Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2019, 06:43 PM   #61
Campin/Fishin Guy

1973 Argosy 22
Aurora , Illinois
It may be on someones great list but I missed it. I saw fire ext. But a good first aid kit that contains basic items like a tool to remove ticks. Bug repellent and all Rx meds you may be taking. A coupler lock was mentioned, but purchase the best one money can buy. Insurance is nice the the best lock is a great deterrent to theft. enjoy your investment to the fullest!
Old 01-07-2019, 06:16 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Montrose , Colorado
#1. Adult beverages
#2. Wife for all the inside duties
#3. Fly swatter
#4. Toilet paper
#5. Remember you only go around once so have fun

😎
Bob 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:53 AM   #63
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Tempe , Arizona
1. Hitch Grip
2. Fastway chock
3. Anderson leveler
4. Magma nesting cookware
5. Ikea silicon ice cube trays and pot holders

..these are a few of my favorite things!
january2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:00 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Your wife cool with #2?
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #65
Campin/Fishin Guy

1973 Argosy 22
Aurora , Illinois
Also when it comes to hitch lock security go to You Tube and watch a video on Proven Industries Coupler Lock. If you are going to invest in one of the best campers, do not skimp on the lock so it will still be at the campground when you return from a day trip.

Also an electronic tracking device is not a bad idea either. Bill
Old 01-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Any suggestions on accommodations near JC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Zeppelin View Post
Find out from the dealer what the VIN of the unit is, and ask them when it will be built. If they can't tell you call Jackson Center and ask.

Then make plans to be at the factory for the afternoon plant tour and ask to see your trailer being built. We did just that and it was an unforgettable experience. We were allowed to take photos of our unit and enjoyed chatting with the tech installing the cabinets.

DW inspecting our trailer at JC:
Attachment 330557

Interior being assembled:
Attachment 330556
Thanks for sharing the photos and story! We’re planning to visit the end of March - have the VIN of our new GT. Do you have any recommendations on where to stay in the area? Find any restaurants you liked?
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #67
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The Globetrotter Bistro is quite good, even if you just order the cheese and a glass of wine. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Thanks for sharing the photos and story! We’re planning to visit the end of March - have the VIN of our new GT. Do you have any recommendations on where to stay in the area? Find any restaurants you liked?
No restaurant recommendations, as I think there's only the one in JC. There were no hotels in town so we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Sidney, just south of JC along the interstate. Also a Holiday Inn Express there.

We'll be going back in September for some repairs, so may be back in Sidney if we can't camp at the factory.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:40 AM   #69
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
As mentioned there is a Hampton Inn in Sidney which is about 20 minutes from JC. If you plan to stay there contact AS and they will give you a discount code.

Regrading restaurants, The Inn Between, which is about 7 miles from JC, has really good fried chicken. Worth the drive.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:53 AM   #70
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
When I went down for a factory tour to see our AS being built, I stayed in Wapakoneta OH, the home town of Neil Armstrong, north of JC off I-75. If you have time you could visit the Armstrong Air and Space Museum. The Holiday Inn Express is fine.

When I crossed the border from Canada I was asked where I was going. I tried to pronounce the name - Wapakoneta, Ohio. The border agent replied with a smile "That sounds like a place in Ohio, welcome to the USA."
Old 01-17-2019, 12:52 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
To jeffmc306 - I've traveled to JC twice now in last two months and both times stayed 11 miles from the factory at a Best Western in Wapakoneta. There is a restaurant about 2 or 3 miles from the motel - Marie's Wood-fired Kitchen and Drinks (https://www.jmarieskitchen.com) that has possibly the best bison burgers I've ever tasted. The place is a favorite of locals, can be very busy but often you can get seats at the bar for meal service. Lastly, the Jackson Center factory customer lounge area has lots of recommendations for restaurants - and you will see that many Airstreamers love Marie's.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Visited JC - Thanks to all for the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
To jeffmc306 - I've traveled to JC twice now in last two months and both times stayed 11 miles from the factory at a Best Western in Wapakoneta. There is a restaurant about 2 or 3 miles from the motel - Marie's Wood-fired Kitchen and Drinks (https://www.jmarieskitchen.com) that has possibly the best bison burgers I've ever tasted. The place is a favorite of locals, can be very busy but often you can get seats at the bar for meal service. Lastly, the Jackson Center factory customer lounge area has lots of recommendations for restaurants - and you will see that many Airstreamers love Marie's.
PatLee, thank you (and all the other posters) for sharing your tips! We stayed at the Best Western, had dinner at Marie’s and lunch the next day at The In Between.

