Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
After a couple of visits to Jackson Center I was finally able to arrange my schedule to be there at 2 o'clock for the tour. We had a huge group but I still had a fantastic time. Don Ambros did a fantastic job of providing the information, I hope the company realizes what an asset a good employee is! There was several items that I noticed on the line that seemed like changes since I bought mine new back in 06.

-Looks like a nice gasket is being installed under the body at the rear bumper, should help with leakage.
- Lots of sealant everywhere. Behind the lower belt line trim there was tons of vulkem added.
- LED exterior lights, step lights really nice
- clear coat on cast pieces looks really heavy.
- New CNC cut out tool is super precision, all rivet holes are cut super clean, window holes and door holes all cut very nice. Maybe with such clean cuts the clear coat on the edges of cuts will be better preserved thus minimizing the filiform problem.
- it appears the frame paint is done really well, it looks painted well especially around welds etc.

All in all I was very impressed and the facility seemed quite busy. We were able to look at the current models on the end of the line and I saw several QA sheets that had noted items to correct as well as items checked off.

Look forward to going back to pick up my unit from the service center!
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #2

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
You want a new unit don't you?!
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
That's nice to know. We never made it to JC and now we live even farther away.

The water pump is much quieter than our 07 trailer. We have much better water pressure so showers are nicer. The porcelin toilet is better than the other one and quiet. the LEDs are much cooler than halogens. I like that the sliding plastic part of the screen door is gray instead of tan, it blends better.

Stuff I don't like comparing the 07 to our 12.... Our AC still leaks inside during humid weather just like the 07 did. The fabric accordion doors are gray, clashes with the warm tones of the serenity trailer, but then again the walls are aluminum.

That's it. We are only on day 11 of our new AS. We had no major problems with our 07 so if they are building them better now then great.
smhx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The led light by the step looks great and is a safety bonus. Those black steps are sure hard to see at night; I would have taken a bad step if it weren't for that light.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I probably would get a new unit if they offered a 30 foot bunk model again! Especially in SE trim,

Love my unit still though...!
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I ordered a 2012 28' International earlier this week, so thanks for this info. I'm planning a trip to JC in the next 10 days to see the process myself. I'm making a "home" for the AS in my backyard that'll have full hookups. Anticipation is sometimes the best part of anything, but in this case....
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote