Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #61
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I will try to find a local youth who has not have the opportunity to trailer or tent camp in Castle Rock and take him along for Wyoming... Just have to figure out where to find this pre teen guy...
We're not going to be hearing about you on the evening news for violation of the Mann Act, are we?
Old 02-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
This young man will learn to get dirty, sweaty and realize that there IS an alternative to a cell phone... which will not be part of the long list of items needed when hiking.

There is nothing to open one's eyes that another world exists, requiring a shovel as your restroom toilet lever... and a dog IS your best friend.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:03 PM   #63
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
There is nothing to open one's eyes that another world exists, requiring a shovel as your restroom toilet lever... and a dog IS your best friend.
I remember those days, though not necessarily fondly. Building four miles of five-strand barbed-wire fence one weekend in August in southwest Oklahoma was not fun.

But I have to admit that I learned one thing from the experience— a post-hole digger makes for a much neater pit latrine than does a shovel.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
CWF... when good people decide to do something, good things happen.

I will try to find a local youth who has not have the opportunity to trailer or tent camp in Castle Rock and take him along for Wyoming... Just have to figure out where to find this pre teen guy...
You know, Ray....if you're serious about that, might contact some church pastors, community outreach centers, whatever you have there, for youth groups that would have kids that might just be interested in something like this.

They will know the kids, might send one or two with a staff member.

It could be a great opportunity for kids, and for you to share your knowledge.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Maggie... thank you. I will take your advice... and you are a referral.

I was taken to Blackwell, Oklahoma in 1965 to dig Selenite Sand Crystals in the Salt Flats. An Old Young Couple took me along. They slept in the motel room with other Rock Club members... and I slept in the back of the pickup truck with a shell.

I still remember that trip. I remember digging those selenite crystal clusters and the salt water seeping into the expanding hole I was working.

Gave all the crystals to everyone who thought they were... neat. Have none left today, but the memory of those kind generous people, have remained my entire life.

I will never be an Old Airstream traveler. Just a bit slower over time.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:43 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I grew up on a ranch in western SD. I also built and fixed a lot of fence. We had about 25 miles of it to handle. I am amused when people worrry about a latrine in the west. We had 600 hd. of cattle, 300 chickens, 150 hogs and 4 of us guys. All the "by product" just fell on the ground and disappeared. We never thought anything of it. In Utah I would guess human waste would last about 2 days before there was no trace.

Well on to the subject of "wide open spaces" and us old and the young. It seems to me being there is very good for all of us.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:26 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Reading through these posts... I am feeling much younger.

I thought I was the oldest on this thread. Apparently not. Or someone is not telling the truth. Women can never be trusted.

larryglarson and I know what a "post hole digger" looks like. I have two in my garage in Colorado and they do work. Have tried to give one away, but everyone on my street knows what they are used. I had some demonstration pegs, about 10 feet apart in my back yard for someone to practice using it.

There are Fourth of July gatherings out West that have "Cow Paddie Tosses". Don't see that in going in New York City.

Leadville, Colorado has an "Outhouse Race" down main street. Don't see that in Princeton, Iowa.

They have "Mutton Busting" in the Summers at Fort Robinson, Nebraska. You will not see that in San Clemente, California.

They have "Ostrich Racing" at the Castle Rock, Colorado Fairgrounds... now that you might just want to see. Riders are needed...

We that are beyond two score... may think we have seen it all, but then something comes around that astonishes all!
Old 02-16-2016, 07:34 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You are only as old as you feel....as long as body and mind don't fail me, I'm going to go til I can't go no more.

Such a privilege to be able to do this. I am grateful for it every day.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2016, 07:42 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:

I thought I was the oldest on this thread. Apparently not. Or someone is not telling the truth.

Based on some of your musings Ray, not even close....

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
You are only as old as you feel....as long as body and mind don't fail me, I'm going to go til I can't go no more. . .
Maggie:

I have a slightly modified philosophy for older guys like me . . . you're only as old as the women you feel.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #71
Rivet Master

Smile

[QUOTE=Lily&Me;1750244]You are only as old as you feel....as long as body and mind don't fail me, I'm going to go til I can't go no more.

Such a privilege to be able to do this. I am grateful for it every day.

Maggie, the enclosed quote is on target! Seize the day....every day!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:05 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Maggie:

I have a slightly modified philosophy for older guys like me . . . you're only as old as the women you feel.
Cute.

Maggie
Old 02-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #73
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Reading through these posts... I am feeling much younger........

There are Fourth of July gatherings out West that have "Cow Paddie Tosses". Don't see that in going in New York City........
Philmont Scout Ranch, Cimarron, New Mexico.

Independence Day B-B-Q featuring Buffalo Chip Throwing contest (they have their own herd). Pretty cool. And you won't see that event in many places at all, even in the west.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:03 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
This is the most wonderful thread. Yes, we like many have our health problems, but when you just "go for it" you forget your problems and have fun. Talking about buffalo chips makes me think of the kids in the west out gathering them for the fire. Makes me think of the fact that people domesticated animals some 5000 years ago and we still do not know what to do with the "chips".

I say let us "old farts" have fun and keep pulling our trailers into the fun.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:18 AM   #75
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Life.....

George Carlins take on getting 'old'....

"The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends.

I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time.

What do you get at the end of it?

A death.

What's that, a bonus?

I think the life cycle is all backwards
You should die first; get it out of the way.

Then you live in an old age home.

You get kicked out when you're too young, you get a gold watch,
you go to work.

You work forty years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement.

You drink alcohol, you party, you get ready for high school.

You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a little baby, you go back into the womb, You spend your last nine months floating...

Then you finish off as an orgasm.

I rest my case"

Bob
Old 02-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
George Carlins take on getting 'old'....

"The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends.

I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time.

What do you get at the end of it?

A death.

What's that, a bonus?

I think the life cycle is all backwards
You should die first; get it out of the way.

Then you live in an old age home.

You get kicked out when you're too young, you get a gold watch,
you go to work.

You work forty years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement.

You drink alcohol, you party, you get ready for high school.

You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a little baby, you go back into the womb, You spend your last nine months floating...

Then you finish off as an orgasm.

I rest my case"

Bob
Yeah, I could so do this, especially going out with a BANG! I'm up for it.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Women can never be trusted?!! Well this one can!

Quote:

I thought I was the oldest on this thread. Apparently not. Or someone is not telling the truth. Women can never be trusted.
Well I may be a decade or so younger, but THIS woman is doggoned proud of every one of her 55.5 years dammit! I'd do all the candles on my birthday cakes if it wasn't a hazard or set off smoke alarms. You can trust me dude, I'm the girl fighting off the old lady who is taking over my body without my permission.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Yep... I am fighting off the same old lady taking over my body, but with her permission. Must be that Tee Shirt Lady ad getting to me.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:42 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I'm also fighting off an old lady trying to take over my body----she's my wife, and she's winning!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Interesting thread - different story, in fact I might just write a book. Met my bride in high school, 50 years ago, married for 48, which makes us 68. We both agree we could not have been luckier to find each other. Our parents did not agree, but to their credit signed the papers for me, in the military, to get married. She followed me, except for a short tour while I was in the USAF, in fact we were married in a small base chapel in Mississippi and we are from New York. 50th High School reunion this June.

We have camped in some form for 45 years, tents, Canoe Camping near the artic circle, to luxury motorhomes and three Airstreams, including our present. Two wonderful kids, no grandkids with none expected. Our kids do not camp, loved it when we did, talk about it all the time, but have zero time due to their careers - too bad.

My wife and I have had the opportunity to grow together and our interests meld as one most often. Prior to retirement two years ago I became more and more interested in dogs, dog behavior and dog rehabilitation. My good friends were and are K9 Handlers. So, I took the type A personality and got into it. Now a professional rehabilitation person with dogs - we take abused, neglected and dog fighting or bait dogs and help them come around to an adoptable and family acceptable state. In three years we have only failed three times and those dogs are with us in our kennels, we've successfully re-homed over 1,200 dogs in two years. I also train on the side and have two Therapy Dogs whom we visit Hospice and Nursing homes three days a week with. I trained both and as a team we are certified with the dogs. We travel and camp in our AS about 5 months a year and I volunteer where ever we go in some capacity - as dog trainer, dog walker at rescues or this summer as a tour guide and grass cutter at an Historical Fish Hatchery.

I think as long as one has the mental capacity to move forward one should make every effort. I have three breaks in my back and three herniated discs, an incurable lung disease, but as one of my doctors said, "pain is natures way of telling you that you are alive". So we walk four miles a day, then I "go to work" with the dogs or to Hospice or helping someone with a "dog issue", the money I charge which is a lot is signed over to our dog Rescue.

Life is good, we are closer as a couple than we were 50 years ago, not the same, but closer. Many younger couples ask us how 48 years; we work at respecting each other first and foremost every day.

"I want to be running when the sand runs out".

My Best to you all - I wish everyone on this thread and on the forums the best of health and the happiest of times, hope to see you all on the road.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote