Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
For anyone wanting to start or add to their Dutch Oven collection, this is a VERY good price and has free shipping!

Lodge Logic Seasoned 2 Quart, 8 Inch Camp Dutch Oven - Specialty Cookware at Pans
Old 03-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
For anyone wanting to start or add to their Dutch Oven collection, this is a VERY good price and has free shipping!

Lodge Logic Seasoned 2 Quart, 8 Inch Camp Dutch Oven - Specialty Cookware at Pans
It must have been a nice price! It's out of stock!

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #143
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Thumbs up

Here is a good place to shop for that Dutch Oven that works best for you. I have a 12" deep, and an 8". The small one works great when i go it alone.

Lodge Cast Iron Cookware - America's Original Cookware - South Pittsburg, TN USA
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #144
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Adding on.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Jim & Rod,

Sorry you missed it----but we got one! Lodge has those for $55 as I recall, plus s&h!! Quite the deal, I snapped it up. It has already arrived at home, can't wait to try it out when we return in a few weeks. Some of the problems we have had with the larger one (burning) is probably because we are not filling it to the capacity needed for the size and number of briquets. But there's just the two of us most of the time. I expect we will use the smaller one more often.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #146
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
Hey anyone out there want to get an Air Stream DOG going this summer or early fall? We could compare our cooking skills and help others that might want to know more about how to clean and care for their equipment. We could even make it a rally for other Air Streamers. I would even start it. If you are interested let me know. I live in Dandridge, TN. We have campgrounds all around here. I can cook using a Dutch Oven and it is edible.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That sounds interesting, but would depend on when it occurred. We are in central Illinois and will be gone east from late July-Nov 1.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Just plum tickled!

Well - I did my first ever dutch oven dinner and it turned out really good!

Earlier today, I called 2 of my neighbors and asked them if they wanted to be a part of a culinary experiment. They said sure - they were up for it. I tried Byron's Dutch Oven Recipes - Calico Chicken as my first Dutch dinner and it turned out great! I was wondering if it was going to work and sure enough it did. When they saw the whole set-up with the briquettes, the DO table and the DO itself they were all wondering what was going to happen. (Quite frankly, so was I). It was pretty successful and our guests enjoyed the treat!

My confidence level is pretty good right now!

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:14 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good for you! Glad it was successful. I have bookmarked Byron's website and am going through it---really wonderful. I picked up a couple of years ago a book entitled "Camp Cooking" by the National Museum of Forest Service History, which is also good and has a lot of other great information in it. Everything is Dutch Oven cooking, including outdoor ovens and digging the pits/burying your oven in coals for the day---not quite ready for that. Have fun!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #150
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
Going to the Oregon Coast(Beverly Beach State Park) for spring break with the grandkids. Planning on DO cooking two meals a day for a week. I will try to remember to use the camera. Will post the Good, Not-so-good and the throw aways when we get back.
Ted
davenpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:41 AM   #151
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That will be fun! Our grandkids love monkey bread made in the Dutch Oven. We are doing a long weekend family thing in May, where grandma & grandpa will do most of the cooking, in the Dutch ovens.

We visited the Lodge Factory store off I-40 in Tennessee yesterday, really pretty cool place, there is a huge Coleman store and Smoky Mountain Knifeworks (which have much more than knives) right across the road. The Lodge store also carries all the Rome cast iron pie-irons, and we picked up a waffle iron to add to our collection.

It is a good idea to Google cast iron cookware, when ordering online, as there are sites that offer Lodge cookware sometimes at very good sale prices. We got a grill pan two years ago half-price, with free shipping. Lodge direct prices are rather high, we think.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:15 AM   #152
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
beavercreek , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenpow View Post
Going to the Oregon Coast(Beverly Beach State Park) for spring break with the grandkids. Planning on DO cooking two meals a day for a week. I will try to remember to use the camera. Will post the Good, Not-so-good and the throw aways when we get back.
Ted
We had a blast even though the weather was not so desirable. We were able to get some great meals made. Dad was even able to bake a perfect double layer cake.

Wilson (son of Ted)
wilsontami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:48 AM   #153
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wow, a double layer cake! I am really impressed! Our 8" Dutch oven is adorable, and we picked up a carry/storage bag for it. Can't wait to try it out.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:14 AM   #154
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
We stopped by the lodge store on our way home from North Carolina yesterday, and I picked up my first ever Dutch oven....we got a good deal on the 14" 8 qt shallow set...and then i picked up the deep 14" from the dent--section.....can't wait to try it out.
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #155
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
I went to the Corn Bread Festival last weekend. It was in South Pittsburg, TN. This is also where the Lodge factory is. After touring the plant we went into the main store. I was looking for a 12" deep. I found one but the price was $79.00. A little steep so I started looking around in the rest of the store. In the other room was the same oven for $49.99. A second but I could not tell what was wrong with it. So I bought 2 at the $49.00 price. We also bought a few more things. I also got to meet Johnny Nix.

I just returned from camping with the East TN Unit in Walland, TN. If you want a great lid lifter you should go to the camping and hiking shop at the far end of Townsend [close to the National park entrance]. Don't buy your Dutch Oven there, the prices are really high. A 12' Deep was $99.00 and I bought 2 for that price.

Maybe I'll see some of you at the Springstream rally in Hiawassee, Georgia, on May 15, 2009.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:55 AM   #156
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have found that googling Lodge Cast Iron turns up many places who sell it, often on sale and with free shipping, worth the time to look if you are ordering something.

We have used our 8" several times now, and it is the perfect size for the two of us. A jar of Cracker Barrel cobbler filling with a topping is just enough for dessert one night and breakfast the next morning. Pillsbury crescent roll dough with a little cinnamon sugar on top makes a nice, easy topping, everything bakes up in 20-30 minutes.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:18 AM   #157
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
I have had a few people email me about putting together a Dutch Oven Air Stream rally. So here goes.
Date: October 2 & 3, 2009
Where: Ripplin’ Water Campgrounds
Sevierville, TN

Ripplin’ Waters Campground is located 5 miles off I-40 at Exit 407. I will see if I can get a few sites on the river reserved for us.

Keep an eye on this sight for more details. I am trying to learn how to make a thread so we can have only the DOG traffic.

Tell everyone you know the DOG[ Dutch Oven Gathering]

Jim
Old 07-13-2009, 06:07 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We would so love to be there, will be in Pennsylvania at that time! Have a great time and cook some wonderful things for us, we will try to be at the next one!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #159
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
I have had a few people email me about putting together a Dutch Oven Air Stream rally. So here goes.
Date: October 2 & 3, 2009
Where: Ripplin’ Water Campgrounds
Sevierville, TN

Ripplin’ Waters Campground is located 5 miles off I-40 at Exit 407. I will see if I can get a few sites on the river reserved for us.

Keep an eye on this sight for more details. I am trying to learn how to make a thread so we can have only the DOG traffic.

Tell everyone you know the DOG[ Dutch Oven Gathering]

Jim

Jim,

Sounds like a fun weekend. I recommend you start a thread for this and make sure and get it on the rally calender so that it gets maximum exposure. If I am still in TN at that point, I may head over myself.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ta daaaaaa!! Bread in the Dutch Oven today, no pan nor trivet used, it did not burn and is delicious!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2374.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	84750   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2376.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	464.5 KB
ID:	84751  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2378.jpg