Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Presque Isle , Michigan
Question Convection/Micro Oven or not??

Leaning toward the puchase of a new 20 foot Safari. Comes with a standard oven and no microwave. Decision is: 1) purchase a stand alone microwave and lose counter space; or 2) upgrade to the optional Convection oven / microwave oven combination.

For those of you with experience with the combination oven how well does it work? Is it worth the upgrade cost?? I would prefer not to lose the counter space and depending on cost will most likely opt for the combo but don't want to find out it doesn't work all that well....Thanks for taking the time to respond....
outthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Depends on how you're going to use the trailer. Convection ovens work great, until you're boondocking without hookups. The conventional oven works everywhere. We have conventional ovens in both trailers with standard microwaves.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Depends on where you camp and how you cook

Roger has it right. If you like to boondock without electricity, you have to give up your baking abilities with the convection microwave. So look at where you expect to camp and what do you eat when camping? If you eat out a lot then maybe just a micro/convect...
2 cents time aren't you glad you asked??..

Personally I don't care for the taste of convection cooked stuff. It comes out ok. I married a Tarheel and we have biscuits for breakfast while camping...
We started out with an Airstream with a propane oven and a microwave. Just used the micro to reheat things. Now our newer trailer has a convec/micro so we had to go out and buy a little Coleman propane oven to bake in, cause we like to boondock and frankly baking is better in an oven.

The little propane ovens take up interior storage space but if you cook outdoors like many of us do it won't clog up counter space...
Old 10-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
We have the optional convection microwave. Honestly, I don't quite yet understand it. I should give more time to reading the manual -- I cook and bake a lot but this is a new world to me. My wife does pretty good roasting good hearth breads or sourdoughs, so I'm happy. We tend to cook outside on a grill with an LP line from the Airstream's tanks to the grill. You read all sorts of styles -- boondocking vs plug-ins. Some folks never use their ovens. Biscuits!! Steph, ever try Pioneer mix from San Antone -- I grew up on that and carry it everywhere (though wouldn't begin to try it in the c-microwave). If I'm camping for another purpose (visiting kids, fishing, or bicycling), I do like an electric hookup. Other times I love to be more primitive and get away from it all.

We were boondocking in September and wanted to use the microwave. I have a supposedly quiet Honda eu2000i generator with a very humane eco-mode and a somewhat higher rpm standard mode. When we used the convection feature a lot of watts were required and the generator responded in kind and absolutely roared. I truly don't know that a Coleman or Generac would make any more noise (though I suspect they actually would). Power gets noisy -- no two ways about it.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Smile Something new to try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Steph, ever try Pioneer mix from San Antone -- I grew up on that and carry it everywhere
I read somewhere that Pioneer mix was what was used for Popeye's biscuits with sour cream. I'll be sure to try some! Thanks.

Outthere--Here's a link to the type of portable oven we bought--works well and you can get a better price shopping around. Its small but if you are sold on the convection/micro oven its a way to bake while boondocking without a generator. Good luck with your decision, how fun!!
Old 10-10-2006, 09:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Your call

I agree with 85MH325 as a basic guideline. We went with the micro/convection in place of the gas oven and find it useful. We did not want to use additional space for a stand alone micro. For us, we would probably not have used a gas oven since we are not into baking. It really all depends on your style of cooking and your camping desires. The right answer is your answer.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:55 AM   #7
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by outthere
Leaning toward the puchase of a new 20 foot Safari. Comes with a standard oven and no microwave. Decision is: 1) purchase a stand alone microwave and lose counter space; or 2) upgrade to the optional Convection oven / microwave oven combination.

For those of you with experience with the combination oven how well does it work? Is it worth the upgrade cost?? I would prefer not to lose the counter space and depending on cost will most likely opt for the combo but don't want to find out it doesn't work all that well....Thanks for taking the time to respond....
You just can't beat an oven for home made Pizza while boondocking. I've thought about convection but boondock and knowing I can whip-up any number of things in the oven is attractive. Also, while cooking, it takes the chill out of the air on cool evenings.

Congrats on your new purchase!
Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:14 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Presque Isle , Michigan
Smile

Interesting....I did not realize that the convection oven required a hard hookup to operate...We do plan on doing a significant amount of boondocking so for us it looks like we'll have to go with a conventional oven and a stand alone microwave.....

I'm glad I asked cause I'm not noted for reading the manual before I have to so I can just see us in some deserted spot trying to bake some cookies and finding out that the extension cord will need to be 25 miles long!!

As usual, thanks for the responses. You guys are great!!
outthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Our '06 25'FB came with the convec/mw. We both would like a conventional oven, but don't want to give up the space for a separate mw. It's a compromise. Besides, between the cooktop and the outside grill (dutch ovens are GREAT), we don't lack for anything to eat. Your decision.
BTW, anyone know of a good convec cookbook that has the time conversions in it? Send email to arana1st@aol.com if you do. Thanks.
Scott
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by outthere
Interesting....I did not realize that the convection oven required a hard hookup to operate...We do plan on doing a significant amount of boondocking so for us it looks like we'll have to go with a conventional oven and a stand alone microwave.....

I'm glad I asked cause I'm not noted for reading the manual before I have to so I can just see us in some deserted spot trying to bake some cookies and finding out that the extension cord will need to be 25 miles long!!

As usual, thanks for the responses. You guys are great!!
If I was going to be doing a lot of boondocking I'd have a generator, and with that (assuming it was one with enough power) you could run your convection microwave.

We have the convection microwave option, and although we're always using the microwave, we rarely use the convection part to bake in. However, since my wife doesn't bake much anyway, we don't miss the oven, and having the extra drawers where the oven would be otherwise is nice for storage.

In any case, the convection microwave is a pricely option.

John
Old 10-11-2006, 08:53 AM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We've had both types of ovens with the latest being a convection/microwave. We really don't boondock so the lack of power doesn't enter into the equation.

The biggest issue I have with the convection/microwave coversion oven is that fact that the turntable continually moves and at least in the 2004 model, there was no turntable shut off switch. This limits your pan size and an oblong pan is a no no. From our standpoint when we had an oven it was rarely used (it really was used for pots and pans storage), and in the current trailer, the convection is occasionally used.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Some folks never use their ovens. Biscuits!! Steph, ever try Pioneer mix from San Antone -- I grew up on that and carry it everywhere (though wouldn't begin to try it in the c-microwave).
During last weekend's unit rally, we ate lunch in the restaurant at the Pioneer factory. They serve breakfast all day and I couldn't resist buiscuits and gravy, knowing that if it is good anywhere, it should be absolutely supurb there.

It was! The biscuits were so light that they needed the gravy to keep them pn the plate.

For anyone visiting San Antonio, I can attest that Pioneer Mills is a great place to eat lunch and their little museum and shop are worth a visit.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #13
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
another conventional vote

We ordered our 2007 20' with the conventional oven; we figured we will be seeking out dry camping and away from everything more than not. We also liked the idea of a warm oven on a chilly night.

Even so, we're on the lookout for a small, low-wattage microwave to optionally carry onboard. So far I've seen a 700W model, but too ugly to consider!

-jd.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:06 PM   #14
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Thumbs up We tried it, guess what our new camping biscuit mix is?

Quote:
Steph, ever try Pioneer mix from San Antone -- I grew up on that and carry it everywhere (though wouldn't begin to try it in the c-microwave).
Well Bob, Pioneer passed the Tarheel's biscuit test, so we're thankful for the tip. I was so glad to see it sold in the grocery stores up here in MI. Just wanted to share that even overcaffeinated Yankees from the Great Lakes regions can appreciate those Texas biscuits! I really like how well they came out. The container the mix comes in is perfect for the trailer's pantry (resealable, tall and narrow). Looks like you Texans know your biscuits! Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:55 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I have the convection Micro and would like to have the gas oven as well. I cannot bake without electricity. My honda EU2000 will run the microwave. One hearty little sucker. It survived being ejected from the truck. Checked it out this evening. It still works.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #16
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Gas for me. It's nice to be able to broil some parmesan over tomatoes, or heat some frozen appetizers without the need for big power.
We don't use a microwave at home, so we do not miss it while underway.
Last year, while on a trip with my brother, we used the convection oven in his rental rv to bake his birthday cake, and it seems to have worked great, just took some serious figuring out of the digital interface. The oven manual seemed bigger than the one for the entire coach.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
Well Bob, Pioneer passed the Tarheel's biscuit test, so we're thankful for the tip. I was so glad to see it sold in the grocery stores up here in MI. Just wanted to share that even overcaffeinated Yankees from the Great Lakes regions can appreciate those Texas biscuits! I really like how well they came out. The container the mix comes in is perfect for the trailer's pantry (resealable, tall and narrow). Looks like you Texans know your biscuits! Thanks for the tip.
Simple & easy as can be! FYI, I'd advised Steph that we just about won't have biscuits any more without slathering them with either lavender or chestnut honey (European sources only -- but unique!). The websites for Pioneer are https://www.chguenther.com/store/ and http://www.pioneermills.com/. The Buttermilk Biscuit & Baking Mix is my favorite.

Steph, is there any life left in pulling for the Tigers? 2-3 in the seventh ... unhh!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
We have the microwave/convection oven, which is great if you're hooked to power. But it would be nice to be able to bake while boondocking. Has anyone tried one of these Coleman folding ovens on their stove top?

http://tinyurl.com/ybm5oy
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:15 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
We have a Coleman oven that we used to use with our Coleman stove and it worked well. It basically works on any gas burner stove but we have never tried it inside a trailer. I believe that it would give off a great deal of heat.

When we bought our 30' Safari, we chose to go with the oven as we did some boondocking at the time. However, we ended up with a microwave as an additional unit which took up space that we could have used otherwise. When we ordered our current unit, we opted for the combo unit as we realized that 1) we used a microwave more than we used the oven, 2) we really didn't want the heat from the oven in the unit, and 3) we recovered some space.

Its a personal choice based on the type of camping and cooking the you do.
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:24 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
All the posts here mirror our experience/thoughts ... we bought our '06 Safari with the gas oven/no microwave. We've learned now, though, that the oven is difficult to light and my wife won't bother to try any more; the oven makes the trailer too hot in our Florida heat; and the places we go all have electric so we could operate a microwave and would use it more than the oven. So, our next unit (already craving a unit with a slide out) will have the convection/microwave. We mostly grill outside anyway. Just depends on your personal cooking needs.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote