Old 09-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #15
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We don't have an Airstream yet. Plan to change that status within the next few months.

We went to the RV Supershow in Tampa in 2012 to look at 5th wheels once we began to plan our future life as full-time RVers. We even had an appointment with a custom 5th wheel maker. But the first thing we saw when we walked into the main building was the Airstream display. For those who haven't attended, this is the first building you go into after entering the gates. The Airstreams are first, then come the million dollar plus Prevost buses.

We stopped and explored all of the Airstreams on display. They felt like home.

We proceeded to spend that day and the next looking at every 5th wheel on site. Not one felt comfortable to us and the custom builder acted like we were wasting his time. In a way, we were. We could not get the Airstreams off of our minds. We spent almost 2 hours sitting in the Classic 30, watching other people come in and out. We could tell who already owned an Airstream by what they looked at in the trailer and the comments they made. Talked with several of them and they made us feel very good about Airstream ownership. Plus, I was able to sit in the trailer for that long without getting a headache. I am very sensitive to off-gassing and could not get out of the 5th wheels fast enough.

Have our tow vehicle, Bessie the Freightliner, and we are taking her to Alumalina next weekend. We are going to stop at John's RV, South Carolina's new Airstream dealership, on the way up to look at a 2015 Flying Cloud 30fb. They are supposed to be getting a 2015 Classic in next month. Love the look of that model. We will then make the decision (Please spare the pro/con comments...We have done our research.)

Hope to have the house sold and be on the road in our rolling silver home by next spring.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #16
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Back in the '50's when I was a little kid, my aunt and uncle had an Airstream. One year (I was 10 years old), they took me to Yellowstone with them. My first time in a trailer, and my first vacation without my family. I never forgot the fun and excitement of that vacation and how incredible it was to have your own "home" following you behind the car. Fifty-eight years later I bought SilverLeaf -- despite the laughs from friends and family who said, "you'll never use it." They were all wrong. In the two plus years I've had my trailer I've taken countless short -- and long trips. All told now, about 35,000 miles and at least 100 plus days. I have enjoyed every single minute (except the Indiana Toll Road last month which I posted and generated a LOT of heat!). Maybe it's a romantic throwback to when I was a kid. SilverLeaf has given me incredible joy -- modifying it to make it "my own" -- taking it apart and making it even better -- and meeting so many truly wonderful people from my home state of NC all the way across the Nation -- recently to OR and CA -- you just cannot help but marvel at how huge the US is and how lucky we are to be seeing it and experiencing it in the comfort of an Airstream. I take great pride in being an owner, as I believe most of us here in AF do. The photos? The trailer belongs to my sister and her hubby. Yup, it's the SAME one I went to Yellowstone in back in the '50's -- my incredibly talented brother-in-law did a complete "from the frame up" on it. The other photo, my big sis and me....we caravanned together from MN all the way to Oregon together. Oh and we have so many memories, many of which we wouldn't have without that Tradewind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1367.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	222185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1313.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	527.4 KB
ID:	222186  

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
=) dats beyooteful!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My daughter predicted we would be tired of traveling within a year.

We put 146,000 miles on it together, in 6 1/2 years, and had the absolute time of our lives.

Many wonderful memories.

Maggie
Old 09-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
To me the main cost of having an Airstream is spending all my time thinking about what it would be like to quit my job, sell my house, and live on the road. I never really wanted to do that before...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Maggie, that is exactly what my daughter said. Wishful thinking on her part.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Maggie, that is exactly what my daughter said. Wishful thinking on her part.
And, sometimes they just don't get it.

Maybe when they are our age.

Although, really, you have to do it to fully appreciate it, IMHO

I could never give up the little stick house, and especially its' proximity to kids and grands, but being able to travel in a beautiful, self-contained unit is just a gift.

Maggie
Old 09-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
What an interesting thread! Filled with peoples thoughts on Airstream's and the lifestyle they afford. Well done everyone who has taken part so far...

Cheers
Doug
Old 09-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
After getting over the purchase cost of the tow vehicle (and all it's modifications since new) and the acquisition of our Classic by trading in the 25FB (and all the Classic's modifications since new), we have invested the cost of a nice sized and well furnished home in the subdivision where we live.

But that house in the subdivision will never have a different view out of it's windows nor experience the joys of a sea or lakeside camp site. The neighbors will tend to be the same folks all the time. It is what it is where it is.

Our Airstream is meant for travel and we are starting and enjoying that experience. We have meet really great folks on the road.

Who could ask for anything more?

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #24
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
waking up someplace new every day has a certain quality that is very nice....
Old 09-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
To me the main cost of having an Airstream is spending all my time thinking about what it would be like to quit my job, sell my house, and live on the road. I never really wanted to do that before...

^^ this

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:12 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
After getting over the purchase cost of the tow vehicle (and all it's modifications since new) and the acquisition of our Classic by trading in the 25FB (and all the Classic's modifications since new), we have invested the cost of a nice sized and well furnished home in the subdivision where we live.

But that house in the subdivision will never have a different view out of it's windows nor experience the joys of a sea or lakeside camp site. The neighbors will tend to be the same folks all the time. It is what it is where it is.

Our Airstream is meant for travel and we are starting and enjoying that experience. We have meet really great folks on the road.

Who could ask for anything more?
Words of wisdom. A wonderful house with an incredible view is nice. A wonderful house with multiple incredible views is an Airstream. I've been blessed to meet some wonderful neighbors in my life. You travel, and realize the world is filled with good people that are never in the news. Good people are in the majority I think, but they aren't news worthy.

We once camped at some place in Shreveport with our Westfalia Eurovan, and some older guy came out of his pickup camper, and said, "That's the one that started them all!" We had a wonderful evening hanging out with him and his wive.

I dream of backing in an Airstream 27FB into one of the sites at The Great Sand Dunes, in the spring. Watching those amazing sunsets, and being cool enough to sit around a fire in the evening.

Of course you guys have given me a gazillion other places to explore, and I thank you for that.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:09 AM   #27
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We don't have children, our parents are gone, we each have one brother who live elsewhere. The only thing tying us down is stuff. We are getting rid of the stuff.

Our house is paid for, so we will have some pocket change left over when it sells.

I am really looking forward to living minimally, but large, in an Airstream.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #28

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I recently read an interesting article about how studies show we treasure memories of experiences over things, but when given a choice we always choose things over experiences, because it's easier for our brains to place a value on the things. From now on we are prioritizing experiences over things. We have downsized significantly, and it is very freeing, and we intend to keep doing that, and grasping at every opportunity to have experiences.

It's taken me far too long in life to figure this out, but the experiences we've had around our Airstream - the people, the places, even the challenges, have been the best.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote