Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Barbara , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
This has been discussed ad nauseam. It's a matter of features of the particular trailer and what they mean to you. Nobody knows that but you.

For us, the RB Twin meant really large accessible rear storage and a larger bathroom and smaller sofa. YMMV.
We have a 30 Classic which comes with a rear bedroom. After having a 22 Sport and then a 27 Flying Cloud (both FB), we were very impressed with the huge easily accessible rear storage from the outside, after having to do contortions around the front jack to access the previous trailers’ front storage from the outside.
dmslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Belmont , California
We often back-in to sites, and we mostly sitting at the dinette looking out. So FB is better as the dinette is where the view, unobstructed by our tow vehicle.
chugchug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sacramento , California
We love our FB because we like the view out the back... so amazing to be backed up to the ocean or other amazing view.
Phoebe2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Flip a coin, buy the trailer. You will get use to it. This thread can go on forever.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I’ve only had one layout, the Globetrotter 27FB Twin. I chose it because it accommodates my family easily and the twin lets me go on adventures with friends without awkward conversations .

But I also chose it (and the GT in particular) because the light it lets in. The panoramas in the dining area and in the bedroom are always welcome. If one of them looks out onto something not enjoyable to see, we can look the other way or close the curtains.

So far on our trip to Alaska this has worked out perfectly. I’d say that at about 80% of sites our dining area has looked out directly onto water or forest. Having the steps land awkwardly on the site has only been a problem once and that was fixed by pulling forward 12” or so.

I wanted a smaller layout but not while we are a traveling family of 4. I met a family with a 30 bunk and realize that if we were full-timing as they are that would probably work best for us. But the 27FBT has been an outstanding layout for our purposes.

Everyone will have different needs and preferences on this topic.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
One factor to consider, if your TV has limited Payload (F150, Ram 1500, etc.), the RB typically yields a lower LOADED TW.

Consider the 25:
The FB has reported LOADED TWs of 1200ish pounds
The RB has reported LOADED TWs of 800ish pounds
cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Eagle , Idaho
RB or FB best?

Amy,

Ditto to what JonDNC has said. We just purchased a new International Serenity 27 FBT and feel we made the right decision now that we've been able to use the trailer on multiple trips. The Front Bed model also has the benefit of the lowest hitch weight too. We felt the fit and finish of this trailer was superior to the Flying Cloud models. Our preference is the Twin Bed. In our opinion that configuration provides more room to move around plus provides more sleeping area for both people. Twin beds are 34" x 80" while the queen is 60" x 75".
David
IdahoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
We've had 3 rear bedroom Airstreams. I think I would like a front bedroom.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
I wouldn't fret too much about front or rear bedroom...unless you can assure that EVERY campground you visit will have the same view. We've reserved from maps and tried to make intelligent decisions, but...it is really hit or miss.

Our 2019 GT has been in 6 campgrounds this year with back in-sites,1 had a nice view out the back, 4 had fences or other trailers or actual buildings (one of those also had an enormous pollen laden bush that dumped ick on everything inside and out) and 1 had a pretty good view but was right near a road and a trail that had folks constantly driving or wandering across that view (and through the camp, and bothering the dogs...).

Our last trailer had a big side window and the very first time out, we had a gorgeous view of the redwoods. Then another camper moved in...he set up and moved his picnic table so it was right there outside of our window! And, we discovered that while pull through sites are easy to get into, but often lack a scenic view.

For sleeping, if you leave your TV hooked up, the front end might be quieter because there is something (that same TV) between you and the road, but if not? It can be about the same.

So, select the trailer based on the interior and how you like that set up. That will make more difference in the long run.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:40 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Let me think, of all the campgrounds I've visited, how many had a river or ocean behind my site?
That would be zero!
Usually, it's another row of campers. Now partly that's my fault for not exploring more state and national parks...I'm working on that.

The best state park yet, Topsail Hill!
Front or rear? Neither is a dealbreaker.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
We like the view out back when camping. You don't need a view when sleeping
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ate couscous before breaking camo. Disagreed with my lower GI tract. DEAR LORD getting to that rear door and then half way back up the trayla' was dangerously uncomfortable. One bad day with an RB.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Ft Bedroom Twins

Ours is a 25 ft. We liked the interior length open depth perception the rear views and isle width, In the ft we can each sit on the bed edges. The twin beds allow amble room getting dressed , sleeping or not crawling over each other getting up in the we hours. The twin beds ft bedroom has been a great option for the two of us.

Sit in both at a dealer for a half hour to acclimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB View Post
We are considering either a 27' or 28' International Serenity or Flying Cloud. Just me & Hubby (and kitty) but we are in a quandary as to which floor plan is best. Front or rear bedroom? We've heard some campsites you back into the 'view" which is why I am thinking FB. I would really appreciate any pros &/or cons from the field. Thanks!
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Monterey , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB View Post
I want FB with the couch area seperate from the dinette area. Guess we need do some research on how many of the campsites are back-in. lol

Thanks
My wife and I wanted exactly what you're asking for. Separate couch area from the dinette. In both Flying Cloud and International Serenity that layout is only available in RB. We got the RB.
RosenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Along with SteveSueMac we love our rear dinette for the privacy and views. Front bedroom is fine. We close the drapes for privacy. From what I can tell, the 27 International and Flying Cloud both have the longer couch. Our 25FB is the same layout with less storage space. Have fun shopping!
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
The good news is you cannot go wrong with either. We faced the same dilemma, and opted for a Serenity 28 RBQ We like the separate, more traditional dinette layout of the 28. One consideration that may get overlooked is exterior storage. With a FBQ, your only exterior storage is on the front, and partially blocked by the propane tanks. You can’t slide anything big into it. Our RBQ rear storage is easy to access.
Whatever you get, go for the 50 amp/dual AC.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
I imagine you are tired of reading responses. But, I will throw in my two cents worth (which is nothing due to inflation). My spouse and I enjoy our 26 RBT. Several reasons--(1) The rear beds, in a back in site, allow a little more distance from those traveling the road. So less noise, and more privacy. (2) The twin beds allow more interior and exterior storage than a (short) queen. (3) I personally prefer a door closer to the front of the trailer. Sometimes, a back in spot is not that conducive to having a rear entrance. So, rear beds take the prize here. Like many have said, it's up to you in the end. All we fellow owners can offer is our personal choices, which may or not be the same as yours. Remember, all AirStream travel is good travel. Best wishes and have fun!
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:14 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2002 30' Classic
1995 30' Excella
Ellensburg , Washington
Hi, I agree with you about sitting on the sofa. In our 30' classics I would curl up on the sofa and watch tv or whatever and wondered about this layout. But I just put a pillow at the end of the dinette and stretch out. I have the table right there to put stuff on and it really works for me. There is plenty of room for guests to sit on the sofa as well. The twin bed setup is something that we were excited to get back to. It really opens up the space instead of having to scootch around the bed. Love it!
As for why we downsized, well that's just our time of life that we didn't need all the extra room. This is easier to get into spaces and pull. Believe it or not it is easier for us to roadtrip with the grandkids too. They are more comfortable in the sleeping area and can go into the bedroom and watch tv or play their stupid electronics at night if need be. I know, but sometimes it just works. But this is just our preference. Good luck to you!
dcineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
North-Central , Florida
We chose the FB twin in our 25FC for the following reasons: 1. for back-in sites, we prefer the view from dinette to be out back and away from road and more "private". 2. sleeping closer to TV we can better hear if there are uninvited "visitors" during the night. That said, the FB model may have a slightly greater tongue weight when the trailer is loaded.
djbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbar View Post
We chose the FB twin in our 25FC for the following reasons: 1. for back-in sites, we prefer the view from dinette to be out back and away from road and more "private". 2. sleeping closer to TV we can better hear if there are uninvited "visitors" during the night. That said, the FB model may have a slightly greater tongue weight when the trailer is loaded.
I think my 2018 Serenity 28 RBQ is tongue heavy at 963 lbs loaded. That is after putting anything heavy over the axles or under the rear bed.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote