembly
  • Drink
Even works at Denver altitudes.

Glacier Stainless-Steel Percolator, 12-Cup | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Hi, can you even pour that coffee? We use a similar percolator [six cup] and I use two table spoons of grounds, a paper filter, and let it perk for about two minutes. When we go out, we ask for a half cup of coffee with the other half hot water.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #362
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Haha, good one, Robert. Yes, it pours nicely, it's rich and delicious. No Green Acres coffee here, my friend.

Of course, we're from the PNW where most any cup of coffee makes one sit up and pay attention.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:18 PM   #363
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Haha, good one, Robert. Yes, it pours nicely, it's rich and delicious. No Green Acres coffee here, my friend.

Of course, we're from the PNW where most any cup of coffee makes one sit up and pay attention.

Hi, we are new here in the PNW and can't believe how many coffee houses there are. Wife wants to try Dutch Bros; They seem to be the most popular around Salem. [according to the lines in the drive through's]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 04-27-2015, 11:43 PM   #364
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I am looking at the ESPRO French Press and was wondering how well it works and is the 18oz size sufficient to fill 2 mugs.
It works amazingly well. The coffee is much brighter tasting, as the micro filters work better than most mesh screens in other French Press coffee makers we have used. I like the taste better than paper filters.

We use the 32 oz (large) model. I would get that one, especially if you are using mugs instead of smaller cups.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #365
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, we are new here in the PNW and can't believe how many coffee houses there are. Wife wants to try Dutch Bros; They seem to be the most popular around Salem. [according to the lines in the drive through's]

Hi, today after running a few errands, we went to a nice coffee house. My wife loved the coffee and didn't have to dilute it. I, on the other hand, ordered a hot chocolate and a chocolate chip cookie; They were great too. Thank You for the information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06615.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	237378  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 04-28-2015, 11:10 PM   #366
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Back "in the day", stoves had "pilot lights". Over those flickering flames sat a 9"-12" baking pan, usually aluminum, about 1/3-1/2 full of water. In that pan sat a "percolator" /drip pot...keeping things warm.

To brew, another pot sat over another pilot light and it was enough water to "brew" a pot by pouring slowly over fresh grounds.

Rarely was another burner lit to heat up water to boiling, unless it had been scooped from the bilge or overboard. DAMHIK...

The pots were NEVER "washed".... But nothing ever seemed to "grow" in them.

We have had about all we can stand of the "Mr. Coffee" types and have "Bunn" at home and for a while on the road... But space constraints won out.

So, I am thinking of getting another of the "old type" and using a small boilerplate. Or maybe induction burner. All I would need is a shallow steel pan to hold the water....and the pot. The induction plate can do other mundane tasks as needed.... Hmmmmm.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:17 AM   #367
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Jeff

I did go out an buy the 32oz Espro press for the reason you stated. My wife and I like to drink our coffee from mugs and the 32oz is perfect for that and besides it does make great coffee. When I am by myself i will continue to use the Bialetti Moka Express Stovetop Espresso Coffee Maker. It also makes great coffee however only enough for one good size mug at a time.

When we camp for a week or more I pull out our espresso machine, but it is heavy to move and takes up space on the counter.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:58 PM   #368
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Jeff

I did go out an buy the 32oz Espro press for the reason you stated. My wife and I like to drink our coffee from mugs and the 32oz is perfect for that and besides it does make great coffee. When I am by myself i will continue to use the Bialetti Moka Express Stovetop Espresso Coffee Maker. It also makes great coffee however only enough for one good size mug at a time.

When we camp for a week or more I pull out our espresso machine, but it is heavy to move and takes up space on the counter.
Glad it worked for you. We really like ours. At home I am using a Simonelli machine and a Simonelli grinder, but they are too heavy to take on the road IMO.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #369
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Over the last 45 years of coffee drinking I have tried just about every way possible to brew a cup of coffee. We have found the best cup of coffee ever has been from a vintage Pyrex percolator we purchased as a prop. We now have 2 of them. They are Pyrex and are somewhat fragile, but man what a good cup of joe.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:52 AM   #370
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
At home I am using a Simonelli machine and a Simonelli grinder, but they are too heavy to take on the road IMO.

The Simonelli is a great machine. I looked at them but decided to go with the Alex Duetto 2 a few years back when I replaced my older mini Vivaldi machine. I have been very pleased with it.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #371
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Good coffee maker for a trailer?

We are still in search for a great single serve coffee maker...has anyone tried the new OXX Coffeebox?
Sorely tempted to splurge on this compact cube style cutie:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...er/description
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:29 PM   #372
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
I read over the whole tread and decided I would take a simple route. I purchased Via from Starbucks. It's inexpensive light weight and good.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #373
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
>Bialetti Moka Express Stovetop Espresso Coffee Maker. It also makes great coffee however only enough for one good size mug at a time.

The Bialetti comes in like 10 different sizes, simple, and it makes a sort of pesudo expresso - much stronger than coffee, a touch weaker than a full pressure machine expresso.

Have had consistently great results with the mainstream Italian coffee brands Lativva or whatever.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #374
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
I read over the whole tread and decided I would take a simple route. I purchased Via from Starbucks. It's inexpensive light weight and good.

Is that the instant stuff (just add hot water)? How does it taste compared to one from the shop?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #375
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
The only time I've ever used Via is on long backpack trips 7-14 days. Anything shorter, Lexan French Press. That stuff is disappointing to me.
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:54 AM   #376
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
^^^+++

What duncans said. Even way back in the backcountry, Via is weak. Might be better off boiling tree bark.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:34 AM   #377
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Coffee....must do with respect...

I may have posted this before, cannot find it now, but, this is the way I do it.
Espresso table by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr
A special table, installed with electrical outlets below, so i can have my espresso, cappuccino, or any other special coffee. The equipment is held in place during transport by nets designed to hold gear on a motorcycle. Additionally, as I can grind my coffee to different sizes, I have a French press, small Bialetti 2 cup espresso maker (one cup for me), and I can make Turkish coffee on the stovetop.

And, if anyone is at the International in Farmington, if i am not out taking photos in the morning, I will be happy to have anyone come by for a coffee.

With all this stuff for coffee in my trailer, there is no room for food, but what the heck, if you drink enough coffee who needs food
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:45 AM   #378
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Back in the late sixtys and early seventys we had a couple of what we called coffee houses near the Kent State campus. Good coffee, black beans and rice and someone playing guitar in the corner. My God that was a long time ago. Sorry for the hijack. Peace,jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #379
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Late 60's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Back in the late sixtys and early seventys we had a couple of what we called coffee houses near the Kent State campus. Good coffee, black beans and rice and someone playing guitar in the corner. My God that was a long time ago. Sorry for the hijack. Peace,jim
Gosh, I was thinking about the early 60's...in a classmates basement apartment, coffee, other items, and music..... then Milwaukee in 1965, and finally NC in late 60's....

Excuse me, I now have to go find my "I have fallen and can't get up" button.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:09 AM   #380
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I forgot about all the smoke in these places! Not like today, at least in Florida. I haven't been up! like I was in those days for years and years.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote