Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2015, 11:21 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Airstream Camp Menus and Recipes

Since we started camping with our Airstream last year, I find my OCD for organization extends into my Airstream lifestyle. Although we love to sample the local farm markets, fish vendors and community specialities while traveling, organizing some camp menus and recipes simplifies the challenges of compact pantry and refrigerator in the Airstream galley.

Share your favorite camp menus ( categorize entries as Camp Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner), include recipes if you care to, or list your favorite "non-perishable" meals which are great for camping.

Here is one of our favorite CAMP DINNERS:

Grilled Fish Tacos

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: 2 - 4

Flour Tortillas for Serving
Ingredients for the Fish:
1 pound wild Alaskan salmon fillets, Mahi Mahi or Swordfish
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper

Ingredients for the Salsa:
2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 small red onion, diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 small jalapeño, finely diced (use the whole chile if you prefer more heat)
Juice of 1 lime
 1/2 + a dash of sea salt

Ingredients for the "Slaw" Garnish:
Finely sliced purple cabbage
 or other cabbage
Fresh lime juice
1 - 2 Tbsp. olive oil
Cilantro

Steps to Success:

The Tacos
To make the spice rub, mix together the paprika, chipotle, cumin, sea salt and pepper in small bowl. Rub generously over both sides of the fish. This can be made up to one day ahead. It will save a lot of cooking mess at the campsite!
Ideally, the fish should cook over a hot fire whose flame is starting to die down, so that you don't char the fish. If using charcoal briquets, follow the same instruction. In a pan, cook the fillet over medium heat.
While you're waiting for your coals to be ready, prepare the salsa. Combine the cherry tomatoes with the diced onion, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice and sea salt. Mix thoroughly to combine and set aside until ready to use.
When the fire is ready, cook the fish for about 4-5 minutes per side, being careful to not disturb the salmon while it cooks. Depending on the thickness of the fillet, it may need slightly more or less time. Be mindful of this when cooking, and adjust cooking time accordingly. Let the grilled fish rest for about five minutes before serving.
While the grilled fish rests, warm your tortillas in aluminum foil over the fire.
To serve, flake the salmon with a fork. Build the taco by layering grilled fish, cabbage slaw, salsa and cheese (optional). Serve with lime and cilantro on the side.

FAVORITE NON-PERISHABLE MEAL READY TO EAT (MRE)

Barillo Three Cheese Tortellini
Jar Julienne Sun Dried Tomatoes (packed in olive oil)
Small can Artichoke Hearts ( packed in water)

Chicken of Sea Jumbo Lump Crabmeat 2 cans
Old Bay Seasoning
***Options: Sautéed with fresh lemon and butter or make crab cakes or crab melts

Bear Creek Soup Mixes - Minestrone our favorite ( only need water but can add fresh veggies and browned loose sausage)
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Fridge always has some kielbassa sausage. Jiffy corn bread mix is always in the pantry. Chop up some sausage add a can of beans and corn bread and happy happy. Mre is chunky chicken ala King.
We brown and freeze hamburger at home. Add to a can of spaghetti sauce and boil up the spaghetti=job done. Add to 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of V8 and chopped pepper and onion = unstuffed peppers casserole. Add to Mr. Noodles and another MRE.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Because I still work, when I make spaghetti, stuffed peppers or chili, I always make a BIG pot and put it into smaller freeezer bags, label, date and freeze. I prepare hamburgers ahead of time, season them, form into patties and freeze them in packs of 2. I will normally buy a whole beef tenderloin and cut them into filets and bag them up in pairs. The baggies are easy to transport, perfect portion size for the two of us and it's just a matter of preparing sides to go with to with them. On pork tenderloins, I cut them in half. Which chicken, I will usually marinate and throw into baggies. Mac and Cheese is a great side dish that can be made up in large portions ahead of time and put in small foil pans that can be baked or cooked on a grill and then throw the pan away. I also love throwing a boston butt in a crock pot ahead of time, pulling the pork when cooked and falling apart, add barbecue sauce. Bag it up too! Great for heating up and having for lunch or dinner.

Laura & Tom
Old 10-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Here's my go to non- perishable recipes:

Mexican chicken soup
2 can chicken broth
2 cans tomatoes with green chilies
Handful of rice ( either cooked or leftover)
Handful of frozen corn
1/2 - 1 pkg Perdue cooked chicken tenders
Top with Mexican shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips or those colored tortilla strips
Fresh cilantro if I have it

Pesto pasta:
Cheese tortellini
Barilla pesto sauce ( thawed)
Leftover vegetables

Can be eaten cold the next day
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
pot of chili: 1pkg (20oz.) fresh ground turkey, 1/2 lb. fresh hot and spice pork sausage, 1/2 lb. lean ground beef, sautee until cooked and drain fat. Then in a large crock pot put meats and: 1 large onion chopped, cloves of 1 whole garlic bulb chopped, 1/2 red pepper chopped, drain and add to crock pot all beans: 2 cans red beans, 2 cans black beans, 1 can garbanzo beans, add to crock pot: 2 reg. cans of chopped tomatoes, 1 can tomatoes w green chili's, rinse cans into mixture w white wine or 1/2 c white wine. 1 c. chicken stock, 1/2 c. low salt V8, 1 TBSP Real Mexican dry and ground Chili's (no additives) or to taste. It may or may not need more tomatoes. Of course you can add anything you want to your chili. I let it simmer all afternoon and then when cooled, pack it into Glad plastic containers sized for 2 lunches in ea. container.

We roast on rotisserie 2 whole chickens prepped and clean filled w oranges and lemons cut into halves, squeezing a little juice into the cavity. We use a jerk seasoning on the outside of the chickens before they get trussed. Takes about 2 hours depending on temp (we roast at around 325) and size of chickens. Use a thermometer for accuracy to make sure they get to proper temp. After they are finished and well rested we remove them from the rotisserie skewer and cut them into quarters, then pack in 2 quarters per pkg for each meal and freezing.

We also smoke chicken, ribs and pork roasts in large amounts, divide and pkg for a dinner, freeze.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I'm getting hungry! Question, is there a digital repository of Airstream recipes? How do you store these things?
Old 10-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Scroll down in Stella's kitchen until you hit Sherri's cook book. it is a drop box repository of more goodies than you'll have time to discover. Go through it until you find the link.https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dv77a27ab...4yiAsqoRa?dl=0
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:38 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Beaufort , South Carolina
You all have some great recipes to share. When I actually own my own Airstream I'll know where to go for suggestions and ideas. Thank you. Carolyn
SIWELC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I'm going too try some of them at home They sound delish!
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Texas Parks & Wildlife Recipe Contest Winner

This recipe won the Texas state parks contest a couple of years ago. My family loves it. One batch of this and a crockpot full of pinto beans fed ten people last spring when we camped at inks Lake. It works almost as well at home in a big crockpot as it does in a Dutch oven. The notes at the bottom are my additions. I use a few more diced green chilis than called for, but we like them. I just buy the small bag of spinach at the store and use it all.

I don't know Victoria Serna, but I thank her every time I take a bite of this.

Enjoy!