We drove by the new Airstream facility and the ironwork is up. That’s one big building compared to the current assembly building.

We missed seeing our new GT in final assembly by one day! Gary, our tour guide found a production manager who located the VIN on his spreadsheet. He said “it will make the turn tomorrow” from fabrication to joining with the frame.

Unfortunately we couldn’t stay another day but we did see other GT’s getting their interiors installed. Hoping to get the call from our dealer soon that it arrived safely.

Thanks again to everyone for your tips!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	816F9831-C69E-4FC0-A696-CF1076A8801B.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	337715  
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
PatLee, thank you (and all the other posters) for sharing your tips! We stayed at the Best Western, had dinner at Marie’s and lunch the next day at The In Between.

We drove by the new Airstream facility and the ironwork is up. That’s one big building compared to the current assembly building.

We missed seeing our new GT in final assembly by one day! Gary, our tour guide found a production manager who located the VIN on his spreadsheet. He said “it will make the turn tomorrow” from fabrication to joining with the frame.

Unfortunately we couldn’t stay another day but we did see other GT’s getting their interiors installed. Hoping to get the call from our dealer soon that it arrived safely.

Thanks again to everyone for your tips!
Thanks for sharing...hope to make it there in the fall for some work and cushion replacment. Will have to try Maries!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:07 PM   #74
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Hello:
I have a 350 Ford Diesel 8' bed truck is 21.8 long, want to tow a 27' globetrotter wife is petrified it is to long (50'). Can anyone give advise. Are we going too long? Would like to buy a 2019 this month.
Racemosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:03 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Old Grumpy,

One’s sense of humor is an indispensable tool to have onboard IMO, lest one appear as a moron or putz.

[click on URL at top of frame to open in a new window]

Happy Trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #76
Owners of Willie

2019 27' Globetrotter
Peoria , Illinois
Ordered a Globetrotter. Now what?

We’re the same length overall. We have a 250 super duty standard bed, crew cab, and the 27’. First trailer for us. We’ve been taking it slow and have it at home so we spend time in on a little each day. What are your storage plans? We built a pole barn 32’x12’ and should have made it 14’ wide or more. It’s fine; just a little nerve wracking backing it in there and newbies. We have less than 4’ of clearance on the sides. We just need more experience. So far so good tho. We take driving trips so I can practice. Hitching and hauling isn’t a problem for me with the Equalizer hitch. Backing into nearby campgrounds went ok after about 5 tries. LOL. Everyone promises it’ll get better with time. Overall now for us it causes stress, but it’s also fun. We’re exhausted sometimes, but it feels good like we’ve accomplished something. We’re learning so much and learning how to communicate much better! It’s actually bringing us closer. We HAVE TO rely on each other.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racemosa View Post
Hello:
I have a 350 Ford Diesel 8' bed truck is 21.8 long, want to tow a 27' globetrotter wife is petrified it is to long (50'). Can anyone give advise. Are we going too long? Would like to buy a 2019 this month.
We have an F250 standard 6.5' bed with our 28'. I like the stable platform pulling the 28' AS with this combo. Not sure the longer 8' bed is what I would get. Many folks have the F250 and 350 with 27-33' AS's with standard 6.5' bed; not sure I would want the longer 8' bed unless I needed it for work reasons?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote