Old 03-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Wink Medication for emergency travel

Never let your medication supply get to empty when home.
Always have enough for at least 3 days in case you have to leave in a rush.
Ditto for any pet medications.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:57 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy Q View Post
Never let your medication supply get to empty when home.
Always have enough for at least 3 days in case you have to leave in a rush.
Ditto for any pet medications.
One reason why I get my scrips filled at Walgreen's. No matter where you go, you can find a Walgreen's nearby and get your scrips filled while on the road. But most pharmacies allow refills five days before the current refill runs out, and it's a good idea to take advantage of it. Also, your doctor may have samples of certain prescription medications that he can give away. A seven-day sample pack of Crestor (for example) combined with your prescription means you can refill while you still have a 12-day supply on hand, or else refill the scrip up to a week late if necessary.

Also on the subject of prescriptions, it is also beneficial to have a copy of your eyeglasses/contact lens prescription with you. If you break your glasses or lose a lens on the road, having the scrip with you means you can get them replaced without having to see an unfamiliar optometrist; just take the scrip to Lenscrafters or wherever. An eyeglasses scrip will generally be considered valid for about three years; after that you'll need another prescription even if your vision hasn't changed.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #17
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
Bring fishing and hunting gear - even a good slingshot and ammo is good for small game. Learn to identify wild plant food and medicine sources. Safe drinking water is the most important necessity to have access to.
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

I won't talk about Zombie Apocolypse

An october ice storm crippled the Northeast a few years back. I was without power for about ten days, then a report said it would be another week before I got power. Actually I got power a few hours later. Banks and grocery stores were out of commission. People were stealing gas from garages, rather than wait in line. Trees were down blocking the roads. There was nowhere to run

Anyway, I use my trailer as an escape pod, on a short term basis. The house is really better suited for longer term emergencies. I still had hot water, and a fireplace. I could have rigged up my furnace to work.

Take stock of what you will have and what you will need.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Anyway, I use my trailer as an escape pod, on a short term basis. The house is really better suited for longer term emergencies. I still had hot water, and a fireplace. I could have rigged up my furnace to work.
I guess that's a difference in definition. I don't see an "escape pod" as being a "stay-at-home-but-in-the-driveway" option. To me, the word "escape" means "get out of Dodge."

I guess it depends on which natural disaster you're preparing for. In my case, it's hurricanes, and modern meteorology gives me plenty of advance notice to decide between bug-out and hunker-down. However, most other natural disasters aren't so considerate, and you might have no choice but to hunker-down for them.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Like Protagonist and others, we live in hurricane country (on a barrier island just for that greater sense of danger). If nature calls, the silver ark leaves for points north, south or inland. Our generators are tri-fuel, and 40 gal of fresh holds us for long enough to make a plan to return. We stock about a weeks worth of canned food in the AS for trips anyway and figure we would have time to add fresh items before evacuation, buy food in whatever safe place we shelter, and plan a return. Once home the saga could continue... A damaged and unoccupiable house? A protracted wait for power to come back? Heat, a tropical storm, more rain??? We envision the AS could be a shelter to allow us to stay on our property in safety and comfort using gas or LP to power generators while we deal with insurance, roof repairs, whatever. Food is only one element in that plan. Fuel and drinkable water are as important to us feeling ready.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #21
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
One thing I do keep in my car trunk (and truck box) especially when traveling are some Heater Meals They are good for 5 years or so and have come in handy more than once when getting stuck somewhere there weren't any stores open, or in the one case it snowed and nothing nearby was open, roads weren't really clear enough to drive on. They are better than MRE's.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Some good responses from everyone, thank you.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #23
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Yeh-- fruitcake is a great emergency food because it is a dense source of calories and few people would be tempted to eat it unless there wasn't much else.

Nutritionally and in terms of shelf-life, I'd go for raw nuts (Costco's are good and fresh,) peanuts, a granola or familia cereal,and either canned/tetra-pac milk or soymilk; or the dry powder to reconstitute, if you can stand it. These would supply a decent amount of protein, need no refrigeration, and will easily stay edible for a year. Water and meds, for sure! Full propane tanks. Maybe some backpacker's freeze-dried meals that can be reconstituted with boiling water poured on them. But you can make your own, using Minute Rice and a few veggies and/or meat dried in a home dehydrator. You could put this stuff in the AS cupboard, and just forget about it.

If the above don't sound highly appetizing, that's almost the point-- it should be there if you need it.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:48 PM   #24
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Yeh-- fruitcake is a great emergency food because it is a dense source of calories and few people would be tempted to eat it unless there wasn't much else.

Nutritionally and in terms of shelf-life, I'd go for raw nuts (Costco's are good and fresh,) peanuts, a granola or familia cereal,and either canned/tetra-pac milk or soymilk; or the dry powder to reconstitute, if you can stand it. These would supply a decent amount of protein, need no refrigeration, and will easily stay edible for a year. Water and meds, for sure! Full propane tanks. Maybe some backpacker's freeze-dried meals that can be reconstituted with boiling water poured on them. But you can make your own, using Minute Rice and a few veggies and/or meat dried in a home dehydrator. You could put this stuff in the AS cupboard, and just forget about it.

If the above don't sound highly appetizing, that's almost the point-- it should be there if you need it.
And you ca use as large "Lego block" before and after consumption. DAMHIK..

But you are right.. I have some very good one from a Monastery up North of the M.D. Line.

Yes Peanuts, pecans, cashews, etc. check out "Austin nuts". They have many flavors to change the boredom.

I will neither confirm nor deny protective measures. What they don't know can't hurt you.

The "Wise" pre packed sounds good. About similar to REI. Except at REI you can make your own selections. Without buying a crate.

MRE are good because you will "lock up" in most cases. The one-dose Tabasco are indispensable.

Adult and baby wipes.

Hormel meals. Store without fridge. There are red beans and rice... Etc. yummy but need Microwave or ability to boil water. To heat the bag/container. You can save the water for other items...it will be sanitized. The meals are in a small tray so no plates needed.

Hand sanitizer. (Great firestarter)

Fire start (fat wood), steel wool, cotton batting and a couple 9volt batteries. PM if you need to know How to use. Also save the wax from all your "used" Candles.

Fix a flat. Compressed air.

Water purification system and a collapsible water storage bag.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:01 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I would recommend considering Mountain House foods, which are dehydrated and vacuum sealed meals. Just add boiling water and seal the bag for two minutes. They work very well, and in general, taste very good. When I hunt in Alaska, we use a jetboil to heat water, and the Mountain House foods are the entree for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Hibby

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-20-2015, 12:12 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I recently bought a months supply of long term storage food from Wise for the trailer. Living in a storm area we can never tell when either food or cash might be in short supply. The Airstream is my escape capsule if it is necessary to leave town in a hurry. What are others thoughts on this?
And, some of the freeze dried foods are not only convenient, but also quite palatable. PM for our choices.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Today the average response time nationwide of a LEO coming to your aide after you call 911 is about 20 minutes, therefore, if a crisis happens, some form of personal protection is just as important as food, water etc. as it will most likely take much longer for help to arrive. Ones personal protections does not have to be an actual weapon if one is not comfortable with such. A can of wasp spray will immobilize any person for up to several minutes if sprayed in the face and eyes. Does no permanent damage, but will stop them.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:16 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I recently bought a months supply of long term storage food from Wise for the trailer. Living in a storm area we can never tell when either food or cash might be in short supply. The Airstream is my escape capsule if it is necessary to leave town in a hurry. What are others thoughts on this?
Something like this?
Augason Farms 30-Day Food Storage Emergency All-in-One Pail - Sam's Club=