Dutch Oven Green Chile, Chicken & Spinach Enchiladas

recipe submitted by Victoria Serna from Denton, TX

Ingredients

16 corn tortillas 
3 large chicken breasts, shredded 
3-4 cups spinach (or kale, chard, greens), 
1 pkg Neufchatel cheese [similar to cream cheese] (softened), 
1 can diced green chiles, 
1 28oz can green chile enchilada sauce 
1/2 cup shredded cheese, 
1 large zip-lic bag, 
1 12-inch dutch oven
At Home Steps:
• Cook your chicken in any method you choose so it can be shredded. I usually bake or boil it, but I have tried cooking it in a pan on the stove. Baking it makes it much easier to shred, in my opinion. Shred the chicken and set aside.
• Place a pan over the stove on medium-low heat. Add the shredded chicken, Neufchatel cheese, spinach (chard, kale, or other veggies), and diced green chiles to a pan.
• Cook on medium-low heat until all of the cheese is melted and the spinach is wilted, usually 5-7 minutes. Let the mixture cool. (Tip: add the cheese in small chunks)
• Once mixture is cool, use a spatula to put all of it in a gallon-size zip-loc bag. You can easily put this in your cooler until you're ready for dinner at the campsite. You'll need to take the other items so you can make the meal at the campsite.
• Don't forget: the can of sauce, a can-opener, a dutch-oven (been there, forgot that), shredded cheese, tongs, a spatula, a lighter, charcoal (or wood), and a leather glove for handing hot tools. Take the tools you need to have a comfortable meal!
At the Campsite Steps:
• Light enough coals to heat your dutch oven to approximately 350 degrees. We have a 12-inch dutch oven and usually heat enough to have about 14 coals on top and 10 on bottom, give or take.
• Heat the dutch oven on the bottom coals for a few seconds and then pour some sauce straight from the can into the bottom of the oven.
• Place a layer of tortillas at the bottom of the pan, overlapping them as needed. Spread a layer of your chicken and spinach mixture on the first layer of tortillas. Repeat this step twice to have more tortillas in the "casserole" or do this step once to have a more creamy version.
• Cover the enchiladas with a layer of tortillas and pour the remaining sauce into the dutch oven. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
• Place the lid on the dutch oven, add the coals on top, and cook for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted. For best results, turn your dutch oven 1/4 turn every 5-7 minutes for more even cooking.
• Use your spatula to serve the enchiladas, and enjoy

NOTES:

7 ounce can plus one 4 ounce can of chopped green chili

10 ounce bag of spinach
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:42 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Wow, guess I'm lazy! Great recipes though and must try when I get time! Here's one that keeps it really simple and is great to feed quite a few - put chicken breasts in crockpot - add jar or two of your favorite salsa - start with just one to maybe 6 breasts - cover and cook on low for maybe 6 hours or until chicken is done. Shred and use for taco filling etc. even better the next day.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:44 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Oops meant to clarify use one jar to about six chicken breasts. You can eyeball proportions - just don't want dry chicken. You can not mess this up - enjoy!
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We developed a collection of one pot meals as "road food", using a combination of fresh ingredients and canned, which preserve limited frig space.

A variation on karenjude's recipe, which can be increased easily if you need to feed a crowd:

Chicken Tortilla Spup

1-2 chicken breasts, cooked in a quart of chicken broth, then pulled apart with forks

Add:

2 cans RoTel tomatoes with green chiles
1-2 cans black beans, drained
1 can corn

Bring to boil, then simmer 20 minutes or so to blend favors. Top with queso cheese, crumbled.

Serve with corn chips or soft tortillas to dip in the soup.

Maggie
Old 10-20-2015, 05:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A favorite of Doug's:

Potatoes & Eggs

1 large baking potato, scrubbed, quartered and sliced, cooked in a non stick skillet with a little butter, some sliced onion and plenty of salt and pepper.

When done, whisk desired number of eggs, pure over and cook til done.

Voila! Breakfast or supper.

Maggie
Old 10-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
I buy the Ling Ling chicken pot stickers from Costco and a bag of stir-fry frozen vegetables (I like the bag which includes snow peas, water chestnuts, pea pods, etc.).

I got this recipe from a Costco cookbook and have made it many times at home. I actually made it once in the trailer, and we had a nice lunch. I grated the ginger and chopped the scallions at home and put it in a container so I didn't have to do that in the trailer.

The soup is yummy! Enjoy!

This recipe has been halved from the original recipe:

Ling' Ling's Chicken Potsticker Soup
1 thawed packet Potsticker Sauce (included in bag)
2 Tbsp cornstarch
6 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
20 frozen Ling Ling Chicken Potstickers
4 cups of frozen mixed vegetables
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp chopped scallions
Salt & Pepper to taste

Mix potsticker sauce with cornstarch; set aside.
In a large pot combine the broth and water and bring to boil. Add frozen potstickers, then boil again.
Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add frozen veggies, ginger and scallion; cook 4 minutes.
Add sauce mixture and bring to a simmer.
Season with s&p.
Makes 4 servings.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We had this for breakfast last Sunday. It was really good!

Apple French Toast with Whiskey Butter Sauce.

I cooked on the picnic table with my 2 burner Coleman stove.

Peel and cut into chunks 2 apples.
Add about 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon
Set aside.

Cut up 1/2 stale baguette into slices and cut slices in half so pieces are bite sized.
Whisk together 2 eggs, a splash of orange juice and milk, and a dash of cinnamon in a bowl or large cup.
Add bread to soak up egg mixture

In 1 frying pan add 3 tablespoons butter and the apple /sugar mixture. Cook on medium heat until apples start to soften for 3-5 minutes. Add a large splash of whiskey for flavor and continue to cook out the alcohol. Keep heat low.

In a second frying pan, melt 3 tablespoons butter and add the bread/egg mixture and cook until golden, turning as needed.

Serve the french toast with the apply cinnamon sauce on it. Great with bacon and hot coffee!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Earlier in the summer when our home grown tomatoes were plentiful, we were making capreses salad regularly. That, some crusty sour dough bread and a good bottle of red. Doesn't get much better than that.

Now it's Dungeness crab season here in Oregon. Stop at a coastal fresh fish market, buy a crab, have them shell it for you and you are minutes away from a crab Louie. Some good cheese and wine, doesn't get much better than that.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:56 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Earlier in the summer when our home grown tomatoes were plentiful, we were making capreses salad regularly. That, some crusty sour dough bread and a good bottle of red. Doesn't get much better than that.

Now it's Dungeness crab season here in Oregon. Stop at a coastal fresh fish market, buy a crab, have them shell it for you and you are minutes away from a crab Louie. Some good cheese and wine, doesn't get much better than that.

Mike

Great entries....keep the coming!

Mike,
Your entry with "local" Dungeness crab sparked a great memory of our extended trip to coastal
Maine this summer. We spent a few days in Freeport, ME at Winslow County Campground right on Casco Bay. We had two days of heavy rain but spirits were not dampened with great shopping excursions to LL Bean (3 miles from CG)! One day heavy fog and heavy rains led to getting laundry done, more LL Bean shopping, groceries at local Shaws where we bought three fresh lobsters which they steamed while we shopped and later enjoyed with fresh local corn and homemade coleslaw, French bread and bottle Pinot Grigio! What a great way to spend a dress day! We had a whole picked lobster left for homemade lobster rolls next day!

Another Seafood favorite of ours is almost another MRE

NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER
Pantry goods:
4 cans Gorton Clams (we like 2 chopped and two minced)
Small new red skin potatoes
Chopped onion and celery
6-8 cooked crisp bacon crumbled

PREPARATION
Cook bacon or salt pork, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fat has rendered and the pork has started to brown, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove pork from fat, and set aside.

Add the chopped onion and celery to the fat, and cook, stirring frequently, until they are soft but not brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in potatoes and continue cooking until the potatoes have just started to soften, approximately 5 minutes. Add enough clam broth to just cover the potatoes. Season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Partly cover the pot, and simmer gently until potatoes are tender, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. When potatoes are tender, add cream and stir in chopped clams and reserved bacon. Let come to a simmer, and remove from heat. (Do not let chowder come to a full boil.)

The chowder should be allowed to sit for a while to cure. Reheat it to a bare simmer before serving, then garnish with chopped parsley. Serve with oyster crackers, French or Sourdough bread.
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote